Do you Do This? (Read 1037 times)

Best Present Ever

Do you have eyes in the back of your head? The danger isn't so much from cars coming in front of you as those approaching from behind.
    only if they are driving in the wrong lane. And there are very few cars, I hear as well as see them. Since I sometimes have trouble telling if a car is approaching from the front or the back when it's at a distance, I move to the side as soon as I hear anything in any case.
    JimR

I'm currently dead and awaiting revival
        @Jayvil, Were your IT Band issues with the left, right or both? Thx.
          If you get run down from behind, any injuries resulting from cambered roads become somewhat insignificant. Try changing your route to less cambered roads or run well down on the shoulder where it's flatter. Tom
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

If you get run down from behind, any injuries resulting from cambered roads become somewhat insignificant. Try changing your route to less cambered roads or run well down on the shoulder where it's flatter. Tom
            A young man discovered that in my town a few months ago. He was scheduled to leave for Iraq the next day. The Army kindly let him recover for a few days before they shipped him off. He was running in the dark (6 am), on the wrong side of the road. Sigh. They never caught the hit-and-run driver.
              Sorry for getting technical, but I'm an engineer and I used to build roads for a living. Typically, the side slope of the shoulder is designed to be greater than the side slope of the road (in MI, 4% vs. 2%). I realize that design does not always mimic reality. How wide is your "track" when you run? By that I mean, if you were to draw a line through all of your right foot-falls and another line through all of your left foot-falls, what would the distance between the two lines be? I ran a short distance on the beach recently and I would say that my track is about a foot wide. On a road with a 2% crown, the elevation difference between where one foot hits and the other hits is less than a quarter-inch. I'm not a medical expert, or a running expert, but I don't think that little bit of difference is going to cause a problem.
              Matt

2010 Races:
              March: Irish Jig 5K - 24:31 (new PR)
              May: 5/3 Riverbank Run 25K - 2:34:12 (new PR)
              June: Brian Diemer Amerikam 5K - 23:39 (new PR)
              June: Reeds Lake Run 5K - 24:48 (this race has kicked my butt two years running)
              September: 2010 Mackinac Bridge Run - 36:59
              September: Park2Park Half Marathon - 1:57:26 (new PR)
              runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I run toward traffic. A third of the way from the curb on two lane roads. I carry a light attached to my palm(head lamp) or flashers. As cars approach I move towards the curb. It has worked well for 20+ years. If the Grim Reaper comers I plan to let him know a can not go because I am my training phase.Cool

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

thanks everyone. at least i'm not crazy and it appears that there can be a happy medium without definite death.

jfa

I'll go along with Figbash and add that I seek out running routes where there is no camber, and few cars. As far as I know, I haven''t been killed yet (although some co-workers and family members would argue that)

You can always do it how I like to... I often run in the middle of night so that I can run right smack in the middle of local residential streets. It is so quiet and dark and I will see/hear the very few cars that I do encounter with plenty of time to spare to get out of the way.
                      bahill

The only roads I run on are quiet, residential ones or roads with a sidewalk. Treadmills are a last resort, followed by the track. I have a whole arsenal of trails to keep me happy. I've had IT band problems due to over-training and consistently running on one side of the road. While the latter may not have caused it alone, it was definitely a factor, since I only have ITB problems on one side. I've heard many similar stories (though it is all anecdotal evidence in the end). b
                          Sorry for getting technical, but I'm an engineer and I used to build roads for a living. Typically, the side slope of the shoulder is designed to be greater than the side slope of the road (in MI, 4% vs. 2%). I realize that design does not always mimic reality.
                          If the shoulders aren't well maintained (like they aren't around here) they wash out at the bottom and end up pretty flat. I run there a lot. IT issues are a big issue for us road runners and it doesn't take much slope to cause problems. Tom
                            I'm currently dead and awaiting revival
                            Funny you should say this... Every time I am on a late night run and I hear a siren I have this strange delusion. I have this fear that they are coming for me. I must have left my body a few blocks back and it is just my spirit running. Very strange indeed.
                              Hmm, usually run on trails. Sometimes I have to negotiate a few blocks of gravel road to get to a trail. I generally run that one down the center. Cars are really easy to hear, and if it's during the day, they're mostly at work. In winter I may run on relatively flat road (longitudinally), but the snowplows can't get the snow in the gutter area, so it's nice and flat - just wide enough to run on. I run on the side by the abandoned railroad tracks - both directions (about 700m) - since there's no intersections on that side and I'm all the way at edge of non-separated bike lane -not that anyone can see the bike lane lines in winter. The camber on the road is probably greater than 5%. (Trails use 5% outslope for drainage.) Our separated bike path has some right angle turns that cars can't always negotiate in ice - and go sliding off either into the bike path or into the ditch between the two (depending where it happens). I'll use one of the main roads to winter playgrounds in the mountains - on week days after the snow is degenerating even in the mountains = reduced traffic. Some places there's no shoulder. On the gentler sections of the road, the outslope even on the gravel area is waaay more than 5%. On the main part of the hill (about 8% climb), most of the shoulders are much kinder to runners since they're a little flatter since drainage can occur down the road. Then there's the broken shoulders. I generally run on the left side of the road except on a blind corner with no real shoulder, esp. when the snow is deep, then I stay on the outside of the curve. Did I mention the road that DOT built a few years ago that had such steep shoulders (or none, don't remember for sure) that school buses refused to drive on it. When I first moved here almost 29 yr ago, the town only had about 1 mi of paved road, and now has very little that isn't paved (I'm lucky enough to be on gravel /dirt still). The sidewalks are cambered sufficiently that when walking on ice, the people drain into the gutter and road traffic - whereas if you walk in road, you drain away from traffic. Where driveways cross the sidewalks, the camber is even steeper. The engineers have since figured out that's not a good design. Plus the intersections are so close, one's always having to go up and down curbs / ramps. In the main part of town, people tend to use the sidewalks, but in the residential areas, people tend to use the road even when a sidewalk is present. You see why I run trails. Much safer.Smile
                              "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Best Present Ever

If the shoulders aren't well maintained (like they aren't around here) they wash out at the bottom and end up pretty flat. I run there a lot. IT issues are a big issue for us road runners and it doesn't take much slope to cause problems. Tom
                                For me the slope of the shoulders isn't an issue, because the roads don't really have any. The white line marking the edge of the road has about one shoe-width's of asphalt beyond it, and then the side of the road is a bit of gravel, grass, and a ditch. Often beyond the ditch is either a short slope up and/or a barbed wire fence. I can jump off to the side in the rare cases where two cars are passing at the same time, and they can't move over to leave me room, but I certainly can't run on the shoulders. I run like Runnerclay. in the middle of the road, with headlamp, flashers behind me, and a reflective harness, running toward traffic. moving to the side as needed.