alcohol and running (Read 1590 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I loves me some alcohol, and this holiday season, it pretty much replaced running. However, you should be careful when mixing boozing and running. Downing more than three drinks in a 24-hour period (guilty as charged, with gusto) increases your risk of atrial fibrillation, which is a non-fatal type of heart arrhythmia. And the chances of a-fib go up even more when strenuous exercise is mixed in. Basically, a-fib means that the top two chambers of your heart beat very fast and out of control. The danger is that because blood is not being pumped effectively through the atria, clots can form. A-fib is often as "holiday heart" because it happens to people who normally don't drink much, and then drink excessively around the holidays. Myself, I keep my drinking up all year, so the holidays are no shock to me. It's called good base building. The reason I bring up a-fib is that I've had it happen to me three times. In my case, it was slamming ice-cold liquid during and after runs that caused it. The ice-cold liquid hurtling down my esophagus caused a reflex in a nearby nerve which in turn made my heart beat funny. But the very first time it happened, I had gotten absolutely sh*t-faced the night before (and also had a ton of caffeine, another a-fib trigger). So although it was the ice-cold Gatorade slam that caused it, tequila shots the previous night may have contributed to it. As a result, I don't do anything but very easy running (or none at all) the day after some serious boozing. BTW, the first time it happened, the cardiologist was skeptical that my Gatorade slam had anything to do with it. However, everyone came around when it happened again. So you may ask how I managed to do this to myself a third time despite the previous experiences. I'll sum it up as: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, shame on my parents for birthing and raising such a moron.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

HOSS1961

Somebody call me? I only drink a little bit when I train, maybe one beer before a short to medium run (up to 12 miles), and two beers before longer runs (up to 20). I don't put beer in the camelback because it gets too foamy.
      Nice picture...I think it is a cousin... Big grin A couple (as in 2) the night before a long run is okay fo me. I watch what I eat more (I had to give up Friday night Mexican...lol)
      HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
        My dinner the night before one of my faster races was 6 tacos and 6 coronas! (god bless taco nite)
          I thought this thread was going to be about drinking while you run. Blush

Young Gun

Hmmm... So the Beer I drank every 10 miles in that 50 Miler I ran back in November was BAD for me?! DAMN! And I thought I was perfectly fine filling a hand held bottle with Stone Cat Ale... but now you tell me I could have died.. MERCY! Or that mini-keg that was at one of the aid stations in my first 100 Miler... that coulda killed me too?! I'm sooo lucky to be alive

www.HumanPotentialRunning.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

I loves me some alcohol, and this holiday season, it pretty much replaced running. However, you should be careful when mixing boozing and running. Downing more than three drinks in a 24-hour period (guilty as charged, with gusto) increases your risk of atrial fibrillation, which is a non-fatal type of heart arrhythmia. And the chances of a-fib go up even more when strenuous exercise is mixed in. Basically, a-fib means that the top two chambers of your heart beat very fast and out of control. The danger is that because blood is not being pumped effectively through the atria, clots can form. A-fib is often as "holiday heart" because it happens to people who normally don't drink much, and then drink excessively around the holidays. Myself, I keep my drinking up all year, so the holidays are no shock to me. It's called good base building. The reason I bring up a-fib is that I've had it happen to me three times. In my case, it was slamming ice-cold liquid during and after runs that caused it. The ice-cold liquid hurtling down my esophagus caused a reflex in a nearby nerve which in turn made my heart beat funny. But the very first time it happened, I had gotten absolutely sh*t-faced the night before (and also had a ton of caffeine, another a-fib trigger). So although it was the ice-cold Gatorade slam that caused it, tequila shots the previous night may have contributed to it. As a result, I don't do anything but very easy running (or none at all) the day after some serious boozing. BTW, the first time it happened, the cardiologist was skeptical that my Gatorade slam had anything to do with it. However, everyone came around when it happened again. So you may ask how I managed to do this to myself a third time despite the previous experiences. I'll sum it up as: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, shame on my parents for birthing and raising such a moron.
              Damn....wish I hadn't read this...I should be dead by now Roll eyes Plus about 100 of others I run and bike with, mostly triathlete buddies. We always laugh at the one's that show up for a run or bike ride hung over, but after 30 minutes or so everything is fine Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Damn....wish I hadn't read this...I should be dead by now Roll eyes Plus about 100 of others I run and bike with, mostly triathlete buddies. We always laugh at the one's that show up for a run or bike ride hung over, but after 30 minutes or so everything is fine Smile
                Just avoid slamming ice-cold liquids and you'll be fine. Alcohol played a minor role, if any, with my problem. I'm just putting it out there b/c alcohol is a known afib trigger. So is 36°F Gatorade apparently. I guess I should also probably never do that crazy polar thing where dumbasses in speedos jump into Lake Michigan in January. If chugging a cold Gatorade makes me fibrillate, I don't even want to think about the lake. Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Young Gun

I got ya again... Last February I did the Penguin Plunge... it was -8 outside and I jumped into the Atlantic Ocean. Brrr Brotha BRRRRRR!!!! Hmm.... and while hiking in the White Mountains of NH all winter long, I've had my gatorade freeze while on Mount Washington.... I'm not quite sure what the heck you're talking about... but chicken little is ringing a might friendly bell. As I've done all that you state NOT to do.. NUMEROUS times and have yet to experience any problems. I like your signature though... isn't it 2008?? Wink

www.HumanPotentialRunning.com

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm not quite sure what the heck you're talking about... but chicken little is ringing a might friendly bell. As I've done all that you state NOT to do.. NUMEROUS times and have yet to experience any problems.
                    Easy there dude. Your mileage may vary. I don't pretend to be the rule -- I realize that I'm an outlier. All I know is that the last 3 times I power-slammed ice cold gatorade/water with an elevated heart rate from running, I needed to go to the hospital to get my heart back in rhythm. The first time, it was cleared up with medication, but the last two required cardioversion (CLEAR!). Alcohol may have played a role the first time, and once it happens once, it gets easier for it to happen again. Trust me, I still drink a lot (proud admin of the Drinkers with a Running Problem Group) and I don't want to sound like I'm telling anyone what to do. I love runing, and I love boozing, so far be it from me to want anyone to curtail either. Just throwing out info from personal experience. And I am damn jealous of those 50 and 100 mile races. Jealous of the mileage, and the beer.
                    I like your signature though... isn't it 2008?
                    Hmm. It is 2008, I've only run once, and I can't seem to shut up. Time to HTFU and get out for a run! Big grin

JakeKnight

However, you should be careful when mixing boozing and running.
                      If you'd gone to a real college, you never would have said that.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If you'd gone to a real college, you never would have said that.
                        Dude, good to have you back. I was starting to feel lonely not getting any Sparty wrath from you, but I realize that kooky requires your attention first and foremost.

JakeKnight

Wink

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

I always run better the day after knocking a few back. ( must be those extra carbs -lol )

- Anya

Life time runner wannabe

I'm wondering how you knew it was happening to you. When my dad had a fib, they found out during a check up for something else; he was completely asymptomatic. So I find myself wondering if I could have it too.
                              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm wondering how you knew it was happening to you. When my dad had a fib, they found out during a check up for something else; he was completely asymptomatic. So I find myself wondering if I could have it too.
                                The first time it happened, it didn't realize it right away. My chest felt a little tight, but I had also been running hard. I ran another mile or so after "The Chug" and felt like I was working harder than I should be for the pace. So I stopped and manually took my pulse (Pre HRM days). My pulse felt like the drum solo at the beginning of Van Halen's "Hot for Teacher" -- it was all over the place. I thought I was gonna die right then and there. After waiting a few minutes with nothing happening, I figured the Grim Reaper thought I was too f'ugly to take, so I walked to a nearby pay-phone and called a friend for a ride. My heart calmed down, but was still beating funny, so I went to the ER. I was only 24 at the time and extremely fit, so it was quite a shock to have to go to the ER for a cardiac issue. Having been through it once, I could tell when it happened the second and third time. Which brings me back to being a moron for doing that to myself two more times after the first incident. It just felt kind of tight and funny (my chest, that is). However, it's not unusual to be totally asymptomatic. Had I not taken my pulse that first time, I might not have noticed, and just attributed the weird feelings to asthma or something.