Nike Human Race 10K (Read 2548 times)

Also ran in Chicago, and had a nice race. I thought the organizers did a pretty damn good job handling the 14,000 runner crowd, and everything seemed to go off without a hitch.
    I agree, very well organized in Chicago. The heat got to me pretty badly...its tough to train for this when the weather has been a lot cooler lately. Sorry to hear about the bad course in NY and the heat/humidity in Austin.

fanreffic

I ran it all by my lonesome - Toronto was not one of the chosen race towns. We only have about 5 million people here and a really nice waterfront, but guess we don't count. Roll eyes I had a personal PR - yay! It was hot and humid and I wasn't going to run it but once I got going, I thought oh, what the heck and I switched on the Nike + iPod for a 10k run and went for it. Tiger Woods himself congratulated me with my new PR at the end. Cool Good idea, Nike. (Despite what Daddyo says Tongue Clowning around )
      Also from Toronto, but was in NYC for labor day weekend and raced there taking a poorly chosen break from a great full family vacation. As for Toronto being off the list most of the cities were international. Only 4 were chosen from the states. And Vancouver deserved the Canadian nod due to the success of the Sun Run 10k which does a great job with close to 50,000 participants. Heck, even Boston didn't make the cut. And Frankly if NYC couldn't secure Central Park as the race venue they should've been off the list too. My favorite part of the race was the ferry home! I was stuck on that forsaken bridge for 3-4 minutes of foot shuffling. At the end of the day wished I was back home or ran it solo in Central Park. Although I admit that I could be more bitter than most since I've lost the NYC Marathon lottery 2 out of the last 3 years (skipped last year after having kid #2, so my count only stands at 1). So, I was counting of this race as my chance to experience some of that NYC magic as part of this mega-race also put on by the NYRR. I always wanted NYC to be my 1st Full marathon, but this has left a bad taste in my mouth.
        I'm no Nike apologist, but one thing people should understand is that Nike does not actually handle the staging of these races. Nike hires subcontractors in each city, and the subcontractor is responsible for securing the venue, setting the course, and staging the event. While I'm sure Nike is involved in much of the higher level planning and cross-city coordination, the individual event managers run the show in each city. This may help explain why some cities had great staging and well-organized events, and other cities had problems. Case in point: The NY race was produced by mktgpartners and New York Road Runners. The Chicago, LA, and Austin races were produced by On Board Entertainment (in some cases with a local partner). (Info taken from each city's FAQ on the Nike website.)

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Jazz hands!

Is anyone else having an issue with getting their time off the website? As a back-of-the-packer, the clock time was way off for me, and I'd love to know my chip time. They said at some point they weren't giving "official" times to anyone finsihing after 1:15, and I did 1:20 something... anyone know?
          run run run AHHHHHH run run run

Outside Lane

Make sure you enter your first name and last name the same as when you registered. It worked for me. They did say that that had to finish 1:15 or less to get an official time. I didn't mean to diss Nike or the organizers in my earlier post. I had a great time at the race, I was just surprised that there were so many things happening in the 30 mins before the race (like posting where the starting corrals were - and getting the timing mats down at the start). All the water stops were well run - lots of goodies at the end. Good entertainment along the route. It was very cool to see such a large crowd come out for a race at 6:30 in the evening.

See how they run...

I run for Fried Chicken!

Is anyone else having an issue with getting their time off the website? As a back-of-the-packer, the clock time was way off for me, and I'd love to know my chip time. They said at some point they weren't giving "official" times to anyone finsihing after 1:15, and I did 1:20 something... anyone know?
              I think they said not all times will be posted until 9/3. My time and my brother in law's times are up but my sister's isn't. Not sure how they are doing it because we all finished at the same time.

Jazz hands!

Hm. My friend who finished in 1:23:08 got her time off the website, so now I have to find a computer with flash. Stupid work PC.

#artbydmcbride

Did everyone else get a strange wristband in a baton at the finish?

Runners run

Another Passion

Congrats on the PR, Berner.

Rick
                    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                    "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                    runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Jazz hands!

Yes! And I have been wearing it to work everyday in the hopes that someone will say, "Hey, nice bracelet!" and then I will tell them how awesome I am for running 6.2 miles. Still no chip time. BOO.

#artbydmcbride

Smile You are awesome Squeaky!

Runners run

xor

Can someone describe this "strange wristband in a baton"? I'm having difficulty envisioning the baton's role.

#artbydmcbride

Big grin It is a hollow baton that opens up and there was a red adjustable wristband with a metal tag on it, inside the baton. Clear? Smile

Runners run

xor

Big grin It is a hollow baton that opens up and there was a red adjustable wristband with a metal tag on it, inside the baton. Clear? Smile
                              I think so. Odd.

I kinda like it. It nicely covers the pasty untanned band on my wrist where I wear my watch during runs.
                                Congrats on the PR, Berner.
                                Thanks! Smile

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.