Breaking in shoes (Read 908 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I've never had an issue with this. I buy shoes and they generally feel pretty ok from day one. that being said, I'm going to be buying my marathon shoes just over two weeks prior to race day. These are going to be the same make and model that I've been wearing for the last 700 miles. Do you think there are any concerns buying shoes this close to race day?
    C-R

better wear some good tech socks possibly even doubles. I've had some friends do this and paid a price but those marathons were rainy and wet. Certainly get some miles on them as I've found the same model sometimes fits a bit differently between pairs. Good luck on the marathon.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

If its the same make and model, then you should be fine as long as you get one long run and a couple shorter runs done in the new shoes. Basically what you're concerned about is any manufacturing defect or non-conformity that might make the new pair (or one shoe of the new pair) not work well. Its pretty rare to see this happen, but it happens. On my fifth pair of a particular make/model, I found one shoe that had some kind of stitching or construction issue that caused serious blisters.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

JakeKnight

Do you think there are any concerns buying shoes this close to race day?
          I wouldn't do it. Do you really need to have new shoes this close to a race? I just checked your log. If this is the pair with 440-something miles, I'd run with them in race. Unless they're really hurting you, I'd take a shoe with 1000 miles on it over one with zero. The last thing you need is some weird problem with a new pair of shoes popping up at mile 17. Is it likely? Probably not, with a model you're used to. But I wouldn't do it. Just one more thing that could go wrong. I'd never go near a marathon with shoes without at least 100 miles on them. Especially if I didn't get to try them out in a long run. That's just me. YMMV.
          Its pretty rare to see this happen, but it happens. On my fifth pair of a particular make/model, I found one shoe that had some kind of stitching or construction issue that caused serious blisters.
          Imagine how bad it would suck to DNF because of something like that. Hey, you should just go barefoot. I hear its awesome!

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

protoplasm72

For me 2 weeks is more then enough break in time. If you've got a bad pair you'd know after just a few miles.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

For me 2 weeks is more then enough break in time. If you've got a bad pair you'd know after just a few miles.
              While I don't discount JK's cautious approach, I tend to agree with protoplasm on this one. I've done my three marathons on shoes with 71, 19 and 21 miles on them respectively. In the case of the 19 and 21 mile shoes, these were both the same make/model as a prior pair that I had run in for many weeks.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

If your shoes fit properly they shouldn't require any breaking in. As long as you can get a couple of runs in you'll be fine and two weeks will be plenty of time for that. I've cut it as close as one week from a marathon with no problems. Your legs will thank you for the added cushioning of the new shoes vs. the old worn out ones. Tom
                  i broke in shoes in 3 wks prior to a 1/2 last year. The shoes were sooooo amazingly comfortable and the ride so smooth, I couldn't imagine continuing in my old shoes. The 1/2 was fine. good luck! (and did you say the shoes you have now have 700 miles on them? Wow, you get good life out of your shoes, or they really really need to be retired).

2008 Goals: 10k < 44, HM < 1:40, learn to use my Garmin

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I wouldn't do it. Do you really need to have new shoes this close to a race? I just checked your log. If this is the pair with 440-something miles, I'd run with them in race. Unless they're really hurting you, I'd take a shoe with 1000 miles on it over one with zero. The last thing you need is some weird problem with a new pair of shoes popping up at mile 17. Is it likely? Probably not, with a model you're used to. But I wouldn't do it. Just one more thing that could go wrong. !
                    I just started loggging my miles on this site jan of this year. the actual mileage on these shoes is over 800. For that mileage, they're in pretty good shape, but I definitely feel the lack of cushioning in them. On longer runs I can feel it in the small of my back. I think I'll get them and run in them between now and the marathon. that will give me a few medium/long runs and one 18 miler. I'll make the call onrace day based on what the 18 miler feels like.
                      My training partner asked the same exact question... she has done 8+ marathons... and she asked a guy I run with who has done a bunch and has like 30 states done... and his resonse was... "Dance with the girl that brung ya!" hehe... Then he said that get them and run a few weeks on them including one long run... before trying to race in newer shoes... That being siad... I know an elite that has run races on brand spakin new shoes... and doesn't have a problem
                      milkbaby

Read this about Robert Cheruiyot's new marathon shoes: http://forums.runnersworld.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/687106477/m/8421073564?r=6021005564#6021005564 The Thursday before a Monday marathon, he saw the new Nike Hayward 3 at Niketown and decided to race in them. 2:07:43 in trainers. I doubt he had much chance to break them in... Smile Like Berner said, you just want to make sure they don't have any weird defect, so if you get them a little ahead of time, you got enough time to run with them to make sure and exchange them if need be. I've done a 23 mile long run in new shoes out of the box, so for me the issue of "break in" is not important. Everybody's different though.
                        "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura

I ran a marathon yesterday in new shoes. I tried a pair of them on 5 weeks ago at the expo at ING Georgia, had my rep drop them off for me at my local store the week after Boston, did 2 runs in them (~5 and ~10 miles) and then raced the marathon in them. It was the first time that I used racing flats in a marathon rather than light weight trainers. It worked out pretty well for me. Generally speaking, shoes these days don't really need to be "broken in" as much as they did 10 or even 5 years ago. That being said, having shoes that fit properly when purchased is important. I normally would opt for the shoes with more miles if I was at all unsure.

Run to Win
                          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I ususally try to have 25-50 mi on shoes before a race - in the socks I'm planning on using, and a suitable long run. For me, my orthotic needs to seat itself in the insole and the forefoot flexibility needs a little bit of work. I can work on the forefoot flexibility my flexing them in my hands without actually wearing them. Plus also need to be sure there's no manufacturer defects.
                            "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                            JimR

Shouldn't ever have to break em in, but you will want to try them out on a longer run to make sure they're okay. If they hurt, you may not even want to train in them let alone race.
                                Today's running shoes do not have to be "broken in". They are almost always as "safe" right out of the box as they will be after 100 miles. Although rare, since they are hand stitched it is possible to have a rough seam on the inside that could rub your foot and cause a blister. Thus, it's a good idea to run a few times in them before the marathon to make sure that they don't have such a flaw. I liked to run marathons in new shoes after having run 25-50 miles in them. I once ran a marathon in a new pair right out of the box with no problems.