Does your family support your running? (Read 1715 times)

Umm... yes and no. My wife is supportive of my running until it comes time for me to run. Sound weird? Case in point. My first marathon was the Disney Marathon in 2003. I had not even considered doing a marathon as it was my first year running, but my wife found a brochure from the American Stroke Association that basically said if you run the marathon (and of course raise money) you get a free trip to Disney. She was all for the free trip and watching me in the marathon, but any time I had to do a long run I got crap. Same thing now, she is for my running but doesnt want anything long or anything that would interfere with her sleeping in on Saturdays. But on the other side of this coin, she does like to actually come see me race. Her and the kids cheer me on and are always there for the finish (well, except last sunday, but it was Palm Sunday). It is just the actual training to get me there that she seems to dislike.
    She's sending you mixed signals! The sleeping in thing is rough. On the weekend when it's my husband's only chance to not wake up at 5:00 a.m., I have to be real careful about planning an early morning wake up. I've slept in the other room a few times a night before a race or early run, just to keep from waking him up too early. For my non-running friends they can't grasp the concept of training. They ask about races from time to time but always act shocked when I mention a long run, or how many times I've run that week. Sometimes I wonder if there is a person out there who has never "trained" and only runs races. Confused Big grin

Michelle

Hi Michelle, I have a similar problem, and got a few good advices from the colleagues: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/cd3190cb2a9f435fb982b470e2680861 Slightly I'm getting, not really support, but at least some kind of understanding from my wife, that I'm in for the long run. However, whenever she hears some kind of comment about the risks of running, she supports those comments unconditionally, not much I can do about it I guess. Undecided Well, at least when I'm running I'm alone, so I can fully enjoy it Smile
      Thanks for the link. I can relate to how your wife reacts to hearing the risks of running. My husband recently got into a chat with some co-workers about running and they only had negative stories about friends who used to be runners but had to stop due to running related injuries. I heard ALL ABOUT THAT.

Michelle

It may not be about you running faster than him. He could be jealous over the time you spend away from the house. Or that you're making new friends while you run. Or that you've got an activity that is yours and yours alone. Unless there is a real, concrete reason that he thinks you're hurting yourself (like a prior injury), I think it's safe to say he's jealous.
        I invite him along for all of my runs, with friends or when I go alone. The other day I called to ask if I could run with him after work and he told me no. He said "I'm not feeding your addiction". So, I went home and made dinner while he went out and ran. Angry Once dinner was on the table I headed out and got my run in and had to quit when it got too dark. I don't have any prior injuries really. I rolled my ankle during a soccer game and that hurt more than anything I've done during running. I don't complain to him about my aches and pains, I know he'll use them against me.

Michelle

I invite him along for all of my runs, with friends or when I go alone. The other day I called to ask if I could run with him after work and he told me no. He said "I'm not feeding your addiction". So, I went home and made dinner while he went out and ran. Angry Once dinner was on the table I headed out and got my run in and had to quit when it got too dark.
          Wow. I could actually feel my blood pressure rising as I read that. I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this. I wish I had some good advice to give you, but I don't. It's really too bad your husband can't take some tips from you aunt. IMHO, he should be just as proud of you. And he should show it.

Amy

The Greatest of All Time

I have scheduled my runs at times when my wife is either still in bed or is at the gym or the forrest preserve with me. She knows I need that time for me regardless of which physical activity I am doing. I was a workout nut when we met so she knew what she was getting in to. She thinks I am a bit OCD about being in shape, but there are worse things to be. I do think getting her up early on weekends to go to races with me will get old. I like Jake's post though. It was spot on.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            JakeKnight

