Yes, run more, run easy. (Read 1392 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Sometimes I just do the runs on my bike.

Now this is genius; making cross-training work for you.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

slopez - ride your bike to cougar mountain....it can't be more than 20 miles away, all on bike paths.  Bonus cross-training.  Bring a pizza along.

still mad at me?

When I used to run 10 hours a week - I thought about all the people commuting to their jobs 10 hours a week.  From that point of view it didn't seem excessive at all.  And I still felt if I ran more I would get a lot better.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

ad hominem.

That is a meaningless argument.  Jeff, who you cite a couple posts later, could spend 5 years running no miles and drinking root beer floats every couple hours and he would still smoke either of us at any race, even if we put in 3000 miles per year in that time.  .

This is exactly my point.  Thankyou for finally coming around to my way of thinking.  But I wasn't quite going as extreme as running no miles but it is a theory to look in to I guess Big grin  If it works I could adopt!  The naturally talented can get away with slacking and we can hate them all for it. Used to be like that in maths class too.

My damn kids teacher casually says to me the other day he might come down to our kids club 5km run and try to beat the standing record of 15:26.  Here is me trying to get under 20:00.  Makes you cry!

Good thread, blew a few cobwebs out of the forum at least

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
        Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

The research does not support this assertion.  In fact, the research shows the opposite.  Anecdote ≠ data.  Interestingly, a lack of exercise does take its toll on the average person long term. We must be be looking at different senior games and older runners, because that is certainly not my experience.

Yip, aware of this and my niggles seem to have decreased as I have been running more too.

However, at that prize giving it was very striking to see that (especially the men for some reason) seemed to have some serious issues even walking freely!!  No idea how many miles they have done over the years and in what form but it was an eye opener...in fact a bit scary!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
          Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

I hate you.  Nothing personal.

So you're saying there's a chance...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
            xhristopher

Sometimes it feels that way...current 5k goal is to best my 5k pr from 10 years ago (18:36). Ran 18:57 last Thursday, so getting there.

Don't tell me you sit at a desk all day. I'm guessing there is another physical component to your lifestyle. You know, cross training is all the rage nowadays.

xor

slopez - ride your bike to cougar mountain....

My bike?

What's a bike?

(I have not owned a bike since 1992.  True story... while undergoing chemo, someone stole my at-the-time nice bike off my front porch.  They even knocked on my door first to see if I was home and I was too pooped to answer.)

xor

That may be, however I see that you missed on the Sha-Poopie.

Oh no no.  The Poop Scooter is wholly different.

I had a dream last night.

At some point during the dream, I was waiting in line to use a potty.  But the potty was, well, different.  It involved a bike or scooter-type object with a bowl for a seat.  You scooted into a room kind of like a dressing room (or stall in the middle of a normal store... including the whole "door doesn't go down to the ground"), do your business, and then scoot it on out.

The dream transitioned to something different before I learned who was responsible for dealing with the bowl.

Anyway, when I woke up, I thought back on my dreams like we always do.

"Holy shit, " I said, "that was the POOP SCOOTER!"

...and I immediately texted someone about it.

(I am far too familiar with the little "roll it next to the bed" seat/bowl things in hospitals and sitz baths.  I spent a lot of time at the hospital this week, and I'm assuming my drug addled brain was just playing on that.  But it was a scooter!  A poop scooter!)

Don't tell me you sit at a desk all day. I'm guessing there is another physical component to your lifestyle. You know, cross training is all the rage nowadays.

Since you asked nicely, I won't tell you that. It's more of a "workstation".

Does beer count as a physical component? I make frequent trips to the basement refrigerator. Mowing the lawn? Coaching 5 year old soccer? I'm a friggen Reebok commercial with all this cross-training.

xhristopher

Since you asked nicely, I won't tell you that. It's more of a "workstation".

Does beer count as a physical component? I make frequent trips to the basement refrigerator. Mowing the lawn? Coaching 5 year old soccer? I'm a friggen Reebok commercial with all this cross-training.

If I worked as a soccer ref I'd probably be wearing the garmin and logging the miles. Probably the same is true for a coach.

ride your bike to cougar mountain.

What is this "cougar mountain" you speak of?

If I worked as a soccer ref I'd probably be wearing the garmin and logging the miles. Probably the same is true for a coach.

This fellow is a soccer coach.

xor

What is this "cougar mountain" you speak of?

Just to the east of Seattle are the cascade mountains.  But between the city and these mountains are other small mountains.  Three of these (Cougar, Squak, and Tiger) make up what is/are collectively known as the "Issaquah Alps". Issaquah is the town at the base of all three.  Some of the eastside suburbs have encroached up the side of Cougar, alas.

There's all kinds of history to Cougar... including an airstrip and old anti-aircraft batteries.

Today, people jump off the side of Tiger and paraglide.  Specifically from "Poo Poo Point".

The author of this post recently got lost for an hour at M1 of a 50k on Squak.

This fellow is a soccer coach.

This man clearly likes him some Notorious B.I.G. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Why is it sideways?

La mano de dios: