Forerunner 305 extended battery? (Read 1834 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Anyone know if I can get a battery that will enable me to use my watch during an 100 mile Ultra?

Or any suggestions on how to handle such a situation Smile

Thanks!

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)
    bhearn

If you're fast, you might be able to use a 310XT. The battery nominally lasts 20 hours. I did get 11+ once from my 305 (rated at 10); I wouldn't be surprised to get more than 20 from my 310, but I haven't tried.

Some people wear 2....turn one on halfway.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

How about something like this?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I bought a Polar RS800 CX... 30 hours on a single lithium AA battery.  Field replaceable battery and you don't even have to restart your recording.  Lasted for the entire Bear 100 last year... 27+ hours.  I went through 3 Garmins (2x 205s and 1x 305) before settling on it.  Much much better, IMHO.

- Chris

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

How about something like this?

This may do it.... cant tell if this can rapid charge or if I will need to run with my watch plugged to this thing Smile

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)
              HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I bought a Polar RS800 CX... 30 hours on a single lithium AA battery.  Field replaceable battery and you don't even have to restart your recording.  Lasted for the entire Bear 100 last year... 27+ hours.  I went through 3 Garmins (2x 205s and 1x 305) before settling on it.  Much much better, IMHO.

- Chris

Nice watch but holy cow it is expensive without the GPS.  Maybe I looked at the wrong one.  Does it show your distance etc on the watch like a Garmin?  Did you have to buy a GPS add-on component?

Thanks

• Black Canyon 100k
                • RRR
                • Zane Grey 100k
                • High Lonesome 100
                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                • The Bear 100
                • Javelina Jundred (?)
                HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

If you're fast, you might be able to use a 310XT. The battery nominally lasts 20 hours. I did get 11+ once from my 305 (rated at 10); I wouldn't be surprised to get more than 20 from my 310, but I haven't tried.

Wish I was that fast.  The XT looks pretty nice but have vowed not to upgrade my Garmin until my current one shuts down.  I have loyalty to this inanimate object.

• Black Canyon 100k
                  • RRR
                  • Zane Grey 100k
                  • High Lonesome 100
                  • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                  • The Bear 100
                  • Javelina Jundred (?)

This may do it.... cant tell if this can rapid charge or if I will need to run with my watch plugged to this thing Smile

I'm wondering the same thing for a week-long backpacking trip. At least with hiking I can leave it in the backpack and on during the battery charge. Depending on what gear you will use for your 100, you may have pockets enough to do something similar.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Nice watch but holy cow it is expensive without the GPS.  Maybe I looked at the wrong one.  Does it show your distance etc on the watch like a Garmin?  Did you have to buy a GPS add-on component?

Thanks

Yeah, it's pricey... but it's something I use every single day.  Was totally worth it for me.  The GPS pod is included.  I think I found it on sale for about $350-360.  It also has bike functions, which was nice for me since I also ride.

Since you aren't willing to replace the 305 until it dies (and I don't blame you for that), I'm not really sure what you can do.  Back when I asked almost the same question on a running list a couple years ago somebody else suggested the portable charger too... but it just seemed like way too much hassle to deal with during a race. At least there's another option out there now, for when the 305 dies (and it will).

You'll ruin your knees!

I have the 310XT and I am not fast enough to get through a 100 with the longer life battery...  It lasted a little more than 18 hours (62 miles into Bear... I was a few hours behind cgerber) before it died.  I didn't do anything to change settings to conserve battery life, mind you.. so maybe it could last even longer...

I have heard people using 2 Garmins for the distance, but that's about it.  Good luck,

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Anyone know if I can get a battery that will enable me to use my watch during an 100 mile Ultra?

Or any suggestions on how to handle such a situation Smile

Thanks!

If you don't mind carrying your cradle on that long run, you could always get something like this:  http://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Charge-SL727-Portable-Charger/dp/B00272NJFC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1267068422&sr=8-5

I have no idea if that would work, but if you try it, you should switch the strap of your 305 to the big one, and wear it on your wrist with the cradle, and then take a pic for us lol!