2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

Mikeymike, Jeff, chaloo, & Thunder - Nice weeks of training. Can't wait to see you roll on raceday.

Mikey - will you do the 4x 2 mile workout this time around?

DB, add me to the list. Just signed up to race:

Akron Marathon

goal sub 3

I have paced the 3:40 or 3:30 group here in each of past six years. First time racing this course

DB - I just added this a week ago. I think I'm next up.

This course is not flat as like Glass City (ran in April) as there's some hills in the second half. And I might not be as sharp as I was then. Akron this weekend will have a different feel for me as I plan to race instead of going for a specific time. No idea how this might unfold.

mikeymike

Mikey - will you do the 4x 2 mile workout this time around?

Not sure...probably not.  I don't have my workouts all planned out other than a couple of races between now and 10/17.

Runners run

DoppleBock

Nice to see you getting into shape - I have it listed 

Well after some serious time off with a hip fracture Im back on the hunt for a sub 3 marathon.  Just ran a 1:19 1/2 today so I think Im in good shape to pull if off at the Marine Corps Marathon on 31 Oct.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

It was great to see you this weekend - Thank you for the help and the beer - I have you up next! 

DB - I just added this a week ago. I think I'm next up.

This course is not flat as like Glass City (ran in April) as there's some hills in the second half. And I might not be as sharp as I was then. Akron this weekend will have a different feel for me as I plan to race instead of going for a specific time. No idea how this might unfold.

You guys are working hard with good training. I've got 13 days left for my 2:49 or broke attempt at Wineglass (barring warm weather).

My week was a 5x600 workout in a 9.7 mile run (2:10->2:04 for 600's).

A long run of 17.5 on Wednesday that was too close to my 20 on Sunday.

Reach The Beach Fri pm->Sat pm. 3 legs 7.25 @ 6:12, 4.4 @6:21, 2.5 @ 6:27. No sleep, lots of fun. There were not all out efforts, but comfortably hard/fast. 

A little sore today, goal is just to get the legs ready for 10/3 on a fast course and pray for temps in the 50s

Calf is much better today after a day off.  Planning on going easy tomorrow and then thinking about knocking out my 6th and final 20miles on Wed.  This will leave me with a 18 day taper vs the traditional 21.  My miles over the past few months have average right around 75mpw.  Looking for some thoughts on doing another 20 with a shorter taper.

After I ditched a pair of bad shoes that I bought years ago for~ $35 or so, I have been able to resume my training without any right knee pain.  Didn't realize my decision for not wanting to waste the $35 I spent would end up costing me all a chance to get a PR at Chicago, along with the wasted registration fees, flight and hotel charges.

Anyway, I am able to run about 80 miles last week, with 3 key workouts, including 5x3min uphill@5k effort last Tue, 14 with 7.5@MP last Fri, and a 18 miler LR 10% slower than MP yesterday.

Why is it sideways?

Calf is much better today after a day off.  Planning on going easy tomorrow and then thinking about knocking out my 6th and final 20miles on Wed.  This will leave me with a 18 day taper vs the traditional 21.  My miles over the past few months have average right around 75mpw.  Looking for some thoughts on doing another 20 with a shorter taper.

I wouldn't necessarily do another 20, maybe 16 or so. But I definitely would consider a shorter taper. 21 days is too much, 18 is on the long end. I'd just go with 2 weeks.

Savoir c'est pouvoir

I ran my second Air Force Marathon (Wright-Patterson AFB near Dayton, OH) on Saturday hoping to surprise myself. I was finally able to run again 6 days before the race after a 3-week hiatus. I took a shot at sub-3 and paid for it in the second half with fatigue and muscle cramps in my calves. First half in 1:29:25, second half in 1:54:14 for a finishing time of 3:23:39.

Having never experienced cramping in any race before, I was totally unprepared as to how to handle it. Walk breaks and self-massage seemed to give temporary relief.

The weekend was still enjoyable. I was able to meet and talk to Bill Rodgers and Amby Burfoot at the RD breakfast the morning before the race. I ran into Amby again after I finished and he asked how it went. He said, "Some days you can tell pretty early on that things aren't going to go well". This was one of those days for me. Chalk it up to a learning experience.

Great event. Fantastic volunteers and supportive fellow runners. Impressive flyover of a B-52 bomber to see us off the line.

tenacity

DB, may I be added to the list for Portland, Or. 10/10//10? I'm nowhere near as fast as most of you, but am confident I can at least get a 3:0?:?? I've learned so much from all of you. I especially appreciate Jeff's input- mikeymike, flovesparko, dcv2002, dakota (where'd u go?), thunder (entertaining) etc... you all rock. My PR was a somewhat conservative effort @ 3:12:25 on the 4th of July.

DoppleBock

DB, may I be added to the list for Portland, Or. 10/10//10? I'm nowhere near as fast as most of you, but am confident I can at least get a 3:0?:?? I've learned so much from all of you. I especially appreciate Jeff's input- mikeymike, flovesparko, dcv2002, dakota (where'd u go?), thunder (entertaining) etc... you all rock. My PR was a somewhat conservative effort @ 3:12:25 on the 4th of July.

Done

DoppleBock

Good to finish - I am in the same boat as you - I am not in sub 3:00 shape currently - Or I should at least say, I have done nothing to indicate I might be in sub 3:00 shape - I will just run and take it as it comes.

Get yourself healthy for the next training cycle! 

I ran my second Air Force Marathon (Wright-Patterson AFB near Dayton, OH) on Saturday hoping to surprise myself. I was finally able to run again 6 days before the race after a 3-week hiatus. I took a shot at sub-3 and paid for it in the second half with fatigue and muscle cramps in my calves. First half in 1:29:25, second half in 1:54:14 for a finishing time of 3:23:39.

Having never experienced cramping in any race before, I was totally unprepared as to how to handle it. Walk breaks and self-massage seemed to give temporary relief.

The weekend was still enjoyable. I was able to meet and talk to Bill Rodgers and Amby Burfoot at the RD breakfast the morning before the race. I ran into Amby again after I finished and he asked how it went. He said, "Some days you can tell pretty early on that things aren't going to go well". This was one of those days for me. Chalk it up to a learning experience.

Great event. Fantastic volunteers and supportive fellow runners. Impressive flyover of a B-52 bomber to see us off the line.

DoppleBock

We are leaving for Disney this Friday and not returning until the marathon Oct 3rd - I will not be able to update anything until then - Good running to all - Roots at Dayton and all the 10/2-10/5 marathoners!

DoppleBock

Flovesparko - Where you at brother

I never got to training - But I will be there

Funny I did striders (Only speed work in a while) in the last 2 runs and my calves are sore.

I will be wearing my green swamp2k singlet, black race ready shorts and Asic 1140s - Blue & White - I have shaved off my goatee, but have really short hair.  I am 6'2 and @ 220# - I will have bib #2 on.