Myrtle Beach Marathon (Read 1072 times)

Kimmie

I posted about this marathon earlier and heard from srlopez.... now I want to see if there are others out there Yes I have 2 questions: 1. Who here has run this and what did you think of it? and 2. Who is running this in '09? I just ran Marine Corps on Sunday and I'm starting to set my sights on this one ( already registered). I think I will do a reverse taper for the next three weeks and then start a plan. My goal for this one is to BQ (3:45) I ran a 3:56 at Marine Corps- so maybe I can do it.

Menace to Sobriety

I ran it a couple years ago. It was my 1st, and only marathon so far. Its flat, pretty well organized. Feb weather in SC can be tricky. It could be anywhere from 70s to 30s for high and being coastal, theres always a chance for wind. It was perfect for mine, maybe 35 degrees at the start, around 60 or so at the end, sunny, low humidity, no real wind. Accomodations are not a problem, lots of hotels with in walking distance of the start. Its also a nice place to spend a few days before or after if you've got the time. Its not too crowded that time of year. Worst thing about it is around 14-15 miles you run by all the beachfront hotels and they're cooking breakfast about that time. Made me want to run in and get something to eat. MTA: Probably not going to do this one for 09. My MPW is getting back to where it should be, but after being off most of 07 and just starting to do some hard running, I probably should give it to the end of the year before I start any kind of plan. Probably looking at one a little later, maybe late March or April...possibly Music City.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

I ran Myrtle last year with a number of people from my running club. The course is a good one to try and qualify for Boston - it is very flat. However, the course is pretty boring. Basically, you run beside a bunch of hotels and past a bunch of putt-putt golf courses and bargain beach shops. The weather should be fine - wind could be an issue. The crowd support is minimal, except at the finish line. The spots where the crowds were the best were at the Marathon Relay hand-off points - but I think they did away with the relay after 2008. However, the volunteers at the water stops and monotoring the side streets were very friendly and supportive. The start is a little crowded because the 1/2 starts with the full on the same streets - expect a slower first mile (which probably worked to my benefit - kept me from going out too fast). Miles approx. 20-24 you run along a major street (Kings Hwy I think) which was not much fun - too much exhaust! The shirt they gave was with out a doubt, the absolute worst one I have ever received and the medal was pretty dull - especially considering the price they charge you to run the race. They did have free beer at the finish which is always nice. Also, you can find dirt cheap hotels and the parking for the race is really close to the start/finish and is ample. I would run The Shamrock in VA Beach again before I did Myrtle again. I typed this out while listening on a conference call, hopefully it is not too in-coherent due to my rambling.
        xor

The shirt they gave was with out a doubt, the absolute worst one I have ever received
          Ok, I know I already replied, but this comment made me laugh. It's so true, and not just last year's shirt. Every MB shirt I've ever seen has been U*G*L*Y. Mine turned into a throwaway layer almost immediately.

mb197314

I would run The Shamrock in VA Beach again before I did Myrtle again.
            I am doing Shamrock in March. I was torn between MB and Shamrock and in the end, travel and family support landed me at Shamrock. Only because I already have family in VA Beach and my stepsister lives only a few blocks from the start finish. I am considering MB for my 2010 marathon so I will be interested to see how it goes...
            JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I ran it last year and I thoroughly enjoyed the event even though it was my slowest race ever. The temps can vary dramatically! It was 22 degrees at the start two years ago and it reached into the 70’s last year. The high heat did me in just after the half mark. I had a 1:34:30 first half and a 2:36 second half. It sure is flat though! There was 300 feet of elevation gain for Myrtle as compared to the 3000 feet of gain at Charlotte’s thunder road. However, I was 50 minutes faster on the course that was 10 times as hilly! Marathon times never seem to go the way you would expect them to! The free beer at the end was AWESOME though. I had a few(10) too many and I had to walk back to my hotel!
              Kimmie

ok, so I'm just going to be running this one for the BQ... so my best hope is no wind.

