Does your family support your running? (Read 1715 times)

Has anyone been through this and eventually gotten the unsupportive SO to be supportive?
    What turned my unsupportive wife into a supportive one was a note from my doctor. Before I started running my cholesterol was high. I used to lift weights and use an exercise bike or a stepper every other day, but that did not keep my weight or cholesterol where I wanted them to be. I started to run, and the weight and cholesterol dropped to very healthy levels. My wife stopped complaining about the time it took or the cost, but still was not 100% supportive. In 2005, I had a series of three, non-running related surgeries that caused me to stop running for three months. Due to lack of exercise (and feeling bummed about the situation,) my weight and cholesterol level rose. At the doctor’s appointment when I was finally given the ok to start exercising/running again, we discussed my weight and cholesterol numbers. The doctor had a print out of the numbers from previous years, and said I should do what I was doing in 2003 and 2004, because the numbers looked great. I told him my wife is not supportive of my running, and asked if he would write a note/prescription for me to run. He did. When I showed my wife the note she laughed so hard. She still is not crazy about the racing part of running, but has actually given me a kind-hearted shove out the door when I was thinking about skipping a run.

Eat, Play, Run

Now my kids are getting into running. The two older ones have done kid races (all under 1/4 mile) and want to do more. My little guy did his first kid race last January. He had fun. He sees me run most days since he is in the stroller I push. He will run just to run whenever we head to the playground or just about anywhere. My other son (6) likes to run with me. I finish my Sunday run, get him and go for 2 laps around the loop across the street. That's about 1.5 miles. (I am a run/walker and he keeps up quite well; I do have to slow down for him a bit.) He loves the talk time and the running. He talks about when he is going to run the marathon with us. My daughter (7.5) is always asking about running. She enjoys it as well. I am going to do Couch to 5K for her soon so we can share some mommy-Maeve time in a healthy way. She even tells us when she feels the need for new running shoes (they are no longer called sneakers Smile)
      My 7 year-old dd wants to start running with me, too. We've been talking about it since late fall, and I told her we'd start in the spring. I can't wait to get her involved! I'm enjoying the stories of other parents who have their kids running with them.
        Quick note on this hotness thing. (By the way, I tend to agree with the posters that think there's a little more going on here relationship wise.) Some people don't like runners bodies. I wouldn't assume in her husband's eyes she's making herself hotter; the 5K fitness level mightbe good for him, but he's wooried she'll go "too" far. I am now running 5k, weigh 15 pounds less than November. My husband has commented on how good I look but said "don't loose too much more weigh - I love the curves." He thinks my running is fantastic BYW and is very supportive.
          Some people don't like runners bodies. I wouldn't assume in her husband's eyes she's making herself hotter; the 5K fitness level mightbe good for him, but he's wooried she'll go "too" far. I am now running 5k, weigh 15 pounds less than November. My husband has commented on how good I look but said "don't loose too much more weigh - I love the curves."
          Mostly the concerns are about health risks, the wear on the joints and bones, the stress it puts on the heart etc. This is an unknown to him and it worries him. My weight is another factor too, which is why I make an extra effort to eat more. I weigh less now than I ever have but I'm not at an unhealthy weight. This actually has a lot to do with it. From day one with my running, my husband made it very clear that he did not like the looks of a typical "twiggy marathon runner". So with that in mind he was already dreading where running too much might lead. Other areas in our marriage are fine, honest. In our house the topics that create stress from time to time are over two things. 1) The kids and 2) Running. Roll eyes The kids, well, they out number us and that can be stressful! Big grin And now with running because I'm at the point where I want to get a little more serious about it but I feel that I need to clear the air and make sure that he won't hold it against me. We talked last night, and I found out that he has been talking more with co-workers about my running and they have come up with some ideas that would certainly bring his commitment to the "Dude Code" back in line. Roll eyes I told him that we'll have to work it that since I didn't feel that for every time I run over 3 miles at one time that I owe him "something". He was totally kidding!!!! We laughed about it and talked some more, slowly I think we'll be heading in the right direction. I think having some examples of how much support others get will help me. Along with that I will share with him examples of others who don't get the support they hope for. It might help him to see how hurtful it can be.

