2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

xhristopher

Double Post.

Don't ask. I don't know why... but I reversed the order.

xhristopher

3:03:32 today at Boston. I ran after 2:58 but could only manage an 8:30 PR in six months, on the Boston course no less. No regrets and I wouldn't change a thing. It just wasn't in the legs today but could have been on another. That's racing.

Keep me on the board for sub 3 in 2011. Getting this close only makes me hungrier. I'm registered for the NYCM but might target something earlier in the fall and keep the NYCM for fun. Therefore, my fall target race is pending till sometime this summer.

Are we there yet?

Can't complain.. but if I could.. I would say.. 1:20:52 @ the half... YOU IDIOT!!!

Ran, Walked, Shuffled, Cursed, Ate my way in for 2:50:41 ... Happy I didn't stop because the Med Tents were looking very vacant and very inviting late. Almost cried.. gave up running marathons 4 times in the final 12K.. now somehow typing this I am thinking about doing Country Music Marathon in 2 weeks. Crazy.

Almost cried.. gave up running marathons 4 times in the final 12K.. now somehow typing this I am thinking about doing ...

I can relate to those feelings. 

Nice  meeting you, ever so briefly, this morning Mike! 

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Can't complain.. but if I could.. I would say.. 1:20:52 @ the half... YOU IDIOT!!!

Ran, Walked, Shuffled, Cursed, Ate my way in for 2:50:41 ... Happy I didn't stop because the Med Tents were looking very vacant and very inviting late. Almost cried.. gave up running marathons 4 times in the final 12K.. now somehow typing this I am thinking about doing Country Music Marathon in 2 weeks. Crazy.

Do It! Do It!

Ya know you wanna.

And besides, I am toying with this sub-3:00 idea and wouldn't mind a pace group leader. There will only be one in your group though.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
            Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Well, ideal conditions but not an ideal day for me. I knew very early that sub 3 wasn't going to happen, probably around 5 or 6 as it wasn't easy to hold 6:50's. Came around the half at 1:31 and decided to PR (sub 3:09), gave up on that one at mile 23 as I was done. Probably no more sub 3 attempts until next year as I'm not running a Fall marathon. Looking forward to the Summer and shorter races.

Are we there yet?

I can relate to those feelings. 

Nice  meeting you, ever so briefly, this morning Mike! 

Likewise BT90.. Good to meet you in Hopkinton.. Sorry I didnt recieve any text or call form Joe to come meet you guys.. We were chatting it up.. Im sure we will cross paths again and this time it will be easier to recognize you.. instead of looking for an avatar. Smile

Kinda feel like super-heroes when you meet .. its like.. Hey Im Mike but really Im ChakaKahn.. just not using my alias.. We are all dressed in plain street clothes. No avatars or capes to hide behind.. 

I'm so impressed. Everybody seemed to have such a great time out there yesterday. Just wanted to wish everybody the best and say good luck into the future.

And we run because we like it
                  Through the broad bright land

No Talent Drips

I had a great day.

Slightly negative split (first time ever) with a first half of 1:27:36 and a second of 1:27:01.  PR by just over 2 minutes and a course record by 7 minutes (or so).

At mile 11, I had a feeling it was going to be a good day when it occured to me that the race was going by quickly...and that I really needed to pay attention to all the little moments because it was all going to be over soon. This is typically the part of a race when I start to think/worry about keeping up pace--and try not to think about how much further I have to run; total mind shift yesterday of relly enjoying each moment and not wanting it to end.

I think I can go faster.

Congrats to everbody...and THANKS to you all for the motivation. RA played a big part in my PR day.

Dei Gratia

2:48 for me.

Was it all a dream?

Congrats on all those impressive Boston finishes!

xhristopher

Is anyone here, aside from me, going for sub 3 from the 6th corral or even further back? I'm not worried about traffic because I bet most of my corral will go out at sub 3 pace, even if they shouldn't.

I feel that I should follow up on my "sub 3 attempt" from the 6th corral since I/we gave it some digital ink here and elsewhere.

What I can say is that, at least in 2011, it  wasn't a problem. I started on the extreme front left and was able to run comfortably down the left side of the road as if there was a passing lane open for me. I didn't zig zag at all and was very fluid and comfortable in the opening miles. It could have gone differently but it didn't.

Below are my 5K splits.

5K splits: 
                          21:00 
                          21:03 
                          21:04 
                          21:08 
                          21:19 
                          22:17 
                          22:31 
                          23:27 
                          9:17 

As should be obvious by the splits, it's a tough course and I could have prepared my quads for the second half better as I was unable to get back to 21 5K pace for the last 10K like I needed to. It had nothing to do with energy. I banked plenty. I'm a lucky bastard to have kept it together. As this settles in I'm not trying to let my sub 3 miss overshadow the fact that this was just my third marathon and a huge PR. On a course like Baystate I think I would have had it. I'll get a chance to show that soon enough.

DoppleBock

xhristopher - Congrats

I have only run Boston once - I found my legs were not prepared for the1st 10-13 miles (Downhill) that left unable to cruise the last 1/2M.

I think a sub 3 will happen very soon - All the pieces are in place

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Envious to all with their great Boston times, wow! Congrats all around.

It lights the fire for me to start thinking sub 3:00 again.

Get off my porch

Here's my splits. This was my 4th consecutive Boston. I've gone from 3:20:27-2:58:42-2:52:33-2:48:41. My mantra in Boston is for the first 16 miles if you feel like you are pushing the pace you are going to fast. It should feel easy and comfortable. You might hit some rough patches, some doubt. Then through the next 5 easy up the hills. Don't push it, but maintain. That stretch from the 2nd to 3rd hill, feel free to open it up a little. Still should hold back. Don't push it yet. You've got a fun hill double coming up. The 3rd hill is short and steep, easy up. Then wait for HB. This one felt worse than last year even though I was about 8 sec/mile faster up it. Then after HB, bring it on home. I didn't do this as well as I'd like. I wish that 20:12 last 5k was more like 19:30-19:40. Oh well.... I positive split by 1:41.

5k splits:

5K: 19:55 (6:24.23/mile) - 19:55 (6:24.63/mile)
                                10k: 19:49 (6:22.70/mile) - 39:44 (6:23.67/mile)
                                15k: 19:39 (6:19.48/mile) - 59:23 (6:22.27/mile)
                                20k: 19:50 (6:23.02/mile) - 1:19:13 (6:22.46/mile)
                                25k: 19:47 (6:22.06/mile) - 1:39:00 (6:22.38/mile)
                                30k: 20:12 (6:30.10/mile) - 1:59:12 (6:23.67/mile)
                                35k: 20:31 (6:36.22/mile) - 2:19:43 (6:25.46/mile)
                                40k: 20:12 (6:30.10/mile) - 2:39:55 (6:26.04/mile)
                                42.195k: 8:46 (6:25.66/mile) - 2:48:41 (6:26.02/mile)