Does your family support your running? (Read 1715 times)

My legs are killing me

Not everything, dude. Evil grin
    That was funny!!!!!!!!!! Big grin

Prophet!

i'm more like a watermelon.

The Greatest of All Time

Not everything, dude. Evil grin
        Oh snap...well played!
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          the only area she tries to discourage me is weight loss. I'm not lean and mean...I weigh about 180 on a 5'10" frame. I want to get down to about 160, which she thinks will be too thin. She said she wants a guy with some meat on his bones. We go back and forth on this and we've never had any real arguments but it does get brought up every few days. I have lost 8 pounds on Weight Watchers so far (3 weeks) and she's ready for me to stop there.
          Do you lift weights to complement your running? I lost a bunch of weight a couple years ago and got to the point where my wife didn't want me to lose anymore for the same sort of reasons. I gained a bit back before i started running and working out. I'm now down to about the same as I was before, but the difference in my appearance due to lifting and running is huge. Upper body musculature can make the difference between 'too thin looking' and 'beefy' at the same weight. Maybe this is all old news to you, but there you go.
          Brandon

The Greatest of All Time

I'm now down to about the same as I was before, but the difference in my appearance due to lifting and running is huge. Upper body musculature can make the difference between 'too thin looking' and 'beefy' at the same weight.
            Finally taking up weight lifting was one of the best things I have done for myself. The difference in appearance is tremendous. I recommend everyone do it. When I was first into running all I did was run, so I had decent legs but nothing to look at above the waist. Swimming for triathlon sort of made the upper body a little better, but not like weights do. I got it in my head January of last year that I wanted to 'beef up' and gained 25 pounds of mostly muscle over the course of about 6 months. Then I decided I didn't like how I looked big and my suits didn't fit too well anymore, so I lost it in about 3 months. But I will never stop lifting. Even if I get to the point where I can't run, I will still lift. It's a must as we age.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

As an enginerd, I likes me some numbers, too. But don't forget that BMI is can be deceiving for athletic people. The most extreme examples would be the running back who is 5"10" 220 lbs. Obese? Only if you can catch them -- 4% body fat and all. Now most runners aren't that extreme, but we often tend to have more muscular legs, and since muscle is more dense than fat, that could mean that 5-10 180 lb Matt be nowhere near overweight, despite his BMI. Also depends on your frame / bone structure. At 5-11, the lower end for "normal" is 133 lbs, but I know that I personally would look ghastly at this weight. Everyone's a little different in that regard. Just a caveat to keep in mind. Mississippi can, of course, selectivly ignore any assumptions that don't work in her favor. Tongue
              That's why I used qualifiying phrases such as "not always totally accurate, but at least it's a guideline;" and "technically overweight." I was not as interested in where Matt is at the high end of the range as in how far he has to go to be underweight, since that's his wife's apparent concern. I think the numbers are helpful to my non-runner friends, because I have something to tell them when they say I'm melting away! I'm 149 and 5'-8 1/2," so I'm definitely not rail thin!
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That's why I used qualifiying phrases such as "not always totally accurate, but at least it's a guideline;" and "technically overweight." I was not as interested in where Matt is at the high end of the range as in how far he has to go to be underweight, since that's his wife's apparent concern.
                I realize that this is not always totally accurate, but at least it's a guideline, and gives you some backup!
                Indeed you did qualify your answer. Sorry I missed that!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Hey Marcus, what kind of axe are you playing in your new avatar?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The Greatest of All Time

Hey Marcus, what kind of axe are you playing in your new avatar?
                    Gibson Les Paul Standard. Been playing for let me think (typical math challenged attorney)...28 years. Have owned more guitars and amps than I can remember. Fenders, PRS, Gibsons, Charvel, Jackson, Dean, Hamer, Martin hell you name it. Was in a decent band in college. Recorded a CD, released it on Orchard records, toured, etc. Made very little money but was actually paid to be a musician for almost a year (on and off). Ok, now WAY off topic and total threadjack... When I lived in Austin I had my own amp repair business I ran out of my garage. I learned how to read schematics and basic electronics physics (in physics class no less). Started tinkering with my own amps (mostly old Fenders and Marshalls) and then eventually filed a DBA with the state and went into business. I had almost no overhead. About $200 in random parts, a soldering iron, and a nice volt meter. That was about it. Anything exotic I needed I could get overnighted. I made a little bit of money but got to meet a ton of cool people and work on some of the nicest old tube amps on the planet. Ahhh those were the days. Working for myself was great.

Well, I'm glad to be a BMI example for everyone Big grin...anyway...personally, I'm not a big proponent of BMI for the reasons everyone here mentioned. A little background...in college I ran a lot more and weighed around 145-150 with little upperbody strength. My 5k times were right around 20 minutes. After graduating I started lifting more and running less (and at times did nothing at all) leading eventually to 190. So today, I still carry some...um, non-productive weight - yes fat, but I don't look or feel overweight and feel as though I'm in better shape than many folks whose BMIs are lower than mine. With a 4.5 month old at home, there is no longer a gym plan in my workouts but I do try to get in core exercises and basic push- and pull-ups and curls in to keep some strength. My goal (hence the 165 wt. goal) is to find the happy medium. I think as I get closer, DW will realize that 165 is better all around than 185. She totally supports my running, biking, races and whatnot...and is not obsessive over my body image...she just doesn't want me to change too much physically from the guy she married back into the college pictures she's seen. Modified because I can't type...
                        With a 4.5 month old at home, there is no longer a gym plan in my workouts but I do try to get in core exercises and basic push- and pull-ups and curls in to keep some strength.
                        Totally understandable. Bodyweight exercises can yield results comparable to going to the gym, if you do it right. Also check into other 'gym-free' workouts with household equipment or easy to make equipment. Though I've not gotten around to doing it (as I have a company subsidized Y membership), Shovelglove seems like a great idea that I may be utilizing soon, as my second son is arriving on Monday. (In general, I like everything about everydaysystems.com sites. I also do the NoS diet.) BeastSkills is also a great site for getting ideas on bodyweight exercises, if you're so inclined. His tutorials on how to train the skills are very informative, though you'll obviously have to scale back to account for the ability difference (unless you happen to be a former gymnast).
                        Brandon
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

my second son is arriving on Monday.
                          Congrats! Big grin

Congrats! Big grin
                            Thanks. Smile I'm so excited I can hardly stand it.
                            Brandon
                              my second son is arriving on Monday.
                              Very exciting! Congratulations!! Smile

Michelle

Feeling the growl again

When I met my wife, I told her up front that there were several things that she should NEVER plan on changing about me as long as we were together, and they were non-negotiable. One was running; I may run less, I may move it around, but I would not stop. Both times I decided to try to qualify for the Olympic Trials, I asked for her support before I made the decision. I would never have been selfish enough to take 2+ hours a day away from her for that type of effort without the support. She gave it, and put up with the inconvenience. In return I gave in other areas and sometimes workout out on a wierd schedule to minimize the impact on her. Now that our daughter has arrived things are very different. She supported my running for many years, now it is taking a backseat to the family. At least for awhile. I have not lost the drive to be competitive but for awhile it'll have to go on 40-70 mpw instead of 80-110mpw because the priority just isn't there.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills