EKG and echocardiogram - any useful info for runners? (Read 914 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

So all my physician friends are recommending I get an EKG and echo (following an episode of [suspected] hyponatremia that resulted in me passing out for a few seconds last weekend). I think they're a bunch of hypochondriacs, but what the heck, and hey it never hurts to get some baseline info. I'm wondering if this might yield some useful information from a runner's point of view. I can't think of anything, anyone else? Anything else I might ask of the cardiologist since I'm schlepping over there anyway? Hey, dude, can I get a stress test while we're all here? Probably not... Arla

Ex runner

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If you passed out, you need to have that explained. You suspected hyponatremia, but I was not convinced. It may well have been. A baseline ECG is cheap, but is low yield in terms of things that may make you pass out. An echo is more expensive and can show certain things that can cause you to pass out. A holter monitor watches your ECG rhythm for 24-48+ hours and can reveal additional information. To get all these tests will cost you ~$1000 or more. My recommendation: go see your doc. Explain that you passed out and are worried that this could have been caused by hyponatremia, a heart condition or dehydration (the most likely villains). Make sure your doc takes these seriously. Your doc can then EXAMINE you and be a bit more selective with the right testing. It may be reasonable to get a referral to a sports med doc or a cardiologist. And YES, it MAY hurt to get a test that is not necessary. No test is perfect and occasionally tests show things that are "abnormal" even through they do not represent any disease. Once you have the info, you need to follow it up with more definitive, more expensive and more dangerous tests. A blip on an ECG may lead to a cardiac catheterization which has as among its risks causing renal failure, heart attack and death. If you never got the ECG, you would never have gotten the follow up cardiac cath...
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

(enjoy my rants, here) Big grin
          I had a friend do the full battery on me when I started having fluttering at night. He did the EKG, ECG, ultrasound and stress EKG. It was actually kind of fun doing the stress test--even in dress pants and dress shoes, they had to jack the speed and incline WAAAY up to get any kind of load on my heart. It's fun to be fit! Big grin They're used to the 400 lb. midwesterners who have smoked since age 13 and eaten biscuits and gravy every day of their lives. They get their max heart rate sitting reading a magazine... Anyway, it's nice to have the data and know things are ok in that area. I don't feel so enthused about my impending post-50 colonoscopy. Shocked TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

ECG = EKG Among those tests, ONLY the stress test checks for anything related to biscuits you have eaten, which impacts cardiac blood flow. The ECG/EKG tests cardiac electrical flow (impacted by genetic electrical pathway problems and prior heart attacks, not by biscuits). The echocardiogram (= ultrasound) tests cardiac function (impacted by certain genetic diseases, hypertension and other acquired diseases and prior heart attacks, but not by biscuits).
              I don't feel so enthused about my impending post-50 colonoscopy. Shocked TC
              You'll be half asleep, feel little to no discomfort and able to see inside yourself - I found the procedure itself quite interesting. But I'm weird. First ultrasound I had I ended up talking most of the time to the doctor about how technology has changed and how the thing actually works. My husband was the one who asked if the baby was okay. Arla - I'm not a doctor but I'd agree - go do the tests. Coworker passed out for no reason . Doctor insisted she did the tests and actually found out she has the heart rate and fitness of an athlete - Heart rate only 50. She never exercises beyond walking her dog, but is slim and watches what in terms of processed food she eats. It did however stop her smoking after almost 20 years - she was down to five or six a day but this pushed her over the edge into a non-smoking life. Anyway, she found the whole thing bothersome, didn't want to pay the co-pays, but ended up with complete piece of mind her heart was fine.
                double post

Queen of 3rd Place

Trent - you go ahead and rant all you want, it IS appreciated! SusanElizabethK - I'm a little odd like you Tongue, I find the whole thing fascinating, even if it's going to be a bit of a time suck. One of the courses I teach is undergraduate-level human physiology, but I'm no physician (I'm not even a mammal, much less a human physiologist by training), so I'm looking forward to gaining knowledge to spice up my lectures. BTW, my physician is a runner, all I can say is these guys are SO worth seeking out, what a pleasure to get encouragement instead of being told you'll wreck your knees (that was the last guy's attitude). Big grin Arla

Ex runner

ECG = EKG Among those tests, ONLY the stress test checks for anything related to biscuits you have eaten, which impacts cardiac blood flow. The ECG/EKG tests cardiac electrical flow (impacted by genetic electrical pathway problems and prior heart attacks, not by biscuits). The echocardiogram (= ultrasound) tests cardiac function (impacted by certain genetic diseases, hypertension and other acquired diseases and prior heart attacks, but not by biscuits).
                    Let me rephrase that: He did a butt-load of tests and said I'm ok. Re: the biscuit and gravy thing. Are you saying it's ok to eat them every day? Wink TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Bugs

Do what your doctor says. I was in E.R. once, chest bared to the world, sticky pads everywhere, cardiologist all around me saying my heart was in funk when they rolled in the crash cart. Scared the shit of me. Just do whatever docs says. Somebody has to pay for Doc's vacation home in Aruba, my as well be us. Smile (Better safe than sorry) MTA: Dam I wish I could do my stress test over again. I really could PR this time.

Bugs

Run the race God set B4U

Hey Arla, I also had the stress test a couple of years ago. It was for fluttering/palipatations. I had EKG's, 24 hr halter monitor, the works. It turns out it was nothing, but it was worth getting all those tests to find out my heart was in good shape. I had to really walk fast to get my heart rate up too. The Dr told me I was healthy and asked if i worked out, I told him I ran a little (a couple of years ago it was "a little) anyway, he told me he could tell. I would go get checked out, it's worth it. It does cost quite a bit, but you can't put a price tag on your health. Hope everything is ok, keep us posted.
                        5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Somebody has to pay for Doc's vacation home in Aruba, my as well be us.
                          Uh yeah. Something like that.
                            Somebody has to pay for Doc's vacation home in Aruba, my as well be us. Smile
                            Actually, you're paying for the insurance company executive's house in a Aruba... both your health insurance executives and your doc's malpractice insurance executives. They need their spa treatments too.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Right. And the Doc gets none of it either.
                                The docs in my family can't do Aruba... just Vail. ;-)