mediocrity (Read 451 times)

Why is running the only sport where mediocrity is not only accepted but praised? It reminds me of the courtesy clap that is given to all of the runners who just finish the race. This may be the reason that Americans cannot compete on the world stage.

Note: this is not a jab at people who train hard for their own personal goals, but the mindset of races having a lot of swag, chip timing and getting praised just for showing up.

Feeling the growl again

2 of 10 on the troll scale.  Too obvious.  Keep trying, you'll get the hang of it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

There are more bad golfers than bad runners .

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

A Saucy Wench

Hah, golf was exactly what I was thinking of.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

You should see all the bad walkers out there.

Why do some people make really stupid posts in Running Ahead.......

Champions are made when no one is watching

I multi-task, I am both...

Why is running the only sport where

Breaking news. All mediocre hobbyists who participate in group events get sunshine blown up their asses. It's just that running is more bucket listy  than other hobbies right now.

And what Spaniel said.

Mr MattM

I accept and praise mediocrity out of a thankfulness for being so much better than they, and out of a genuine compassion for those who are less skilled and accomplished among us.

Yes, Leopold, I accept and praise you.

be curious; not judgmental

SheCan

It'd be awfully sad if only the most amazing, elite people could do hobbies.  Most of us would sit around not being able to do anything.  Sorry to tell you, but there are many mediocre people in all hobbies--- from music to shooting hoops to playing video games.  Some become the top rated, and us lousy ones make them look good.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I try to do my part to make everyone else look good.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Wing

Joggaholic

Breaking news. All mediocre hobbyists who participate in group events get sunshine blown up their asses.

Woohoo!!! Big grin

"If something is worth doing it is worth doing badly." Attributed to G.K. Chesterton.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

jicama

Did we win?

I run races to give the rest of you someone to pass at the end.  Smile

I showed my kids the medal I got for finishing a half-marathon.  My son called it a "participation medal".  No matter how many people that "didn't get off the couch" that I finished before, he's right...

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

Just B.S.

I embrace my mediocrity and celebrate it with all the lackluster enthusiasm I can muster.