Does your family support your running? (Read 1715 times)

The Greatest of All Time

Glo bule sounds a lot like Dr. Phil. I make it a point not to give out personal advice but I have to agree with Phil glo bule. I am on wife #2. In 1996 when I got back into running I was 210 lbs and smoking 1/2 pack a day. I had a crap diet and felt like I was 50. I lost 50 pounds in 5 months, etc, etc. Wife #1 called my running "stupid". Wife #1 got left in 1997 and divorced in 1998. Wife #1 now weighs at least 200lbs. Marcus 71 is a very lean and mean 170 Roll eyes. Wife #1 can kiss my ass. Wife #2 loves the way I look and how I [cough cough] perform. Wife #2 would leave my ass if I got fat and lazy and I wouldn't blame her.
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Prophet!

Oh....Withholding sex !?! Why would I want to punish myself too? I'm greedy I want both. Big grin
      Want to move to Hawaii ? You'll definitely have my support Shy
        I have to say that my husband supports my running 100%. I've been doing only 25 miles a week or so at this point, but I'm so slow those miles take me awhile! I'm really trying to make it 6 days a week (last week I got sick so I couldn't). I'm aiming for 28 miles this week. It IS inconvenient for him sometimes, because we work together in our business and he counts on me. Sometimes he even has to tell a client it will be another day before we get a submittal turned in. But he has seen how much I've changed, physically and emotionally, so he accepts the situation. He's even acknowledged the fact that I can run farther than he can! Smile Today he was bragging to the YMCA director about me, and also our kids who are running, and they want to highlight our family in their monthly newsletter. If you'd told me that two years ago, I would have thought you were crazy. Of course, I haven't told my husband that my real goal is to get up to at least 40 miles a week! One mile at a time, I figure. Michelle, I hope you and your husband can come to an agreement. It does sounds as if he's being awfully hard on you. Occasionally in the past, my husband has acted like that when he feels that he's not getting enough attention. Do you think that could be part of it? I would say, "Yeah, but I've got three kids under the age of 6 to take care of," and he would make it clear that he should still be No. 1. I agree to that principle in theory, but it's hard when you're worn out from taking care of little ones.
        That's wonderful that your husband is so supportive now and how he brags about you, this is a great sign of how he'll be down the road. The attention factor isn't too much of a concern since I really do work hard on running when the timing is best for the house. It'll work out. I'm just very curious about how everyone else's families view their running.

Michelle

Want to move to Hawaii ? You'll definitely have my support Shy
          Oh I'd love to! Guess I'd better bring my gloves, you already told me that I'd have to pick up rocks in the backyard, remember that?!? Tongue

Michelle

Glo bule sounds a lot like Dr. Phil. I make it a point not to give out personal advice but I have to agree with Phil glo bule. I am on wife #2. In 1996 when I got back into running I was 210 lbs and smoking 1/2 pack a day. I had a crap diet and felt like I was 50. I lost 50 pounds in 5 months, etc, etc. Wife #1 called my running "stupid". Wife #1 got left in 1997 and divorced in 1998. Wife #1 now weighs at least 200lbs. Marcus 71 is a very lean and mean 170 Roll eyes. Wife #1 can kiss my ass. Wife #2 loves the way I look and how I [cough cough] perform. Wife #2 would leave my ass if I got fat and lazy and I wouldn't blame her.
            I greatly appreciate all advice, Dr. Phillish or otherwise. Big grin Sounds like wife #1 is kicking herself in the butt right about now!

Michelle

Oh Mighty Wing

Wife #2 loves the way I look and how I [cough cough] perform.
              hehehe... and really it is all about performing!

Oh Mighty Wing

stupid broken button on the computer... sorry for the double!

The Greatest of All Time

Sounds like wife #1 is kicking herself in the butt right about now!
                  Considering that since we split up I went to college and then law school, yeah I am sure she's kicking herself in the butt. Her husband #2 could turn a funeral up an alley.
                  all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

It'll work out.
                    I hope so. Good luck, Michelle. Just me mindful of the fact the you deserve to not have your feelings trampled upon. Note: My wife and I have been together for 13 years, married for the last 6-1/2. It has been a rough ride at times. I have been "that guy." Things didn't just work out, we had to work at them, and that included a lot of counseling. Hence, my ability to convincingly do Dr. Phil-speak (I'm still working on his accent Tongue ). Sorry if you got a little more than you bargained for in this thread. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

