dnephin's garmin 305 issue (Read 590 times)

(I've tried to look through threads for similar problems and solutions before posting.)

Went to log last night (and this morning) and the Upload GPS file and/or Garmin does this:

* Scans tracks quickly, but not to 100 percent. ie, beeps variously at 2% or 68% or something (I tried it a lot.)

then

* Starts receiving tracks, but only to 90something%, at which point it says "Status: There are no new data"

Now, there is indeed a run in the Garmin.

As attempted remedies, I have:

* Checked if I have the latest updates. I do

* Soft reset.

* Deleted all history older than one month.

* Tried multiple times, say, 10. 

* Tried last night and today.

* Tried different USP ports (my idea of banging an old television on the side.)

Any ideas? I've not tried a reinstall of Garmin software yet because I didn't want to lose the run info, but if that's the solution, I'll surely do it.

Have you cleaned the contacts on the back?  If they turn black, it can have an effect on the connection.  People have had luck with a pencil eraser or rubbing alcohol to clean them, but I usually end up having to gently scrape it clean with a knife or small screwdriver.

-------------------------------------
      5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
      10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
      1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
      Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Tried, did not work. Thanks though.

Lazy idiot

You say you tried different USB ports, but did you try (if you have them) different cords?  The cord that shipped with my Garmin went on the fritz after about 9 months.  I swapped it out for another I had, and it worked.

also, if you've saved the run in your GTC (or kept it on the unit), there should be no issue with a reinstall of the Garmin software.  In my experience, this doesn't affect the saved data, just replaces the application itself.

Good luck.

Tick tock

pfriese

Went to log last night (and this morning) and the Upload GPS file and/or Garmin does this:

* Scans tracks quickly, but not to 100 percent. ie, beeps variously at 2% or 68% or something (I tried it a lot.)

then

* Starts receiving tracks, but only to 90something%, at which point it says "Status: There are no new data"

Now, there is indeed a run in the Garmin.

As attempted remedies, I have:

* Checked if I have the latest updates. I do

* Soft reset.

* Deleted all history older than one month.

* Tried multiple times, say, 10. 

* Tried last night and today.

* Tried different USP ports (my idea of banging an old television on the side.)

Any ideas? I've not tried a reinstall of Garmin software yet because I didn't want to lose the run info, but if that's the solution, I'll surely do it.

The same thing happens with mine. I does not happen very often and generally after my weekend long run. So far, most of the time a soft reset will fix the problem. However occasionally. I will have to follow a soft reset with deletion of history older than one month, followed by another soft reset. Once, I had to restart my computer after the "soft reset, deletion, soft reset" sequence to get it too work.

Not sure this helps any. If you figure out another fix be sure to post.

Paul

Chris UK

If you leave your computer on all the time I would definitely try a reboot. Also clearing your internet cache will do no harm and may resolve some issues.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

eric :)

dnephin,
                I think you tried all the suggestions I would have provided.  The incomplete download from the watch is usually fixed by a reset so I'm not sure what's going on.  If I remember correctly, pfriese had a similar problem and it went away eventually with a reboot.  What web browser are you using?

Some sort of IE. The latest, I guess.

It appears to be working now, or at least, I got last night's run off.

I also tried another cable (didn't do anything) but unchecking:

Import new workouts only

and

Mark routes to be uploaded as publicly veiwable, which I had previously always checked, seems to have done it.

And I think I did turn off/on the computer.
                  Will update w/ tomorrow's run. Just could be one of those things.
                  Thanks.

MODIFY:

That's bizarre: Put a bunch of default runs in. Huh. Will have to kill them. Thought the monthly mileage on the summary was too good to be true.

an amazing likeness

Dan -- I've seen cases where the data for the run itself is hosed in some manner and the XML the Garmin sends drives the receiving software nuts.  Over the years, I've had one or two runs where one logging software was ok, and another would hang on trying to load the run.

If you've gotten the run off your Forerunner, you may want to delete all the data off the Forerunner so that it doesn't try to parse it again and again.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

No problems today.

(I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath.)

xor

How did you know my breath smells like minnows and worms?

eric :)

I don't think changing any of the options on the page causes or fixes the problem since they're just info used by the server when it receives your data.  If anything, the reboot might have been the fix.
                            I don't think changing any of the options on the page causes or fixes the problem since they're just info used by the server when it receives your data.  If anything, the reboot might have been the fix.

For this computer illiterate, anything not understood could have been the fix Wink