First time I've ever been ticketed while running in Chicago (Read 1483 times)

JimR

There are no ads appearing for demin running shorts.  I'm disappointed.

jicama

Did we win?

[...] sadly, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

It would be if I were on the jury.  It used to be a general principal - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_rea

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

Men's rea is an intent to commit the act.  It has no direct bearing on knowledge of that act's legality (unless such knowledge is an element of the crime).

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Prince of Fatness

(why garden when I can support so many local small farms)

Because it is something that you enjoy doing.

Although your point about supporting the locals is taken and I agree.  What I cannot grow I try to buy local,

Not at it at all. 

Men's rea is an intent to commit the act.  It has no direct bearing on knowledge of that act's legality (unless such knowledge is an element of the crime).

True, but given the circumstances, I believe it would be ridiculous if men's rea, was not taken into consideration.  I have a real bad feeling about this case though, since I was shocked that men's rea was thrown out the door, when the cop originally pulled me over.

xhristopher

Prince of Fatness

Nice logo

Not at it at all. 

Outside Lane

Maybe it's just me, but this reads like a Seinfeld episode.  I just can't decide if it's Kramer or George running in the cut-offs.  I can see Cosmo getting Jackie Chiles to fight it.  If the shorts don't fit....you must acquit.

Maybe it should be Newman running....  Smile

See how they run...

You'd think that driving without a wreck would be a good thing, right? :-)

That's what I say!  I may drive fast on the open road, but in 25 years of driving, I have never hit shit. Big grin

Good thing my Insurance company has never picked up on the fact I got a ticket... I insure 2009 and 2013 vehicles (both over 30K vehicles at time of purchase), and I am only paying about $480.00 every 6 months when I renew.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Actually our yard has been nothing but headaches.

Tell me about it!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I do (not going to leave it in the car). I also carry a credit card, health care card, cell phone and money. Fuelbelt and Race Ready shorts make it easy---pockets! It's the responsible/prepared thing to do. One never knows...

Not me. I'm a minimalist when it comes to running.  I'd run naked, except I'd probably get a ticket.

ymmv

I used google street view from your gps track to see where you ran. I think you ran down the sidewalk, towards the viewer, in this first picture. I don't think you ran on the asphalt paved path next to the tracks (with people on it). Maybe the asphalt is a passenger platform.

sidewalk

For the next picture, I turned 180 degrees to see what your options were to continue straight. You could either use the Ace Hardware alley/parking lot entrance to the left, the clear area that looks like a path next to the tracks, or you could cross the tracks and run along a parallel road.

choices

I went to the other end of this stretch for a view of where you would have come out. I see no warnings or barriers for the clear path next to the tracks, You would be running towards the viewer here. The Ace Hardware lot is to the right, just out of view on the other side of the trees.

exit

Julia1971

Nice work, YMMV!

I have no idea what this thread is about but it's fascinating.

zonykel

That's what I say!  I may drive fast on the open road, but in 25 years of driving, I have never hit shit. Big grin

Good thing my Insurance company has never picked up on the fact I got a ticket... I insure 2009 and 2013 vehicles (both over 30K vehicles at time of purchase), and I am only paying about $480.00 every 6 months when I renew.

Ah, sorry the "joke" wasn't clear. it was just a play on words (wreckless vs. reckless).

Ah, sorry the "joke" wasn't clear. it was just a play on words (wreckless vs. reckless).

Lol.  Well, I am a dense one.  Every joke and play on words goes over my head initially... :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