On another note - and from a more personal perspective - I just have to point something out: your husband's entire attitude is a major violation of all known Man Laws. To wit: it is forbidden for any dude to prevent his lady from enhancing her hotness. The world needs more hotness. How many 36 29 year old mothers-of-four are both that hot and working that hard to further increase their hotitude? The answer: way, way too few. Bros don't get in the way of other bros enjoying said hotness - and they certainly don't impede their OWN enjoyment of their own lady's loveliness. Do you see Jessica Biel's boyfriend telling her not to wear bikinis? Of course not. Because he knows it'd be a major violation of the Dude Code. Think Halle Berry's significant other tells her to stay out of the gym? Not if he wants to keep his laminated Bro Credentials. This stuff is written in stone. Penalties for violations are severe. Look, I know its a shallow, superficial, and ultimately selfish perspective. But when hotness is hidden - or prevented from increasing to greater magnitudes of hotitude - we all suffer. Every man, bro, and dude among us. It's part of the Sacred Code of Dudeness to avoid doing anything to lessen or restrict the advancement of World Hotness. And this kind of attitude can spread. It's a slippery slope, and we're all in danger. One guy discouraging one woman from going for her daily run could trigger a chain reaction and ultimately lead to a critical mass of mumu-wearing couch potatoes. This inevitably leads to less interest in all things romantic, which could in turn literally lead to the depopulation of the planet and the end of all mankind. I can't stress this enough. If he doesn't shape up, the Bro Commission may have to look into this. The future of the species is at stake. At the very least, he may have his Man Card temporarily revoked pending a full investigation.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Her husband #2 could turn a funeral up an alley.
                        What does that mean Confused

Runner

My Girlfriend is also a runner she just did her first half(1:50:15 by the way so I was way proud) so she understands running and loves it like me. Her family thinks we are both nuts, and mine did too until they went with us to our Marathon and Half efforts and now they understand and can't wait to go with us on another one. They were amazed at how "people like us were coming in!". I'm not thinking they will take up running because both have health issues that would prohibit that but I'm hoping they will become more serious about their walking routines.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

You know what, maybe moving in with Rockenmamof5 will be easier - I know I'd never get ------> Roll eyes from her about my running. Big grin (Pam, tell the kids to make room!)
                            Since Katie LOVES to mother, I'm sending her to your house and you can have her room Big grin Scott would be giving you all the support you need and then some come running Tongue

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

On another note - and from a more personal perspective - I just have to point something out: your husband's entire attitude is a major violation of all known Man Laws. To wit: it is forbidden for any dude to prevent his lady from enhancing her hotness. The world needs more hotness. How many 36 29 year old mothers-of-four are both that hot and working that hard to further increase their hotitude? The answer: way, way too few. Bros don't get in the way of other bros enjoying said hotness - and they certainly don't impede their OWN enjoyment of their own lady's loveliness. Do you see Jessica Biel's boyfriend telling her not to wear bikinis? Of course not. Because he knows it'd be a major violation of the Dude Code. Think Halle Berry's significant other tells her to stay out of the gym? Not if he wants to keep his laminated Bro Credentials. This stuff is written in stone. Penalties for violations are severe. Look, I know its a shallow, superficial, and ultimately selfish perspective. But when hotness is hidden - or prevented from increasing to greater magnitudes of hotitude - we all suffer. Every man, bro, and dude among us. It's part of the Sacred Code of Dudeness to avoid doing anything to lessen or restrict the advancement of World Hotness. And this kind of attitude can spread. It's a slippery slope, and we're all in danger. One guy discouraging one woman from going for her daily run could trigger a chain reaction and ultimately lead to a critical mass of mumu-wearing couch potatoes. This inevitably leads to less interest in all things romantic, which could in turn literally lead to the depopulation of the planet and the end of all mankind. I can't stress this enough. If he doesn't shape up, the Bro Commission may have to look into this. The future of the species is at stake. At the very least, he may have his Man Card temporarily revoked pending a full investigation.
                              Man I love you Shy

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

The Dude code is awesome. Big grin My husband is mostly supportive. I recently had my first race, and the 2-3 weeks before the race, he was the ultimate coach. He was a runner through college (he went to Russia with his track team to be part of some USA-Russia event), won all sorts of awards, etc., but now his favorite thing to do is watch TV and eat ice cream. Roll eyes I don't run that far so I'm not out of the house very long, but while in theory he is supportive, when I get my running clothes on, I get major attitude. He views it as taking time away from the family (and I'm only gone 30-45 minutes, max). I could wait until our son is in bed, but then I'd be running around 8:30 at night, and I'm not interested in that. I run when I get home from work. I help the boys get dinner started, then go running while it's cooking. Or the boys will just eat without me, and I'll eat when I get home. He grumbles, but wisely keeps his trap shut. The odd thing is, when I get home, he's totally fine. Confused I asked him once about it, and he said first that he was annoyed about the time away from them in the evenings, as we both work full time. But finally he admitted that he's jealous that I had the drive to start running and I've kept at it. So I suggested that he go too. He says not enough time, because I'm 'ALWAYS' running (check my log and you'll see how far from the truth that is!). I tell him that's lame, and we can work out a schedule - alternate days or something. He now says he has no interest in running anymore, he wants to find some other way to exercise. Fine, I told him, but back off the attitude about me running. I think you just have to stand up for yourself. It's hard and sometimes gets you nowhere, and create more tension, but in the end I really think it's the best option. It was for me, anyway. I just roll my eyes at the attitude, plug in the iPod, enjoy myself, and know that when I get home, he'll get over himself. Smile

Michelle