Have you started a running club IRL? Can you tell me about your experience? (Read 915 times)

Jill_B

I fly.

Hi, I live in an area that needs a running club, but I have no idea how to go about starting a successful club. I would love to hear about your experience if you've started one or helped to start one up. Thanks! -Jill

Bring it on.

Run Runner Clubs of American would be a good starting point. http://www.rrca.org/ You'd probably want to start up a website and talk to local sports stores to advertise.

Vim

sluggo

John

One of the things that helped us get the Wicked Running Club off the ground was to get support from the City of Salem Park and Rec Dept. They were thrilled to have a citizens group with this interest. The head of the dept has even been sponsoring races in our area (and he joined the club). A web site is a good idea. So is club clothing with some nice artwork so members can easily find each other at races and so other non-members can see you all gathering together having fun. Having said all of this, googling does seem to show clubs that might be in your area: http://www.jsrc.org/ http://www.njrrc.org/ http://www.runningintheusa.com/ClubsByState.asp?State=NJ Even if there is a club in your area, you may want to start a new club. There was another club in the Salem, MA area (and there still is) when we started Wicked. In a way, I think starting a new club generated more interest than simply having one club. In addition, two clubs give people a chance to discover which club fits their needs and personality better. Differences are good! Good luck. Hope your efforts are successful!

John
        www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Kimmie

I agree with what the others have said. when we started our running group, it was sponsored through the running store here. We made up fliers to put in the running store and then a website was created. The message board on our website allows runners to get together for runs throughout the week. I think it would be hard, though, to start one up without the support of a running store. Hard, but not impossible. Smile Good luck!
          Jill_B

I fly.

Thanks for the replies. (Just as background - I don't live near a running store or any of those clubs - I'm way in south Jersey. There is a running store about 20 minutes away, but I think it's seasonal (it's near the beach, many of the businesses are only open in the late spring/summer/early fall). I guess I've got a lot of work cut out for me if I want to do this!)

Bring it on.

sluggo

John

Thanks for the replies. (Just as background - I don't live near a running store or any of those clubs - I'm way in south Jersey. There is a running store about 20 minutes away, but I think it's seasonal (it's near the beach, many of the businesses are only open in the late spring/summer/early fall). I guess I've got a lot of work cut out for me if I want to do this!)
              All you really need is for some way for people with a similar interest to get together. I started the Mon Night Slow Runs with my club b/c one of my neighbor expressed an interest in starting to run. Make announcements looking for running partners in the local paper, in churches, where ever people go. Once you do get a group together, you might want to communicate with everyone through a googlegroups list. We use this a lot in Wicked to see might be available for a run on an unusual day or to simply communicate with the entire group. Even if your running stores are not close, find a good one (you all will need someone good to sell you shoes and other accessories). Strike up a conversation with the owner, explain what you are doing, they might have ideas and they will surely offer your club members a discount (at least they do in my area). Aim at getting something started, set modest goals and go from there. If you think of it, tell us how you are doing with this project.

John
              www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I haven't tried starting a group myself, but if you don't have a running store nearby to help you find interested people, another idea might be to start with local races. Pretty much every race I've gone to has at least a table of flyers for future races and for other running-related info (more-organized ones will even have pre-stuffed bags for the runners). It may cost a little in copy fees, but getting some flyers out there might help you get in touch with interested locals. You will need a way to communicate easily with them; as others have said, a website, Google or Yahoo group, or Meetup.com group is probably the easiest way to go for this. Good Luck - hope it takes off for you! MTA: I also like the idea of using the local Recreation Dept, and getting info out through them. How about local high schools & colleges, also?
                jtv

Jill, Just happened to stumble across this thread. I live in EHT. There are actually a few local clubs, but they don't meet on a regular basis. Another person tried to start a club last fall. We met every Sunday on the Boardwalk in Ventnor, but haven't met in a few months. We might start trying to meet again now that it is getting warmer. Here is a link to the club's website. Contact Brandi for more info. http://www.atlanticcountyrunners.com/

Mitch & Pete's Mom

If you are interested in finding other moms who want to train for an event, you may want to look at http://www.momsinmotion.com/. There is a "Start a Group" link on the home page. Good luck
                    Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hi, I live in an area that needs a running club, but I have no idea how to go about starting a successful club. I would love to hear about your experience if you've started one or helped to start one up. Thanks! -Jill
                      Move to Nashville. We have a great club here.
                      jeffdonahue

I guess how do you define "needs a running club." Is it that you see tons of other runners out there and there is no club. Then I say make some fliers and hit the roads, run up next to all these people and hand them a flyer. If there is a local running trail and maybe a lot where people park to access it, drop fliers on their windshields. See if there is a local gym you could advertise it in - they might even allow you to meet there if it means they might get a few more members. Also, make sure you search teh web for any and all lists of running clubs. That is where I found mine. It is actually two towns over from where I live but they had the best training schedule. So people really do look through those sites to find clubs. Best of luck Jeff
                        MrH

I guess how do you define "needs a running club."
                          Yeah ... be careful what you wish for. If you're just looking for to establish a group to run with, socialize with at local races, and wear the same t-shirt, then a Meetup Group might be the way to go. RRCA can help you set up a club if another one is needed in your area, but associated with it are procedures, bylaws, formality, fees, insurance etc. to protect you should anything happen at a club 'event'.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

If you're just looking for to establish a group to run with, socialize with at local races, and wear the same t-shirt, then a Meetup Group might be the way to go.
                            Meetup groups are great, it automatically sends reminders, has forum features etc, that really keep people involved. Our running group has grown from about 6-7 runners to 30-40 every week since we started using this site. http://www.meetup.com
                            ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

RRCA also mentions that one way to start a club is informal until you can build some core members and momentum. You don't have to charge fees or even join RRCA, although once things get going it is sa great next step. I am currently starting a club in my area. I decided to do it because I saw some many people out there running and thought we needed a club. I simply posted fliers where I thought other runners might be, mostly on telephone poles along the running routs, and a few local gyms as well as coffee shops. I did put a couple of fliers at a local running store, but most of my members are coming from other sources so you don't need a club. It is slow going. We stated in mid January and now have about 15 people but so far only 9 have shown up at any one time to run, but just about every week I get at least two inquiries about the club. So I suspect as the wetehr turns warmer we will get more people. A couple of weeks ago I was a bit discouraged as we only had 4 runners, including myself and DW Smile lately it is picking up. So hang in there and try to think of ways to get the word out.

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
                              My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
                              Ride 112 miles.
                              Run 26.2 miles.
                              Then brag for the rest of your life.
                              -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator