alcohol and running (Read 1590 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

The Paris Marathon organizers think it's OK: (from Wikipedia) "The present Paris Marathon dates from 1976. It is normally held on a Sunday in April and is limited to 35,000 runners. It is organised by the Amaury Sport Organisation. It is notable for the attractive route through the heart of the city of Paris, and for the food and drinks stations which include wine, beer, cider and oysters. It is also known for lack of crowd support, especially through the final miles around the Bois de Boulogne." Personally, I've found that running has really taken a bite out of my drinking schedule. Nothing's worse than a hangover, a hot day, and your long run. Dead Arla

Ex runner

Holy hell! My cat just walked across the keyboard and created that amazing triple post. Shocked Roll eyes Anyone know how to delete? Sorry...
      HAHA! My cat used to randomly IM people things like "q23w409yjuhg"
      2009: BQ?
        Also, best recovery meal: beer and pizza.
        2009: BQ?

thumbs up!

There's a great 8k run here in Madison called the "Crazy Legs". You get free beer after. Tells me that running and beer are meant to go together.
          2010 Goals
          1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
          2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
          3. sub 30 min 5k
          4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
          Mr R

Nothing wrong with drinking and training. I usually have two beers on the night before a race...even big races that have caused me to turn down free ski trips. It helps me sleep, it has easily digestible carbs and B vitamins. I've never met a serious runner who didn't drink, including professionals with shoe contracts and Olympic Trials runners. I don't know any Olympians personally, but I've heard second hand about many of them and their beliefs about drinking. Shorter was a beer guy. Deena is really into wine. I also defy anyone to tell me that Abdi hadn't knocked more than a few back in this video: http://www.flocasts.org/flotrack/speakers.php?sid=402&vid=4724

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

one time I was typing a paper for class and my cat walked on the keyboard and typed out "poo". Sure, everyone is a critic. Later that day she typed "fffffffffffff".
              I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock

Beatin' on the Rock

Sunday, October 28, 2007 8:00 AM Start "19th Annual Bill's Beer Run" 5 Mile Run/ 1 Mile Fun Run. North Jetty Park, South end of Casey Key, Nokomis. This is a ROAD RACE. USATF Certified course: FL-00042DL Nuff said.
                Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                pitrunner

HAHA! My cat used to randomly IM people things like "q23w409yjuhg"
                  ha!!! Same thing here! My friends always thought I was drunk. 3/4 of the time they were right.
                  pitrunner

one time I was typing a paper for class and my cat walked on the keyboard and typed out "poo". Sure, everyone is a critic. Later that day she typed "fffffffffffff".
                    Ahhh ha ha haaaaa!!! That may be the funniest thing I've ever heard.

Dave

Absolute worst drinking experience in my life involved running. Wine fest in Germany. Enjoyed the afternoon for a few hours drinking steadily but nothing over the top. Maybe a bottle and a half over 3 hours or so. It started raining. Hard. A bunch of us ran back to a friend's house at a pretty fast clip. Maybe a mile and a half. I think the running pushed the alchohol into my system faster and when we got there I ended up passing out almost immediately. Was fine before the run. So I guess I'm saying that running and drinking don't always mix. I gotta go get a beer.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Mr R

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Will run for beer.
                          Somebody call me? I only drink a little bit when I train, maybe one beer before a short to medium run (up to 12 miles), and two beers before longer runs (up to 20). I don't put beer in the camelback because it gets too foamy.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I drink during training but generally won't the day before a race. AFTER the race is a different story though! Cool
                            Rachel
                            finney

Resident pinniped

I find that drinking the day before a race upsets my digestive tract too much. I have a mild case of IBS though, so my GI tract tends to be a bit iffy. But, if you're one of those people that alcohol sends to the bathroom - and I don't mean because you have to pee - steer clear a couple days before the race.
                                I avoid alcohol and meat the day before anything 10 miles or longer. I've never needed a potty stop while running. Also I save the coffee for after morning runs. Then clear the way to the bathroom. Roll eyes Back to the original question, moderation moderation moderation.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.