I invite him along for all of my runs, with friends or when I go alone. The other day I called to ask if I could run with him after work and he told me no. He said "I'm not feeding your addiction". So, I went home and made dinner while he went out and ran. Angry Once dinner was on the table I headed out and got my run in and had to quit when it got too dark.
              Commenting on other peoples' relationships is second only to commenting on their parenting in terms of getting yourself in trouble, so I'm treading very carefully here ... But somethin' ain't right there. That is wack. And yes, I said wack. I'm building street cred. The fact that the kool kids quit using 'wack' in 1996 should not diminish my cred. Honestly ... that is just .... wack. I keep trying to find some better word, but "wack" just fits the bill. As in, "off." Inexplicably wrong. I checked your log to make sure I wasn't missing something. Yes, you've been running consistently good mileage (GREAT job, by the way) - but you're still averaging not much more than an hour a day. On something that betters you in countless ways. An hour is nothing. The average American watches 20+ hours of TV a week. EVERYBODY could benefit from an hour a day of serious exercise. And if a mother of four children does it, well, that's an inspiration to everybody. Sorry, I just don't understand why he's not your biggest cheerleader at this point. Hell, my running is just about the only thing in my life that my better half DOES approve of - because she recognizes how beneficial it is to so many other aspects of my life. I don't think she'd let me quit if I wanted to at this point. (Not to mention the fact that a 3 hour long run means 3 hours of having the house to herself ...) I'm shutting up now before I get myself in trouble. But I really, really, really don't get it. Especially that part I just quoted. I agree with Dragon up there - that actually kind of pissed me off. I can't even think of a better way (well, mostly) for a couple to spend time together than running. I dream about having a full time running partner. Sigh. Didn't I say I was shutting up? Good luck to you. Slap your husband for me.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

AMEN Jake!! MTA: kids will be gone this weekend and dh already planned for us to run together. I'll have to express my thanks to him!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

My wife complains that we don't run together often enough, although not in the winter. She doesn't run much in the winter normally or at all now with law school.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Family Support, I have a happy story, and a sad story for family support. Big grin Happy Story: My immediate family (mother, siblings, aunts and uncles) love that I run. None of them will ever join but are impressed that I can run more than a mile at a time and do races. I always get pats on the backs from them. It makes me feel great! Cry Sad Story: I was married, have a son and worked a my 8 - 5 job. I would get up at 5 A.M. to do my 3 - 5 miles every other day. Go to work and then come home and spend the evening with my son and wife. My son was under 0 - 1 years old. So I helped at night when he wasn't sleeping through the whole night. I'm an awesome dad if I might add. My wife was a stay at home mother. My running schedule was fine and worked well unless my boy was up. My wife would get frusterated and verbally abusive because I wasn't helping out enough... ANY how... That was only if it was time for my run at 5 AM. That was the only time I asked for personal time. 4 - 5 hours a week... Long story short, now single Wink happy and I can run on my own schedule.
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Commenting on other peoples' relationships is second only to commenting on their parenting in terms of getting yourself in trouble, so I'm treading very carefully here ...
                      Good point JK, so I too will tread carefully. But here's the thing. Mississippi, I've been noticing these kinds of posts from you ever since I started posting at RA. Sometimes, you've been very direct in voicing complaints, sometimes your simply mention off-handedly the way your hubby rolled his eyes about your running. But in any case, I've been seeing this sort of under-current for about the last year. Ask yourself whether this sort of insulting, demeaning treatment only takes place with regards to running, or whether it exists elsewhere in your relationship. I would guess that it's not just limited to running. I agree with everyone that there's something more going on. Could be jealousy, but I think it's more complex than that. Have you actually talked to him about the way he treats you? In a non-confrontational way, you should really express how much it hurts you the way he doesn't support your running, and how much it would mean to you if you had his love and support rather than his insults. You won't get anywhere being confrontational, but if you can have it be a discussion, rather than an argument, and calmly express your real feelings (i.e. it doesn't just "bug" you, it really hurts), then at least you can convey your side of the story. Because he certainly won't stop doing this if you just ignore it. Are you afraid to have that kind of open, vulnerable, discussion with him? Well, that points to another problem there. Hope this helps.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Are you afraid to have that kind of open, vulnerable, discussion with him? Well, that points to another problem there. Hope this helps.
                        This is a valid question and maybe there's something to it if I dig deep enough, but honestly I think it stems from how I know he's a man who sees life in only black & white and while I mostly see the whole spectrum of colors I can't make him see things the way I do. I pick my battles carefully and throughout the past year I've attempted to push aside the need to have an "all out" discussion about my running, however, I think that time is fast approaching. I won't talk him into accepting it, or responding differently, but at least it will make him realize that it's not going away and that he needs to decide on how to pick his battles. MTA: We have talked casually about running so I have an idea of how it would go, which doesn't make me look forward to it. It simply adds to his confirmation that I'm "addicted" to it.