Misinformation Officer

I do MB every couple of years since it is geographically convenient for me. Ditto to all of the above comments. Don't forget that many nice beach houses rent off-season, too, and "the price is right", so to speak. My biggest complaint was the smell of bacon made me want to hurl when we ran past the infinite pancake places. It is a visually boring course. (I live here. I can say that.) We have no culture, but there is a lot for families to do! LOL! The Children's Museum is great, and there are all the tourist traps, too. I recommend staying in the "South Strand" and eating real seafood in Murrells Inlet. Don't bother with the chain places, unless that is your thing.
                    I've ran the full once and the half several times. The course is flat. I don't even think there are any speedbumps along the course. The aid stations have always been properly staffed with water/sports drink as indicated on the web site. The weather is always a factor although not difficult. Usually a little cool at the start but you warm up quickly once the race is underway. The hotels are very reasonable at the time of year when the race is ran. Good luck.
                    USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010
                      The 2008 MB Half marathon was my first half marathon. I enjoyed the race a great deal. The course is flat (which is what I am used to since I live in Coastal NC) and fast. I would imagine the course would be boring to those who are not from around here. For me, running down "the strip" as it is called brought back a ton of memories from childhood vacations! The shirt was without a doubt the worst, ugliest, wanna be tech shirt I've ever seen. My friends did the race in 2007 and I liked that years' shirt. That said, it is probably one of the easier BQ courses. It was a very well organized race. I think I lost around a a minute or two on the first mile due to congestion, but that was easily made up on the course as things spread out pretty quickly. . My husband is doing thie full in '09 so I look forward to "spectating" with the kids this year. Good luck with your BQ!
                      b2003b

I ran this last year too. I thought it was well done. Myrtle Beach is touristy, but not in February. So this felt like a runner's marathon and not an "event" like other marathons can be. If you are a morning runner, this is a good race as the start time is 6:30am. So the first 3 or so miles are run before the sun fully comes up. Despite Myrtle being on the coast, the course itself is really not that scenic. You can see the sun rise over the Ocean at about miles 5-8, but that is about it for scenery. As was stated, the plan was to eliminate the relay this year, so if they don't increase the limits on the half or full, there should be more room at the start. But that really isn't much of an issue anyway. Miiles 21-24 can be tough as they run along highway 17. Nothing but traffic and T shirt/beach stores with no crowd support. Kind of the spot in the marathon where you need more to keep you going! All that said, it is a great course for a BQ. Flat and should be great weather for running (mid 50's is normal that time of year) Having the race on a Saturday is also a plus. The post race party at the House of Blues is fun! Good Luck!
                        xor

Don't forget the pancake houses! They are highly underrated as sources of nutrition and entertainment. And there are approximately 1,500 of them.

I'll be doing it this year with hopes of qualifying for Boston. Toying with the idea of trying to hit a sub 3:00 but that may be pushing it. Like others have said, the whole area is flat and since it's winter. There won't be much going as the crazies will still be at home.
                            Kimmie

thought i'd bump this since it's only 30 days away. another question: is the course mostly asphalt? nothing you can do about it, of course, if it's not, but my legs do not like concrete. As I mentioned, I'm hoping to BQ- with a 3:45. They have a 3:40 pacer and a 4:00 pacer, nothing in between. So, I may line up with the 3:40 pacer and hope to God that it's not too fast.
                              JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I'll be doing it this year with hopes of qualifying for Boston. Toying with the idea of trying to hit a sub 3:00 but that may be pushing it. Like others have said, the whole area is flat and since it's winter. There won't be much going as the crazies will still be at home.
                                Just try for the 3.10:59! Trust me. If Boston is your goal then just get that under your belt first. Once you get it you can go all out and get the sub 3.00. I have similar PR's as yours and I have been chasing the BQ for 3 years now. The difference between a 3.20 and a 3.10 is huge. The difference between the 3.00 pace and the 3.10 pace is a whole different ball game altogether.