Do you run in the dark? (Read 404 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Dislike running with a headlamp. Will on occasion run with a handheld if it's really dark, but for the most part my eyes get use to the dark.

Me too...I generally only turn the handheld on when I hear a car coming, for better visibility.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

TripleBock

I am not a vampire - But running in the dark ... I do not give a second thought to it.   I run technical trail all alone for miles and miles after dark.  I run in the city, in the country on the rail trail on the sidewalk etc after dark.  Depending on the situation, I will wear a headlamp, but not always.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

TripleBock

The great thing about running in the dark - You feel fast and free

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

I don't mind the headlamp, but I always wear it over a ball cap so I can't really feel the straps.  It would drive me nuts directly on my forehead.

I also usually run with a headlamp over a ballcap.  But, the reason I like the ballcap is to create a light line a few feet in front of my feet.  It allows me to focus further up the road.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

The great thing about running in the dark - You feel fast and free

I log most of my miles in the predawn hours along country roads.  But there is nothing that energizes me more than feeling the sun come up in the middle of a weekend long run.  I swear I find a different gear once the sun comes up.  Maybe there's something to that Circadian rhythm mumbo jumbo.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I run at 8 am, plus or minus.  I've tried running in the dark, but I always feel like I'm going to trip on something.

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

Almost always! Weekends I get to run during the day, unless I'm doing doubles, then at least one of the runs will be in the dark.

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~

obiebyke

I wish I didn't have to, but now that I'm committed to running outside year round and DST has hit, tonight is the first one. I hope the head/taillamp I ordered from Amazon is waiting for me when I get home, or I'm going to be taking a bit of a risk out there tonight.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Joey Hynes

(Hoey Jynes)

I dont mind it. I once ran at night during christmas time and it was really cool having the route lit by all the lights. I also enjoy high school morning workouts.

Why is it sideways?

I love night running, never got the whole headlamp thing. I can see as well at night as during the day for the purposes of running.

I took up occasional headlamp in the dark running last year. The traffic slows  down on the road I run on about 7:30 or 8 PM- I like it- if there is a moon or enough starlight I turn the headlamp off. Also have a bike red flasher on the back of the headband. I'll probably be out more now with the time change.

Arimathea

Tessa

I run in the dark all year round, even on summer solstice I'm back before the sun comes up.

I enjoy starting a run in the dark and watching the world lighten to day around me. Not so much a fan of starting in daylight and finishing after dark.

And I take precautions: reflective gear, no headphones, run against traffic, stick to well lit roads, all that.

npaden

I love night running, never got the whole headlamp thing. I can see as well at night as during the day for the purposes of running.

I guess you live in a city or town.  I think you would get the whole headlight thing if you lived miles from the nearest street light.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Latent Runner

What npaden said, I just finished my nightly 10-miler, and other than a few car headlights at the half dozen road crossings, were it not for my headlight I wouldn't have even been able to see my hands much less my feet and the rocky and leaf strewn trail below them.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                              • 2-mile: 13:49
                              • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                              • 5-Mile: 37:24
                              • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                              • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                              • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Why is it sideways?

I guess you live in a city or town.  I think you would get the whole headlight thing if you lived miles from the nearest street light.

I live in Nashville, but I grew up in a rural place. I think I have good vision and a healthy dose of natural confidence.