Michelle

Thank you everyone for sharing and for all the suggestions and advice! Smile

Michelle

I'm troubled by some of the comments and methinks this is bigger than just running. That said, my wife is supportive. She's seen the benefits - physically and mentally. I'm a changed man. A better husband and father. Running is something I do for me, but also for my family. To me, it means I care enough about them to do those things within my control to be here for them for as long I can. That said, I work my running around the other important things in my life - namely family, friends and work. I make trade-offs all the time. It's not unusual for me to roll out of bed at 4 am to get my runs in. But, sometimes, that is what it takes. My wife appreciates the efforts I make and in return doesn't give me guff about it, even if she thinks I am certifiably crazy. I typically try to plan my race schedule well in advance so there are no surprises. Hell, I am running a marathon on Mother's Day. Selfish? Not really. More a compromise. This means I will not be travelling to Ottawa thereby taking up a whole weekend. It's give and take. Isn't that what a marriage is all about? We may not always agree on each other's decisions, nor would we choose the same but we try to always be supportive and talk when challenges arise. Of course, you could get a pair of really big jeans - I mean insanely big - and tell your husband that this is what your ass could look like if he'd prefer you don't run. I am sure he'll come around.
                Another thing....keep in mind, my husband isn't saying don't run at all. He's saying "don't run too much". There's a difference. My struggle here is getting him to agree with me on what is an acceptable amount to run. MTA: And to TRY to understand why I want to run as much as I do.

Michelle

It's give and take. Isn't that what a marriage is all about? We may not always agree on each other's decisions, nor would we choose the same but we try to always be supportive and talk when challenges arise.
                  I agree with you totally. Smile

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Another thing....keep in mind, my husband isn't saying don't run at all. He's saying "don't run too much". There's a difference. My struggle here is getting him to agree with me on what is an acceptable amount to run.
                    I'm sure Trent could dig up some studies regarding how the benefits of running far outweigh the physical costs. It's a huge myth that too much running "ruins" you knees. The fact is that assuming you're starting with healthy joints, running makes them stronger, not weaker.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Another thing....keep in mind, my husband isn't saying don't run at all. He's saying "don't run too much". There's a difference. My struggle here is getting him to agree with me on what is an acceptable amount to run.
                      in the nuclear industry, we call that padding...you need to pad in reverse....like...oh sweetie, I am only going to go out for about 3 miles...and then go for six....or, I will only run for about 30 minutes and then go for 45. You just become time and distance challenged....LOL
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

I like the idea about the big blue jeans! Seeing large women is one thing that really keeps me motivated. As far as weight goes, Michelle and Matt could show their spouses the online BMI calculator http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ I realize that this is not always totally accurate, but at least it's a guideline, and gives you some backup! Michelle, according to your profile, you are 5'-2" and weigh 118 pounds, so your Body Mass Index is 21.6, which is right in the middle of the normal range (18.5 to 24.9). According to this index, you wouldn't be considered underweight until you were down at 101 pounds! Not that you want to do that, but you get the point. Matt, if you're 180 pounds and 5'-10", your BMI is 25.8, so you're technically overweight. At 160 pounds, you would be at 23. You wouldn't be considered underweight until you were 129 pounds. The engineer in me always likes numbers to support my arguments, so I love things like this. The main thing is that neither of you is currently close to being dangerously thin!
                          The engineer in me always likes numbers to support my arguments, so I love things like this. The main thing is that neither of you is currently close to being dangerously thin!
                          I've been meaning to look that up! Thank you. Smile My weight for the longest time was 128 and I would dip down to 123. This is the weight that my husband has known me to be at for the longest. Then for a while I was dipping down to 114, but now I'm keeping a steady 118.

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Matt, if you're 180 pounds and 5'-10", your BMI is 25.8, so you're technically overweight. At 160 pounds, you would be at 23. You wouldn't be considered underweight until you were 129 pounds.
                            As an enginerd, I likes me some numbers, too. But don't forget that BMI is can be deceiving for athletic people. The most extreme examples would be the running back who is 5"10" 220 lbs. Obese? Only if you can catch them -- 4% body fat and all. Now most runners aren't that extreme, but we often tend to have more muscular legs, and since muscle is more dense than fat, that could mean that 5-10 180 lb Matt be nowhere near overweight, despite his BMI. Also depends on your frame / bone structure. At 5-11, the lower end for "normal" is 133 lbs, but I know that I personally would look ghastly at this weight. Everyone's a little different in that regard. Just a caveat to keep in mind. Mississippi can, of course, selectivly ignore any assumptions that don't work in her favor. Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I've been meaning to look that up! Thank you. Smile My weight for the longest time was 128 and I would dip down to 123. This is the weight that my husband has known me to be at for the longest. Then for a while I was dipping down to 114, but now I'm keeping a steady 118.
                              Well if this helps you, I'm about 4 inches taller than you and I currently weight 123-124 and I am BY FAR NOT a stickling!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Luckily for me, I had gained a lot of weight after I was married. So for I just got fatter and fatter for most of the 15 years we've been married. Now that I've started running, I've lost a lot of weight and now weigh less than when I was first married. My wife likes this. Big grin Now, if I skip a day of scheduled running or exercise, she asks - "No run today?"
                                "If I control myself, I control my destiny."