2014 Gardening Thread (Read 186 times)

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

My garlic is alive!  Ditto for the strawberries and blueberries, scallions, chives, and oregano.  Still waiting to see rhubarb, asparagus and horseradish.

Leah, mother of dogs

Prince of Fatness

The potatoes went in over the weekend.  I have hip surgery coming up but not much needs to be done for about a month, so I am in good shape.

Not at it at all. 

not lazy, just tired

I have tomato, eggplant, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage started under lights. Going to ski one last time on Thursday, and then this weekend I think I'll put the broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage seedlings in the cold frame to harden them off. This was one long, cold winter.

Not if it makes sense.

Prince of Fatness

I have been having a hard time with deer the past few seasons so my wife and I took an old window flower box and planted some lettuce and spinach seeds in there.  That will stay up on the deck (don't think that the deer will come up there).  Should make picking easier too.

Not at it at all. 

SOOO, i guess i'm the only one growing weed, huh.

Feeling the growl again

Onions in, strawberries flowering, rhubarb almost ready to cut and freeze.

I did the first-pass rough pruning of my grape vines.  Tragic.  I have 68 mature vines - 20 Marachel Foch (red), 18 Oberlin Noir (red), 20 Cayuga White, 5 Ontario (white seeded table grape) and 5 Canadice (red seedless table grape).  The Cayuga were by far my highest-yielding, I got almost a gallon of wine per vine last year.   Also have 30 Marquette (red) I put in just last year.

The three consecutive -15F days with wind exposure this winter may have been too much even for this cold-hardy variety.  For certain, everything under 3/8" in diameter is dead.  I saw some water coming out of the cut ends a week ago, but now they are not weeping anymore and look to be browning.  Buds are breaking on everything except the Cayuga.  At this point, I think the best-case scenario is that the 2 feet of snow on the ground protected the roots and I lose 2 years growing them back to full size.  I'm guessing these trunks are dead.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

BeeRunB

My lavender is not looking so good after this cold Atlanta winter. Normally, it make it through, and looks vibrant and alive for about 9 months. Now, It looks partially dead, but not sure if it really is yet. Some spots are getting green. Not sure if I should cut off what I think is dead just yet. Or wait it out. Any lavender experts?

In comparison, my sage is coming back beautifully.

Since you don't really need to worry about frost anymore this spring, just prune it a little and you'll be ok. Cold winters in Atlanta..made me chuckle a little.

jules2

Jimmy there are different types that react different ways but I'd be tempted to cut off the obviously dead bits

This side of the pond I've finished the sprouting broc and been eating asparagus and rhubarb ( not in the same dish ) for a couple of weeks

i have three long rows of asparagus and replace one row every few years to keep the continuity going, the first time I grew it I started from seed but it not recommended as it's a four year wait.

My solitary grapevine has died but potatoes are up and seeds sprouting

We have had three wet Winters on the trot and not only has the goodness been washed out the soil but it has set solid ( we have clay soli ) something that has never happened in the 30 years I've had the plot. Even rotivators ( do you call them that? ) are bouncing off the subsoil

Last Autumn I put a heating coil in the bottom of my cold frame and covered it with sand so I can use it to raise the softer stuff earlier and grow salad through the Winter I wish I'd done it earlier

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

BeeRunB

Since you don't really need to worry about frost anymore this spring, just prune it a little and you'll be ok. Cold winters in Atlanta..made me chuckle a little.

Thanks for the advice.

It's all relative, Man. I'm from Rhode Island, just here five years, and it seems comical to see a metro paralyzed by 1 inch of snow, or that I now need a jacket when it's below 70º (i caught the southern thin blood disease).  

Feeling the growl again

rotivators ( do you call them that? ) are bouncing off the subsoil

I'm betting you are referring to a rototiller.

That's one thing I enjoyed about my trip to the UK a few years back (aside from meeting Purdey of course).  Some of the subtle linguistical differences really interest me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Jules2, it's cool to hear from someone else who has started asparagus from seed.  Mine is about five years old now, and I am hoping for my first good harvest.  Right now the biggest shoots are only three or four inches tall.  It's rough going here in zone 5a.  i feel like I am so far behind everyone else.  My rhubarb has only just begun to grow.

The spinach I planted has finally sprouted, and I have one or two peas up finally.  And all the seeds I started indoors have sprouted except for the celery and hot peppers.  It's still pretty cold and rainy here, upper 40's to low 50's for high temp. Sad

Leah, mother of dogs

Feeling the growl again

Jules2, it's cool to hear from someone else who has started asparagus from seed.  Mine is about five years old now, and I am hoping for my first good harvest.  Right now the biggest shoots are only three or four inches tall.  It's rough going here in zone 5a.  i feel like I am so far behind everyone else.  My rhubarb has only just begun to grow.

Where I grew up, there was wild asparagus growing along the rural roadsides in certain places.  People used to keep lists of the locations and then the race was on in the spring to see who got to it first.

SOOO, i guess i'm the only one growing weed, huh.

nope.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

It's still pretty cold and rainy here, upper 40's to low 50's for high temp. Sad

We had a couple of nice days, but mostly we aren't breaking the 50s here yet. Forecast is to freeze tonight and tomorrow night. My strawberries plants are turning green and my tulips are leaves 3" tall. Can't even think of planting a garden here yet. Usually that's a May long weekend thing.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.