maximimize performance for a 5k Saturday (Read 165 times)

I've had such great responses to my previous polls, I thought I'd serve this one up. To preface, I normally wouldn't care all that much about any random 5k, but this one has some real bragging rights on the line even though I just decided to run it today, and I haven't done anything close to speed work in months as I've been following Mikey's program of weekly hill work. So my training since May has been daily runs of 8-11 miles easy, hill repeats on Tuesday or Wednesday and a longer run on Sundays. So the usual this week would be hills tomorrow, with 9-11 miles on the other days.

Feeling the growl again

I voted, but you forgot choice D, "I should have asked this question several weeks ago".

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

some call me Tim

As they say, hill work is speedwork without the pounding, so possibly you're better than you expect. Still, it doesn't work on your turnover. I say throw in some strides or some fast intervals with full recovery just to get your legs moving.  Any other speedwork is not gonna help at this point anyway. Good luck!

I don't know crap about training, but since you asked, I'd suggest a minimal speed session to remind yourself what your 5k pace feels like.  Not a full workout - maybe 4-5 400s, or a couple 800s, something like that.  Just enough to remember what running fast feels like.

joescott

None of the above.  No days off.  Light speed tomorrow.  Easy days Thursday and Friday.  Friday with half a dozen or so brief pickups/strides sprinkled in the end of the run.  YMMV quite literally, so no need to be locked into the "4-6 miles" choice.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

jpdeaux

None of the above.  No days off.  Light speed tomorrow.  Easy days Thursday and Friday.  Friday with half a dozen or so brief pickups/strides sprinkled in the end of the run.  YMMV quite literally, so no need to be locked into the "4-6 miles" choice.

Yeah, this. And do a thorough warmup in the hour before the start, including 4-6 strides/pickups to wake up your legs within 10 minutes or so of the start time.

Then go out fast and don't slow down.

Goorun

This. Who takes days off for 5k?

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Goorun

Yeah, this. And do a thorough warmup in the hour before the start, including 4-6 strides/pickups to wake up your legs within 10 minutes or so of the start time.

Then go out fast and don't slow down.

And this too. Exactly.

I ran hundreds of races on track (and a lot on roads too) and strides just before the start is must.

For 5000 on track I started an hour before the race with 10-15 minutes warm up jog, set of stretches, strides.

When on the track, everybody has own routine. Mine included light self massage, warm up legs, light stretches and a few strides, just before the start, at a pace a little bit faster than the race pace.

Not me normally, but I'm coming up on a 20 day streak and  probably due for a day off.

FTFY

Option E.. Run workouts and train in weeks prior to the race.

And we run because we like it
                        Through the broad bright land

Goorun

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

And this too. Exactly.

I ran hundreds of races on track (and a lot on roads too) and strides just before the start is must.

For 5000 on track I started an hour before the race with 10-15 minutes warm up jog, set of stretches, strides.

When on the track, everybody has own routine. Mine included light self massage, warm up legs, light stretches and a few strides, just before the start, at a pace a little bit faster than the race pace.

Have you changed your warmup pattern in any significant way since you've become.. um... less young?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

mikeymike

Yep.

Runners run

Goorun

Have you changed your warmup pattern in any significant way since you've become.. um... less young?

For one I don't race 5k/5000 meters anymore, (I ran sub 18 solo on track as part of my training last year), but I still do warm up jog even before a marathon (about 2 miles) and strides. I don't like being sluggish at start. Of course everything is much slower now. I used to be able to hold sub 5 mpm for 10 miles, now I could not run one mile at that pace, I probably could not run one mile at my marathon PR pace (5:16 mpm)

Yea, being...um...less young sucks.