2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

Inspired again by reading Chaloo's report and watching the banter for Baystate this weekend, put me down for a sub 3:00 attempt at the Snickers in Albany, GA on March 5th.

Get off my porch

It's about that time that I own up to my goal attempt last weekend in Chicago.  Before I go there, I first want to say good luck to all those racing this weekend.

As exciting as it is to share good news and successful attempts at meeting your goals, that certainly was not my case Sunday.  I don't regret trying and I would try again if I could.  The BIG lesson learned is that you need the time on feet acclimating the muscles to the running routine in the weeks prior to the race.  Had the achilles not flared up and left me where I was in early September, I would have been well on my way to what I wanted to accomplish.  The fitness level is there.

Anyways, it was a great day in Chicago last Sunday.  I started out decent and held a 6:17 pace through mile 16.  I had to stop and visit the port-a-potty at mile 17 and once I tried going after that, I knew I was going to be in for a treat as my quads were screaming bloody murder by that point.  Stuck out mile 18 in about 7:18, struggled off and on through 19 and 20, tried again for a good stretch at mile 21 (8:54) and then walked it in after that.  The crowds and atmosphere were great and I just had fun with it and enjoyed being there.  The effort through 16 felt great as many other people I was running with were working much harder.  Several struggled to keep any kind of conversation going.  I managed hydration and fuel well and was not affected by the warmer temps at all.  The ironic thing about it all is that the achilles did not hurt one bit during nor after the race.  Even as I'm here 3 days later, there is no pain for the achilles at all.  I know what I need to do over the winter months, so I'm set to get rolling soon.

As I said, I don't regret trying and I felt I gave it my best based on where I thought my fitness level was.  I've had a good 2 year build-up in fitness and know that I'm well positioned for a strong shot at it next year!

Good luck!

Nice job Chaloo!

Remember signup for Boston in next monday @ 9am. Just in case you want to run that next spring...

Interesting training for a marathon 5 weeks after another. I have still no clue what I plan on running. Right now its taking me 2-3 miles to be able to lengthen my stride. After that feels OK, but still some residual marathon soreness.By the time I ramp back up to any sort of training I'll be tapering. The weeks will look like

18 + (5 elliptical), 37, 53, 46, something + 26.2.

I could be shooting anywhere from 2:51:59 to wearing a costume and taking pictures and trying to see how many beers I can get....

Took a halfway decent swing at it, but came up short in the final 10k.  Some dark miles in that stretch, but pretty happy with a seven minute PR of 3:02:25

I'll be back in the 2011 thread, and hopefully I'll take another stab at it.  Best of luck to everyone racing tomorrow!

Just wanted to say Congrats on the big PR BadDawg. I ran the half that day (1:31:32) and saw you at the start. I looked back a few times and wasn't sure so I didn't say anything, but how could I not be sure?! yeesh. One of my friends was going for a 2:55---she ended up with a 2:57 but also described the last miles as tough and grueling in a dark way.

Great job and I feel sure you will go sub 3:00 and soon! Nice racing. 

I ran the half that day (1:31:32)* and saw you at the start.

Fixed that for you, VERY impressive to see a USATF AG guideline asterisk next to your time!  Not many of those in the results of any race.  If you see me again be sure to say hello so I can offer my congratulations in person!

The really nice thing about the out and back section of the marathon course is it's long enough that I was able to see the lead runners coming back.  Titus Mutinda is a local legend in Lowell, it was great to see him cruising along to a second Masters finish (7th overall) at 2:32:54*.  I would have seen your speedy friend just behind my running buddy Jason, he came roaring in at 2:55:01.  The ladies were definitely running hard and looking strong.

And speaking of Jason, he is going to try to pace a couple of Greater Lowell clubmates to a 3:09:59 BQ at Baystate this Sunday.  Damned kids.  (Get off my lawn you punk!)   Best of luck to him, and everyone from this thread racing this weekend!

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

The Thunder

I feel good and ready.  For me, on this race...it's not about 'sub 3', it's about going big or going home.  I'll be leaving it all out there, and either having a major breakthrough, or blowing up.  Worth the risk, as I'm in the best shape of my life.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

L Train

I feel good and ready.  For me, on this race...it's not about 'sub 3', it's about going big or going home.  I'll be leaving it all out there, and either having a major breakthrough, or blowing up.  Worth the risk, as I'm in the best shape of my life.

Anti-tweaking.  This must give mikey pause.

The King of Beasts

you should post on this thread more often, to get ready for next fall.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Tweak on, tweak off.  Tweak on, tweak off.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Good luck to Mikey, Thunder, Jeff & Spaniel this weekend, I'm looking forward to some massive performances from you all!

Or Boston in the spring.  Good luck this weekend L Train.

Prince of Fatness

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Mrs Train catches wind of this.  Heh heh.

Not at it at all. 

DoppleBock

I hope you get exactly what you deserve (Trained for)

I have been in 2:42-2:43 shape 3-4 times and failed to reach it.  2 of those times were at Grandmas - Hot Bitch ... 1 DNF, 1 slog in @ 2:50.   My 2:45 PR was a horribly executed race, that I hung on.  Then the 2:48 in 2009 when I did not give 100% effort.

A truly great race is a thing of beauty and rare - It is something you have to take a risk for, but a great prize worth the risk ... Reach for that Golden Ring Thunder!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Good luck to Mikey, Thunder, Jeff & Spaniel this weekend, I'm looking forward to some massive performances from you all!

+100.  I so wish I could be there to watch.

(FWIW, Baystate has no athlete tracking available.  I didn't think so, but I emailed and confirmed.  We'll just have to wait for updates on RA.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Excited to see Jeff race in New England.  Competition at Baystate should make for a fast race.