Multiple GPS for ultras (Read 815 times)

Get Lost :)

Hey all:

A friend of mine is a ~30 hour 100 miler, and since there are no running GPS units that last that long, she wears her first Garmin 305 on her wrist and keeps another 305 in a drop bag roughly halfway through the race. Does anyone else do this during a 100? 

I guess the sweet spot will be a GPS that truly lasts 24 hours. I think the 310xt is supposed to be a 20 hour watch. Mine lasted for a full 17 hours straight, so I was pretty pleased with that. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I borrowed a buddy's 405 and it conked out at 6 hours.  My 305 seems to go on longer.
      Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Even if the battery lasts 12 hours, the Forerunner doesn't have enough memory to store every bit of detail.  The truncation of data starts at around 4 hours, I believe.

Even if the battery lasts 12 hours, the Forerunner doesn't have enough memory to store every bit of detail.  The truncation of data starts at around 4 hours, I believe.

I'm not sure how correct this is, but I know that all my HR, pace, and GPS data were fine for all my runs, irrespective of length. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I borrowed a buddy's 405 and it conked out at 6 hours.  My 305 seems to go on longer.

My 405 started "low battery" around 6.5 hrs (abt as I finished). And it's advertised for 10 hrs. Drat -- but just lucked out there. Or I wouldn't have had a finishing time to record at all -- thinking I should take a regular watch in a pocket for a backup finishing time in the future.

No problems losing detail though. That might depend on some setting somewhere in the menu for granularity of data points (think I might have seen mention of that somewhere in the past).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Menace to Sobriety

Most GPSs will let you reduce the update frequency. Reducing the the update rate should increase battery life, but I don't thing you're going to get 30 hours out of it.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Heh... I've been pondering the same question. Even for a 50-miler, I think the 305 would be taxed. So, to get a 310xt too?

I dunno. I'm thinking about doing it the semi-old-fashioned way - with a watch (albeit an Ironman) and a list of project aid station times.

Liz

pace sera, sera

There are different limits:
                  • battery life, my FR305 lasts for about 8 hours
                    If you want to make life longer maybe try some USB loader which can load from batteries. Not a nice solution because you have to run/bike with the craddle, a couple of batteries, and the loader. But it is cheaper than buy a second 305 or a new 310.
                  • # of laps, i've read there is a 1000 laps bug which stops the FR305 from recording, so check first the number of laps on the watch;
                  • memory full, offcourse time when happens depends on the recording mode and the recorded data. For long distance use smart recording instead of 1 second recording and switch your foodpot/cadence unit off.
                    At 1 second it can record for about 3,5 hours according to the manual. Infact it can record more, but the last hours of your activity will be present as it overwrites the older data.
                    The exact time for your watch is easily found by set it on 1 second, have a gps fix, place it in your garden or so hit the startbutton and let it there for 4 or more hours and press stop, hold the lapbutton and upload the "activity". If you can see in detail by looking in the tcx file, you can figure out for how long it records detailled data. I once did a test, and for what i remember it is about 3h45min. It also gives you a hint about the number of datapoints after when the memory is full.
                    So although smart recording is "smart" it also records datapoints at a certain number of seconds so if you can figure out the time factor you almost know in front when your watch has a full memory.
                    If you run near/into a full memory, you can try to save the activity to a course after first press stop and reset. Never done this, but it should save at least the GPS info. Then start a new activity. As far as i know memory for courses and history are separated, but both are limited. I don't know the size as i never have to use it. The new activity will delete detailled data from the older activity. In this case that is the one you just saved as a course. So at the end you have one course and one activity which both can be uploaded to garmin training center. At least the course file has to be converted to tcx to upload it here. Also never done that part of the story so maybe Eric has made some fancy upload thing which also can upload courses.

And...

succes with the 100 miler

Aaron Heath

I believe that some of the newer Garmins have a better battery life. The 310XT is supposed to last for around 20 hours. I haven't tried it though.
                    xor

I believe that some of the newer Garmins have a better battery life. The 310XT is supposed to last for around 20 hours. I haven't tried it though.

yes, this was mentioned in the original post.  Mine lasts about 15ish hours.

Buy a Polar.  It works perfectly without ANY work-arounds.  My RS800CX lasts 30 hours on a single Lithium AA battery.  If it dies during the race, you swap out the battery and go on... it picks up right where it left off (the watch is separate from the GPS, so the watch keeps on recording while you swap batteries, then the GPS starts transmitting data points again, and you're good to go).

I LOVE mine.  I've had it a little over a year, about 2600 miles, and haven't had a single issue.  It's *so* much better than the Garmin ForeRunners.

It also doesn't truncate the data like the Garmin.  You set the recording interval (1, 2, 5, 15, 60 sec) and you can get up to 100 hours of data.  15sec recording intervals will get me through any 100 miler.

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/running_multisport/RS800CX_MULTI

Menace to Sobriety

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Would a solar USB charger work?

http://tinyurl.com/y8anet5

Heh. I've actually considered rigging a system that puts the solar panel on my friggin' hydration pack and plugs into the dumb watch. It was a fleeting thought, but it rattled around in there for more than a few seconds. Yes, that's how addicted to my Garmin I am. I'm not wanderlost for no reason. 

My 405 started "low battery" around 6.5 hrs (abt as I finished).

Mine craps out at about 6.5 too.

~Sara
                              It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan