First post - if you like running and beer this race is for you! (Read 473 times)

JakeZ

Hi all, I tend to do an awful lot more lurking than posting, but this was such a different race that I felt compelled to post. Prior to this the only thing I've had to do with anyone on RA was meeting Ennay at the Hag Lake race in Oregon, so here goes: http://www.baevents.com/bigmanrun/ The premise of the race is that you are supposed to be 190 lbs or more to run it. They let a few "skinnies" but at 6' and 197 lbs I felt pretty small. The weight classes go up to 300+ lbs and there were 3 people in that class. Your weight and marital status were announced in the bar with a bullhorn, and it was pretty packed with runners and drinkers having fun. Along the roughly 5 mile course you need to stop at three aid stations and drink a beer and eat a hot dog before you continue. If you puke or fail to tip the waitresses you are disqualified. Looking at the times I thought I would finish in the top 20 or 30, but apparently I'm a damn slow eater. The first mile or so was up a big hill, and the first beer and hot dog weren't awful. I like beer, I sometimes like hot dogs - I thought I'd speed up after the bar and do pretty well. I reached the second bar fairly soon, and it was a bit harder to eat my hotdog but the beer went down OK. The problem was when I tried to run to the 3rd bar. My stomach hurt, and I had to slow way down. I passed one of the 300 lb guys quickly, but by the time I got into the 3rd bar and slowly choked down the lukewarm hotdog while occcasionally gagging, the huge guy was in then out. At this point I saw a lot of people walking and I was pretty tempted to join them. I finally finished while sitting down with the other sick guys, and started to speed up and pass people. I gagged again, and almost lost it in front of a volunteer - I had to choke the food back down so I didn't get DQ'd. After passing a few more people I was able to stagger to the finish in about 56 minutes to come in 75th out of 300 with an average pace of about 10:51. I don't want to eat another hot dog for quite a while, and while I thought Harpoon was a decent beer, it isn't one I'd want to drink right now. It was definitely fun to do once, but I think I'll have to do some beer drinking training for next year.
      Funny stuff. Sounds like the Krispy Kreme challenge here in Raleigh, NC. Run 2 miles - eat a dozen glazed doughnuts (totaling 2,400 calories and 144 grams of fat) and then run back 2 miles. Dude that won 2 years ago did it in 24 minutes. That is rolling! www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3ZbrpH4e9k Kevin
      Don't let the fat fool you .....
      casualrunner

I've always held the winners of the Krispie Kreme Challenge in great regard. I get sick if I eat a sandwich an hour before running, I'm quite certain I couldn't eat more than a couple of donuts if I had to run afterwards. The top finishers in the challenge clock in at just over a half hour. That means that even if you ran 5 minute miles, you still ate about a donut a minute.
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Very entertaining race review -- sounds like a pretty tough contest (all that hot dog eating in the middle of the race).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I run for Fried Chicken!

Wow, that sounds like my kind of race, too bad I'm under the weight limit. Last week, I went for a 4 mile run after 4 beers, a shot and chicken wings! Week before that, I had 2 beers, 2 slices of pizza and then went for a run right after. Felt great, just a little bit gassy during the run. Burp. Big grin