FR 405 GPS inport (Read 900 times)

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

GPS inprot adn FR 405. It doesn't seem to work, I have the 405 and I get an eror message that says multiple devices detected, although I only have a 405 Confused I'm getting the same error on both Firefox and IE7.

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
    My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
    Ride 112 miles.
    Run 26.2 miles.
    Then brag for the rest of your life.
    -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

Lazy idiot

GPS inprot adn FR 405. It doesn't seem to work, I have the 405 and I get an eror message that says multiple devices detected, although I only have a 405 Confused I'm getting the same error on both Firefox and IE7.
      Do you have an iPod or other external storage device connected at the same time? This was my problem, and unhooking the offending device solved the problem (temporarily).

Tick tock

Do you have an iPod or other external storage device connected at the same time? This was my problem, and unhooking the offending device solved the problem (temporarily).
        Same here...had an SD card inserted.
        ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

hmmm, could be that I have a thumb drive inserted, I'll check that when I get home, Thanks for the tip!

Swim 2.4 miles.
          Ride 112 miles.
          Run 26.2 miles.

eric :)

I didn't know that the Garmin API will report back all devices connected to your computer. I'll see if I can work around this shortcoming tonight.
            ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Thanks, Eric, the message doesn't actually list each device, it just said that it "detected multiple devices" I in fact only have one Garmin GPS device attached but I have had three others in the past, none of which I am using (expect the 405)

Swim 2.4 miles.
              Ride 112 miles.
              Run 26.2 miles.

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Turns out I had an old version of the Garmin Communicator Plug In, all is well. Nifty utility Smile No more double entry!

Swim 2.4 miles.
                Ride 112 miles.
                Run 26.2 miles.

Former runner

I noticed that when I used the Garmin plugin on their site it would list the 405 and a SD card slot I have on my laptop. I installed the newest plugin recently and everything worked fine for me.

Ross

Imminent Catastrophe

Hey Eric, is there a way to manually import the .tcx file? The 405 thingy is rife with problems and doesn't work with the RA log importer (on Mac) but I am able to get the tcx files on my hard drive. BTW it doesn't work at all on the Windoze side either. MTA: I meant the ANT USB device isn't working on the Windows side, it worked with Parallels v3 but not with v4. Wish I could downgrade. But that's a Garmin or Parallels issue, it's not Eric's fault. A manual tcx download would be a good workaround, though.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Hey Eric, is there a way to manually import the .tcx file? The 405 thingy is rife with problems and doesn't work with the RA log importer (on Mac) but I am able to get the tcx files on my hard drive. BTW it doesn't work at all on the Windoze side either.
                      I am having the same problem and there has been no word when Garmin will update the 405 Communicator Plugin for mac
                      "Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it." Lou Holtz

Russ, I'll work on a GPX/TCX importer for you. It will take several days since I got other stuff on my plate to work through. eric :-)

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks Eric but don't worry about it too much! I'm sure there are a lot more important things for you to think about. It's just a "wish list" item.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Former runner

Hey Eric, is there a way to manually import the .tcx file? The 405 thingy is rife with problems and doesn't work with the RA log importer (on Mac) but I am able to get the tcx files on my hard drive. BTW it doesn't work at all on the Windoze side either. MTA: I meant the ANT USB device isn't working on the Windows side, it worked with Parallels v3 but not with v4. Wish I could downgrade. But that's a Garmin or Parallels issue, it's not Eric's fault. A manual tcx download would be a good workaround, though.
                            I don't know if this will help you but here's what I figured out on my system (Win XP Home SP3). You don't need the USB ANT device plugged in or the ANT agent running. It seems like the only thing you need to retrieve the .tcx files is the Communicator plugin. The Ant agent saves the files in a specific directory and the Communicator plugin looks for the .tcx files in that directory. I might try exporting some old workouts from GTC to that folder and see if they show up in the RA import screen. The directory is usually C: \Documents and Settings\< user="" />\Application Data\GARMIN\Devices\< id="" number="" />\History Where < user="" /> is the Windows user name and < id="" number="" /> is some number specific to your 405. On another issue, the imported workouts seem to be crashing my Firefox 3.0.6. It's after they have been uploaded and saved as a workout. While I'm filling in some of the regular data and notes is when it happened first. Then again when I went to view the workout from the workouts list. MTA: I exported an old workout from GTC as a .tcx file and put it in the directory with the current .tcx files and it uploaded it. I did have to uncheck the box to import only new workouts.

Ross

Imminent Catastrophe

OK I finally got the ANT stick working (on Windoze via Parallels) and wow, cool! Still not working in Mac but that'll have to wait on Garmin to update the driver. Thanks Eric!

On another issue, the imported workouts seem to be crashing my Firefox 3.0.6. It's after they have been uploaded and saved as a workout. While I'm filling in some of the regular data and notes is when it happened first. Then again when I went to view the workout from the workouts list.
                                I'm not sure why FF is crashing on you. There is not much difference between GPS imported and manually entered ones. Does it crash on a specific page (i.e. summary, map, or graphs)?