2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

tenacity

Well, the timing mats didn't record my 10k, 20 mile, and worst of all, didn't see me at the finish line, either. They did see me at 8.9 mile, the half, 17.5 mile, and @ 21.1.

Must have been my D-tag placement:

shoes

That's upside-down, isn't it?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

2:59:28.  F*** YEAH!!!

Outstanding!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Brilliant effort Chaloo!

& fingers crossed daubenspeck that the chip time comes out in your favour....

Well done!!  Can't wait to hear the race report!

Well, here it is:

Felt great from the start.  Needed to average 6:52 to get under 3hrs and the game plan was 6:45's for 20 miles and then try to hang on for dear life.
            First 2 miles were real slow and by mile 4 I caught up to TMorin and his boy Andy from the Somerville Road Runners who were both gunning for a sub3 finish as well.  By mile 6, TMorin knew he didn't have it that day so he shut it down.  Andy and I agreed to go after this thing together and hold 6:45's for as long as we could.  Plan was working to perfection as mile 7-18 looked like this: 6:44, 6:42, 6:42, 6:39, 6:44, 6:52, 6:53, 6:39, 6:38, 6:53, 6:45, 6:44.  At this point Andy was hurting and he quickly faded.  Now the down side to a smaller marathon was that the last 8 mile I would have to go it alone yet I still felt very good about my chances though.
            Amazing how quickly things can fall apart in a marathon.  By mile 20 I was really starting to feel it and my pace had dropped off slightly.  I felt dehydrated yet my stomach was wrecked due to all the Gu's and Gatorade, a tough problem. Mile 21 & 22 were run in 7:08 and 7:03.  At this point my my head was flooding with negative thoughts and I was having major double about a sub3.  "Who are you kidding, you are not in sub3 shape" was one in particular that was on a loop in my head.
            Mile 23 a wonderful thing happened.  Some dude passed me going about 20 seconds faster per mile and I saw my last chance.  I locked onto the backs of his Brooks ST 4's and decided to hold on for as long as I could.  23 in 6:52 and 24 in 6:55.  I'm back!!!  At this point all I need to do is run the last 2.2 miles in under 16 minutes or a 7:16 pace. But now I was in a world of hurt.  I could no longer hang with this dude and I pushed mile 25 as hard as I could...7:23.  FUCK!!!  I'm going to finish in 3:00:20.  FUCK!!!
            1.2 miles left and now the only way to get this done is to run this near a 6:50 pace which I hadn't done in almost an hour.  I can't see or hear the finish line and 1.2 miles may as well be 12 miles.  At this point I'm completely spent, cursing the marathon, cursing myself.  Is there a worse finish then just a few second over 3hrs?  Not today.
            24 hours later I still have no clue where I was able to find the strength to do this but I forced myself to tap into the remaining gear that I had no clue ever existed in the human body.  I didn't care if I collapsed 10 feet from the finish line, I'm all in.  Mile 26 was run in 6:34, my fasted mile since mile 3.  I crossed the line in 2:59:25.  If not for the 2 volunteers beyond the finish line I would have dropped to the ground.
            The human body is capable of amazing things and the marathon is a mighty humbling beast. 
            1:29:10 / 1:30:18 splits

Well, the timing mats didn't record my 10k, 20 mile, and worst of all, didn't see me at the finish line, either. They did see me at 8.9 mile, the half, 17.5 mile, and @ 21.1.

shoes

There's a spot on the tag that says "This side up."  And, next time I wouldn't loop it around so many laces.  You need to leave more in a circle so you don't risk bending the end flat.

Awesome report! Congrats, Chaloo!

Awesome job Chaloo!  Great race and congrats on the sub-3!

mikeymike

Bravo, Chaloo.  Awesome.

Runners run

DoppleBock

24 hours later I still have no clue where I was able to find the strength to do this but I forced myself to tap into the remaining gear that I had no clue ever existed in the human body.  I didn't care if I collapsed 10 feet from the finish line, I'm all in.  Mile 26 was run in 6:34, my fasted mile since mile 3.  I crossed the line in 2:59:25.  If not for the 2 volunteers beyond the finish line I would have dropped to the ground.
                      The human body is capable of amazing things and the marathon is a mighty humbling beast. 
                      1:29:10 / 1:30:18 splits

This is break through for you - You are right one, but many people never get to discover how much further they can push their body then they think they can.  I have race about a 1/2 dozen times where I just did not care if I passed out - I just hoped it was on the other side of the finish line.  I would say to myself "You can back down when you pass out"

Congrats on the time / effort and breakthrough

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Great race - Good luck getting that cleared up - If you finished near someone - they should have a picture of you.  But if the camera was triggered from your tag - that may go poorly, if it was a human photographer you are probably fine. 

shoes

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Congrats Chaloo! 

Really enjoyed your report.  Recover well.  You earned it.

That's upside-down, isn't it?

and it looks like it's bent or creased slightly, which you're not suppose to do.

Congrats on a tremendous race.  And thanks for the inspiring race report.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Great jog  JOB (sorry about that) Chaloo. That takes some real guts and determination to finish the way you did! 

I'm very impressed!!