alcohol and running (Read 1590 times)

Yeah Obiebyke. Blame a cat ... First sign of a problme .. oh wait, my pink elephant just made that typo Wink Seriously though, my one cat LOVES to walk on the keyboard while I'm typing. Or, really, walk on anything else I am doing. As for the question at hand, I would also advise lots of water. I'm also wondering if there's really a (significant) difference, trainingwise, in beer vs. hard liquor, as I likes me vodka and Scotch and Irish whiskey in addition to me beer and wine. Moderation, I suppose, would be the key. With the occassional exception. I had beer all during my marathon training. Glass of wine the day before.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think I just blew my beer out of my nose... Shocked
      Alcohol abuse
      JakeKnight

Stop drinking? I don't understand your question. Please rephrase. ------------- For what it's worth: last April I ran a PR marathon. I trained hard, I ate well, I drank little. I lived clean. I was dedicated. A Boy Scout. Almost monkish. Spartan, if you will. Then I unexpectedly got to run another one 3 weeks later. On a much, much harder course. But I trained little. I ate badly. I lived dirty. And not the Christian Aguilera kind of dirty, more like the eating Cheesy Poofs and drinking Pabst at 3 in the morning kind of dirty. I had at least four beers the night before the marathon. I called it carbo-loading. And I ran almost 10 minutes faster and set my current PR. That's cause and effect right there. If I were you, I'd really re-think that whole "quitting drinking" thing. It rates right up there with tapering. Bad, bad idea.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Rim Rock Dad

Mississippi, are you serious about that buffalo chicken cheese steak? Tight lipped I can't imagine that and the beer the night before the race. The people that live along the race route might not like the pit stop you made. Wink
          James "We're only at home when we're on the run." -Neil Peart

Where's my coffee?

Just be sure that you aren't running with a drink in your hand. It's such a waste of good beer (or other beverage) when it sloshes out while you run.
            My sport is your sport's punishment!

Imminent Catastrophe

... I've ran a 5k and now training for a 10k. What are your opinions on drinking alcohol while training?
              My Amphipod will hold 20 oz. of a good Pinot Noir, which nicely complements black cherry Shot Bloks Wink Sorry, couldn't resist. Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Imminent Catastrophe

Stop drinking? I don't understand your question. Please rephrase.
                JakeKnight, are you back? Really? And there was much rejoicing... Good to hear from you again. I just might change my avatar for this occasion. How's your pug?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Rim Rock Dad

Interesting combination, perfesser. I'm not quite sure if I like the finish, but it does have a great nose. Smile Hex, sloshing isn't the only the only thing you have to worry about. How about that beer burp that will come up around mile 3? Tongue
                  James "We're only at home when we're on the run." -Neil Peart

Where's my coffee?

Hex, sloshing isn't the only the only thing you have to worry about. How about that beer burp that will come up around mile 3? Tongue Yeah, beer "burp" . . . sure if that's what you call it!
                    My sport is your sport's punishment!

Sweaty

Big grin "Good To leave the drink bad is not remember where" L.L "Alcohol kills slowly ... No matter, I have no hurry" L.L
                      I donĀ“r suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single moment. L.L

The voice of mile 18

I've just started running a few months ago. I've ran a 5k and now training for a 10k. What are your opinions on drinking alcohol while training? If you do drink, how many days before a race do you stop if at all?
                        it's hard to drink and train without spilling a drink. actually moderation in drinking and you will be ok

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

obiebyke

My cat/pink elephant is sound asleep, so any multiple posts will be my responsibility. Wink Seriously though, thanks for the teasing. It makes me feel at home!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

As far as I am concerned, drinking is a vital component of a sound training plan.
                              I find that nothing helps a mild hangover like a good run the next morning. I actually ran my first 10K slightly hung over and hit my time goal. By the end I felt great. Every year there is a race around Central Park in NYC at midnight on New Years where they serve champagne at the water stop. I'd say that the rule for drinking as a runner is about the same as the rule for drinking for anyone else: Just don't overdo it.

-------------------------------------
                              5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                              10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                              1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                              Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

weissjaz

Hot Tamale Girl

Since you are supposed to "race the way you train," I always have a couple of beers the night before a big event. And nothing tastes better than a cold one the evening after a LONG run. I keep saying 2 ibuprofen and 2 beers and I feel much better. Big grin