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Just remember to try not to go into this thinking it's a battle. You won't like where that goes. Your husband no doubt loves you and doesn't want to hurt you. So you need to let him know (in a non-confrontational manner) that what he perceives as clever insults or zingers really do hurt you. You're not likely to all-the-sudden turn him into your running cheerleader, so at the very least, if you don't have his support, you should stop having the insults. It's obvious that running means a lot to you; you should let him know that his support and encouragement would mean a lot, and if he just can't do that, he should at the very least stop being hurtful about it. MTA: This is not about running. It's about how he is insulting you and hurting your feelings. The discussion really needs to be about how you feel, not how far or fast or how much or how often you run.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

MTA: This is not about running. It's about how he is insulting you and hurting your feelings. The discussion really needs to be about how you feel, not how far or fast or how much or how often you run.
                            You know what, maybe moving in with Rockenmamof5 will be easier - I know I'd never get ------> Roll eyes from her about my running. Big grin (Pam, tell the kids to make room!)

Michelle

You're not likely to all-the-sudden turn him into your running cheerleader, so at the very least, if you don't have his support, you should stop having the insults. It's obvious that running means a lot to you; you should let him know that his support and encouragement would mean a lot, and if he just can't do that, he should at the very least stop being hurtful about it. MTA: This is not about running. It's about how he is insulting you and hurting your feelings. The discussion really needs to be about how you feel, not how far or fast or how much or how often you run.
                              He has gotten better, and it wasn't until recently that his negative comments started back up. For a while we were running together more often. With an upcoming 5k, one that he'll be running in too, he is cheering me on to out race my 16 y/o. This is the first time that he's ever rooted for me, but since it's against my son I'm not sure how to react!! He would be in for the competition too but since this will be my daughter's first 5k he said he wants to run it with her so I can race. He's always fine about my running 5k races. Maybe he just needs more time to accept the further distances.

Michelle

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I have to say that my husband supports my running 100%. I've been doing only 25 miles a week or so at this point, but I'm so slow those miles take me awhile! I'm really trying to make it 6 days a week (last week I got sick so I couldn't). I'm aiming for 28 miles this week. It IS inconvenient for him sometimes, because we work together in our business and he counts on me. Sometimes he even has to tell a client it will be another day before we get a submittal turned in. But he has seen how much I've changed, physically and emotionally, so he accepts the situation. He's even acknowledged the fact that I can run farther than he can! Smile Today he was bragging to the YMCA director about me, and also our kids who are running, and they want to highlight our family in their monthly newsletter. If you'd told me that two years ago, I would have thought you were crazy. Of course, I haven't told my husband that my real goal is to get up to at least 40 miles a week! One mile at a time, I figure. Michelle, I hope you and your husband can come to an agreement. It does sounds as if he's being awfully hard on you. Occasionally in the past, my husband has acted like that when he feels that he's not getting enough attention. Do you think that could be part of it? I would say, "Yeah, but I've got three kids under the age of 6 to take care of," and he would make it clear that he should still be No. 1. I agree to that principle in theory, but it's hard when you're worn out from taking care of little ones.