2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

gilbertlemieux

Congrats Bostoners, looks like the race was successful for a lot of you, and fun.

In non-sub-3:00 news, I'm running Big Sur in a couple weeks -- anyone else on this thread running?  It would be nice to have a mini-RA meet up. They had to reroute the course this year so we'll be skipping Hurricane Point, but I still know I won't be going sub-3:00.  I think a PR should be doable though (given it's currently a 3:30 from Lake Tahoe).

Any Big Sur veterans with thoughts/recommendations on the second half of the course?  We're running an out-and-back over the second part of the normal course this year.  Thanks, as always, for any advice.

lynnhoj

Goal - accomplished. 2:55:29

my 5K splits:

21:00

20:29

21:22

20:36

20:56

21:35

21:01

20:34

8:06 <= 5:54/mile pace

Other than sore quads, Boston was a decent race. Spectators were great. Good weather. 

I didn't feel like playing frogger for 26.2 miles so I went with the flow for most of the race. 

Didn't feel that tailwind until the runners thinned out near the end and I was able to let loose the hounds.

Great to put faces to the screen names at the pub afterwards. 

I wish Boston had sortable results for each 5k. You probably passed a boatload of people that last 2195 meters. 

Goal - accomplished. 2:55:29

my 5K splits:

21:00

20:29

21:22

20:36

20:56

21:35

21:01

20:34

8:06 <= 5:54/mile pace

Other than sore quads, Boston was a decent race. Spectators were great. Good weather. 

I didn't feel like playing frogger for 26.2 miles so I went with the flow for most of the race. 

Didn't feel that tailwind until the runners thinned out near the end and I was able to let loose the hounds.

Great to put faces to the screen names at the pub afterwards. 

kcam

I wish Boston had sortable results for each 5k. You probably passed a boatload of people that last 2195 meters. 

Does any race have this?  It seems like it would be so easy to do if you have the mats already in place.  The 3rd marathon I ran was Silicon Valley in '96.  They allowed you to see your overall place, AG place, gender place at each 5K mat.  That was the only time they provided that type of data sorting capability.  Way cool - never seen another race that has done this, though I haven't run lots of different courses.

I know chicago does. At least any race that uses active.com does..

Those are some impressive 5k splits there.

Wish I had 5k splits. My timing device never registered but the BAA finally posted my result.

Finished 2:56:38 with splits of 1:27:20/1:29:18  (positive split of 1:58)

Wish I had a better last three miles but in the greater picture I can't complain about the day.

More details in log entry for Monday

i think they had a bunch of timing problems with the Bibs. i went from 488th to 496th in a couple of hours. I wonder if they will stick with the bib timing. It seems to be all the rage....

bhearn

i think they had a bunch of timing problems with the Bibs. i went from 488th to 496th in a couple of hours. I wonder if they will stick with the bib timing. It seems to be all the rage....

Huh. The paper the next morning had me at 1319, and the results page still does.

My 5K splits:

21:25

21:06

21:15

21:30

21:15

21:33

21:14

20:25

last 2.195K: 8:58 = 6:34 pace (huh, felt faster)

(= 2:58:41)

My plan was to try to break 3 again at Boston, and if I could, go for 2:55 somewhere this fall. I didn't expect to break 2:59. But there was that tailwind.

In retrospect I think I could have paced faster and had a bigger PR. I worked a lot harder for 2:59:38 in '09 than I did this year. But I paced honestly based on my tune-up races -- actually aggressively, except that I have confidence on the Boston course -- until I crested Heartbreak; then I opened it up and gained about 0:10 per mile on my pace band, which was already back loaded with a fast last 5 miles for a negative split.

But I have to say I would do it the same way again. It wouldn't have been smart to pace for much more off a 38:55 10K.

I am tempted to try for another sub-3 somewhere on May 1. Eugene would be best, but Vancouver is a lot more convenient, given that I live here. I'll have to see how recovery goes this week.

Oh, yeah -- 5th consecutive negative split at Boston. Big grin

xhristopher

Oh, yeah -- 5th consecutive negative split at Boston. Big grin

Nice seeing you on the course (hope I didn't bug you too much) and to seeing you get this comfortably. When I came up from behind in Wellesley I knew it was you by the frequency in which you checked your Garmin. No joke. You are a pacing machine.

Congrats to all the sub 3 graduates over the weekend/Monday, and to those of you who didn't, consider Boston your training run and go kill it in 4-6 weeks.

Screenname1 - welcome back!  Nice PR, and should we assume you are going for a 2:45 this fall?

bhearn

Nice seeing you on the course (hope I didn't bug you too much) and to seeing you get this comfortably. When I came up from behind in Wellesley I knew it was you by the frequency in which you checked your Garmin. No joke. You are a pacing machine.

Ummm. I guess I am a bit pathological there. I just do what seems like common sense to me. At least in a goal race! Sad thing is it's usually the same when I'm running a marathon for fun. I do need to lighten up.

Anyway, it was great to see you on the course too. And congrats on your big PR. It's no joke doing that at your first Boston.

bhearn - i checked my place a couple of hours after the race online. I was in 488th. Next day I was 496th.

I am running New York this fall. I don't think I will improve enough to run sub-2:45 there. New York is much harder than Boston in my opinion. I think I might shoot for 2:46 there. Then try for 2:44 in Houston and/or Boston... For all its worth I mainly want to keep the sub-3 streak going, right now its at 6.

This summer I want to get my 5k-10k times in line with my marathon time. So 17:30 5k, 36:30 10k, etc....

Congrats to all the sub 3 graduates over the weekend/Monday, and to those of you who didn't, consider Boston your training run and go kill it in 4-6 weeks.

Screenname1 - welcome back!  Nice PR, and should we assume you are going for a 2:45 this fall?

bhearn

In non-sub-3:00 news, I'm running Big Sur in a couple weeks -- anyone else on this thread running?  It would be nice to have a mini-RA meet up. They had to reroute the course this year so we'll be skipping Hurricane Point, but I still know I won't be going sub-3:00.  I think a PR should be doable though (given it's currently a 3:30 from Lake Tahoe).

Any Big Sur veterans with thoughts/recommendations on the second half of the course?  We're running an out-and-back over the second part of the normal course this year.  Thanks, as always, for any advice.

I'm not running this year, but ran it the past two years. The second half? In a word: hilly.

duckgeek

I had a great day.

I think I can go faster.

Congrats to everbody...and THANKS to you all for the motivation. RA played a big part in my PR day.

Nice job out there, bus-mate!  Congrats on a shiny new PR.

xor

duckgeek!