Oscar Pistorius (Blade Runner) Arrested (Read 549 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

we stand behind the hundreds of successful events we have hosted over the years

BTW, I did quite a bit of research during this discourse. Turns out there was no large company that I could find putting on hundreds of events, nor really even a few events. The dude with whom I was interacting was just some local fellow, looked fairly young and not like the head of any large event company. I would have been feistier, but something about the pics of him I found on the internet, well, I relented...

...and yeah, I almost did respond, copying his mother there at the end and including the entire message thread. "Okay, but I am not sure why you want me to include your mother. Perhaps she handles the refunds? Either way, please process my refund as soon as possible."

I should also point out that I have since learned that SwiftWick does make products for amputees. Too bad the vendor did not take the opportunity to educate me, to promote SwiftWick's products.

Chris T

I initially thought the Swiftwick connection was weird, too.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Wow, Trent. That is crazy.

TRUST THE PROCESS

JPF

But it sounds like there may be more to this story than we know. I find it odd they they immediately charge him with murder if he thought it was a burglar.

My wife spent a little time in South Africa.  As the Australian news article suggests, it is a violent and somewhat paranoid place.  It is very common to personally know somebody who has been murdered in a random criminal incident.  (Unlike in the U.S. where the vast majority of murders are either gang/drug related or domestic violence.)  There must be something else going on here to cause them to immediately dismiss his mistaken identity excuse.  I guess he did live in a high security compound, which makes the burglar thing less plausible, but I don't think it's unheard of to have home invasions in those kinds of places.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

The police have stated the reports he thought there was an intruder did not come from them.

Nothing I've read suggests that he has made any statement yet either.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I live here in the safe USA, in a safe suburb....

In general, I live fairly secure.

About 5 years ago, on a Friday night, we were broken into by an intruder.  We were sleeping and the alarm system sounded.

The next 5 minutes were a blur... Literally, it was blurry as I forgot to put on my glasses when I was walking through the house, and I forgot to consider all of the bad things that might happen (ie. being shot at, clubbed, hit, strangled, etc.).

Once I came to my senses, I realized how bad things could have been for me and my family.

Likewise, I also realized how bad things could have been for anybody that might have been in my way if I had my bearings to attack (knife, gun, baseball bat) since I was blind and hardly alert.

Being blind without corrective lenses, and being in a total haze as it relates to what the heck is going on was quite frightening as I think back to the event.

____

The Pistorius story is sad.

I hope it wasn't an accident.

I hope it wasn't murder.

Unfortunately, it's likely 1 of those 2.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

L Train

Anyway that is neuter here nor there.

Feeling the growl again

I live here in the safe USA, in a safe suburb....

In general, I live fairly secure.

About 5 years ago, on a Friday night, we were broken into by an intruder.  We were sleeping and the alarm system sounded.

The next 5 minutes were a blur... Literally, it was blurry as I forgot to put on my glasses when I was walking through the house, and I forgot to consider all of the bad things that might happen (ie. being shot at, clubbed, hit, strangled, etc.).

Once I came to my senses, I realized how bad things could have been for me and my family.

Likewise, I also realized how bad things could have been for anybody that might have been in my way if I had my bearings to attack (knife, gun, baseball bat) since I was blind and hardly alert.

Being blind without corrective lenses, and being in a total haze as it relates to what the heck is going on was quite frightening as I think back to the event.

____

The Pistorius story is sad.

I hope it wasn't an accident.

I hope it wasn't murder.

Unfortunately, it's likely 1 of those 2.

This highlights how important it is for everyone to have a plan for such a situation.  Your kids should know what to do if they hear the alarm sound.  Plans are hard to stick to in the heat of the moment when half-awake, but it's better than dumbfounded confusion.  Smile

We had an attempted break-in a number of years ago, which prompted us to take this step.

This thread reminds me of a flashlight which needs to be returned to its proper place and some batteries that need to be replaced....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

My wife spent a little time in South Africa.  As the Australian news article suggests, it is a violent and somewhat paranoid place.  It is very common to personally know somebody who has been murdered in a random criminal incident.  (Unlike in the U.S. where the vast majority of murders are either gang/drug related or domestic violence.)  There must be something else going on here to cause them to immediately dismiss his mistaken identity excuse.  I guess he did live in a high security compound, which makes the burglar thing less plausible, but I don't think it's unheard of to have home invasions in those kinds of places.

It may have something to do with the four shots to the head and upper body.

He may be telling the truth and all I know is I hope I'm never in a situation where something like that could occur. I've never heard of a home invasion in our little town, or any town in the area.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Having lived in southern Africa, (Zimbabwe not RSA), for 20 years, I can tell you that "rape gates" are standard equipment on houses in that part of the world.

As you can imagine, this makes it much harder for a thief to enter the house as the gate is a substantial steel grid covering the exterior doorways. However,  by using a long pole with a hook small items like wallets can be stolen through the burglar bars on the windows, people can sneak in when the gate is not locked and unattended, or can gain access by use of a gun  to threaten occupants, so it is not impossible.

My guess is that the likelihood of there being an intruder in the house is pretty small- unfortunately I have to admit it seems a man I admired has committed a horrible crime.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Tiefsa

The woman was shot in the face.  She was also shot four times.  Maybe I watch too much crime drama on TV, but that is usually an indication that the victim knew the shooter.

Pretend for a moment it's not Oscar Pistorius, sports hero and just some random guy:

GF is dead of multiple gunshot wounds to the face and torso,

BF and GF were the only two people inside the well fortified home at the time,

BF really really liked his guns,

Police had been called to the home multiple times for "allegations of a domestic nature."

Under those circumstances is anyone really surprised that BF is being charged with murder, or even remotely questioning it?

Runners run

hhall5223

As a representative of Swiftwick, I can say that I am very, very proud of the work that we have done to improve the quality of life for amputees (both athletes and non-athletes) all over the world with the Valor product. The vendor is in no way affiliated with us as a company, and one informal meeting discussing the possibility of the visit was the extent of the relationship. You can imagine (at least at the time) how big that would have been for a small(er) company like ours to have Pistorius endorse our Valor product (which can be read about here: http://blog.swiftwick.com/swiftwicks-valor-liner-sock-for-amputees ) and to speak in our hometown, but the next day heard that Oscar's agent had cancelled. Hindsight is certainly 20/20 and I can say that we are glad that the visit did not in fact take place!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hey Hunter, thank you for your response. I agree, I am glad y'all did not get associated with this nonevent in the end. Thanks for chiming in!

NorNev

but I don't think he has a leg to stand on with that.

If the shoe don't fit...you must aquit