Color Run? Whats the Point (Read 477 times)

npaden

It is hard to understand but they seem to have a huge appeal.  I think the largest local race here in Lubbock runs right around 1,000 runners.  A 10k and 5k during homecoming week for Texas Tech University.  There is one local CASA 5k that gets close to that sometimes.

This year was the first color run for Lubbock and it drew 13,000 "runners".  The CASA 5k fundraiser two weeks later almost canceled because they didn't have hardly anyone sign up.

The event was pretty poorly organized here and seemed to be running on a maximize profit mentality, but running the numbers they grossed at least $500,000.  I've tried to find out the actual $ that went to the sponsored charity but haven't ever been able to get a good number.

Count me in as someone who would have liked to come up with the idea as well.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Mysecondnewname

I see the OP's point, but IMHO, the house of running has many rooms, and if these events serve as gateway runs for the masses, it's all good!

(That Norovirus Tough Mudder sounds awful!)  Sad

Tiefsa

I think a color run is kind of a take on the Hindu holiday, Holi.

I like the fact that they get people out and moving. Regardless if I don't get it, they are prob a good thing. "I just don't understand what motivates people to do them.  I understand not everyone races for time, but why are people willing to do runs like these but not go out on a run with a friend?

Orion Goals: 5k 18:30 10K 38:00 Marathon 3:10

It is hard to understand but they seem to have a huge appeal.  I think the largest local race here in Lubbock runs right around 1,000 runners.  A 10k and 5k during homecoming week for Texas Tech University.  There is one local CASA 5k that gets close to that sometimes.

This year was the first color run for Lubbock and it drew 13,000 "runners".  The CASA 5k fundraiser two weeks later almost canceled because they didn't have hardly anyone sign up.

The event was pretty poorly organized here and seemed to be running on a maximize profit mentality, but running the numbers they grossed at least $500,000.  I've tried to find out the actual $ that went to the sponsored charity but haven't ever been able to get a good number.

Count me in as someone who would have liked to come up with the idea as well.

Ours in Amarillo wasn't quite that big, but I think around 12,000. The area where it was held isn't designed for that many people. Also, it's in our medical area, where our two big hospitals are. That just sounded like a bad idea to me.

I was hoping the color run would have the opposite effect from what you described. I hoped it would inspire people to get out there and run more local races. Most of ours have a few hundred, tops. Our casa race is much smaller than you guys'. Our Race for the Cure is normally our biggest event, with around 5,000, including walkers. Other than that, the turkey trot is the "big" race.....around 900 last year.

Julia1971

I like the fact that they get people out and moving. Regardless if I don't get it, they are prob a good thing. "I just don't understand what motivates people to do them.  I understand not everyone races for time, but why are people willing to do runs like these but not go out on a run with a friend?

I would guess for some people, it's what Ileneforward describes - the "Yay, Look at Me!" factor.  I think it's also an opportunity to cut loose and act like a kid again.  Day to day running doesn't usually have that factor.  Unless it rains or something and I find myself splashing through puddles.

I understand thousands of folks like to do the Color Run, but an untimed run?   I miss how it can really be called a "running event" if it is not even timed.

Would they get just as many folks to participate if they called it the "Color Festival" instead of the Color Run?   Because that is what it is!  More of a 'fun' thing, not a 'run' thing.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

JPF

I think a color run is kind of a take on the Hindu holiday, Holi.

I actually wonder if that's not where the idea came from.

Jess runs for bacon

I did ofauna few months ago, it sounded fun. I did not have a great time. It was fun getting blasted with color, but the amount of walkers was insane. I try not to get too judgy, but I saw some pretty overweight chicks wearing matching shirts that said "Fifty Shades of Sweat," and they walked the whole way. Not sweating. I know a lot of people who did it as their first 5k, but walked the whole thing.

I've been asked by several friends to do two different color runs and I refused. Because after doing the Glorun I realized that these things are way too crowded to actually run and are more of a big three mile party.

Mud runs like Tough Mudder on the other hand are not the same kind of thing. I've done a Tough Mudder and I will do it again, I found it to be challenging, painful and a lot of fun.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

A lot of people probably ask what's the point of just running, with no color, no mud, no R&R bands, etc. etc.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

It's great if it gets people up and moving, but no thanks.  For that cost, the event better be timed at the very least.  Not my thing.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

delicate flower

Just a hunch but I am guessing people do those because they think it'll be FUN.  It's kind of dumb though that somebody would pay good money to do something that they think might be fun.

<3

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Just a hunch but I am guessing people do those because they think it'll be FUN.  It's kind of dumb though that somebody would pay good money to do something that they think might be fun.

*eyeroll*

good for them. It's not my idea of fun and I think I'm entitled to that opinion.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54