Hypothetical maximum - what do you think? (Read 1351 times)

A Saucy Wench

This is a totally pointless topic with no real answer, just random thinking! I remember a few years ago seeing a fitness chart and that to be "excellent cardiovascular fitness" for my age I had to do the 1.5m run in I think it was 8mm, and then there is the marine chart that top mark would be 3 miles at 7mm At the time I remember thinking "no fair, I can't run 8 mm for 1.5 even if I was super fit, I am just not genetically a runner" Roll eyes OK, so I guess if I lose weight and train hard I can. Blush I could even see me breaking 7 for 1.5 someday. And if I had started in my teens or 20's who knows? But what is my stocky slow twitch limit? So the question is....what do you think is the fastest pace that ANYONE could reach if they just trained hard enough and started early enough. What is that threshold between working hard, and working hard PLUS talent.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Saw a 5000m race on ESPN this weekend. Guy from Ethopia had a PR of 13:01 and the guy from Kenya had PR of 13:01 as well. The announcer put it in perspective for me...it is like running a 4:12 mm pace for 3 miles and then having a nice strong kick at the end. Those guys over there grow up in running schools and both were around 21 yrs old. Also, made the comment that the reason they run is simple...$200 a month is well above the medium income over there. They can run a semi big race (5k,10k,marathon) and win anywhere from $1,000 to $50,000 and return home wealthy by their nations standards.
      2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
        I probably have a minority viewpoint here but I think talent matters very little in running. If you outwork the competition you'll win.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

meaghansketch

So the question is....what do you think is the fastest pace that ANYONE could reach if they just trained hard enough and started early enough. What is that threshold between working hard, and working hard PLUS talent.
          I think that is pretty much an impossible question to answer... Mainly because talent/genetic advantage/whatever you want to call it isn't something you have or don't have, but a continuum... Nearly every athlete has advantages and disadvantages that help and hinder them. Could anyone run an 8-minute mile? I don't think you could even make a statement like 'with the right training, anyone could run a 12-minute mile' because it leaves out the people who just can't run because of disability or whatnot. Then there are the people who could run that fast if they trained hard enough, but the training to get to that pace is too much for their bodies to handle without getting injured. If you can't run an 8mm on 25 miles per week, but are pretty sure you could if you ran 50 mpw, but you start getting injured if you run over 40 mpw, then you will probably never hit that pace. I think each of us individually has limits to what we will acheive because of genetics/talent/whatever, but that there is no way to know them until we train to acheive our unknown fullest potential. But there is no way to say that there is any pace that, regardless of talent, all of us could hit.
          mikeymike

I probably have a minority viewpoint here but I think talent matters very little in running. If you outwork the competition you'll win.
            This is pretty close to how I feel about talent. Sure natural running talent matters quite a bit at the very top end of the sport where just about everybody is working close to as hard as they possibly can. But at the level of 99.9% of RA'ers, it's not a major factor. The difference between the fast and the slow has much more to do with priorities than talent.

Runners run

IMO, For two runners of equal talent, the one who works harder and smarter will prevail. For two runners who work equally hard and smart, the one will more natural talent will prevail. Yes, you can overcome a talent deficit with better training than a more talented opponent. Yes, you can squander a talent edge by not training as well as a less talented opponent. And just because you are not at the elite elite level, it doesn't meen you can't squander your talents.
              Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

Why is it sideways?

I'm a talented runner, I'll admit it. My great talent? I've got some speed. A good heart. Two legs. But the talent most closely related to whatever success I've happened across is my ability to find the joy in running. It ain't about hard work, it's about the love. I'm lucky to have it; not everyone does.
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's what I've been telling DS15, but right now it's hard for him to believe. He has trained hard for 2 1/2 years and does quite well. All of a sudden, though, there's another sophomore at a rival school who JUST started running this season, and ran his SECOND two-mile race (3200 m to be exact) ever in 9:55. DS's time was 9:57, a PR by 6 seconds. The same boy ran his FIRST mile race (1600 m) in 4:29!! DS's time this past week was 4:35 (another PR by 6 seconds). I just tell DS to keep up the hard work, because it will pay off in the long run. The other boy is going to have to be careful not to do too much too soon, or he will get injured.
                  Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Those guys over there grow up in running schools and both were around 21 yrs old. .
                    At the track and field olympic qualifiers late this month/early next the US is expecting about a half dozen guys with PRs under 13:20 and one or two with sub 13:00 PR.
                      hmm... this is a question I ask MYSELF... I grew up knowing I wasn't as fast a runner as most all my friends. Part of that was I was always carrying a bit more weight around with me... Ok that being said... I really don't care what anybody else is capable of nor do base my self worth on comparisons with others. I find it intersting to see how I am fairing vs other folks my age but I generally accept that most other people who trained as well as I did would kick my butt. That being said the fun is see what I can do. I find it very exciting to see what I am capable of. The point is you don't know what you are capable of until you try.
                        I think native talent is HUGELY important as far as to what your limits are. I myself am not at all athletically gifted... probably the reverse. I could not be an athlete in high school, I was just too slow (and I'm not strong, either.) My cousin was an all-star track athlete in HS, and I can guarantee that if he had ever done marathon training like I have, he would have been sub 2:25 when he was in his 40s. Probably sub 2:20. I know one guy who has a bunch of marathon wins to his credit who goes out for sub 5 min/mile pace midweek runs (ok, and does slower running, too.) I know someone else who probably is physically incapable of doing any run as fast as 12 min/mile no matter how hard she would ever train. All that being said, none of us should despair of accomplishing worthwhile goals. They probably will be different for each one of us, but if they are not totally unrealistic they might be achievable. You can do more than you ever thought possible. Consider what someone who tied for being the slowest guy in his high school class (bottom 1%) was able to do. If you're interested, go to marathonmaniacs.com, click on the Insane Asylum, and then click on #970 to check out that kinda unique marathon double 30 years ago. Gino

Why is it sideways?

My cousin was an all-star track athlete in HS, and I can guarantee that if he had ever done marathon training like I have, he would have been sub 2:25 when he was in his 40s. Probably sub 2:20.
                          You're telling me that you have done the sort of training that it takes a gifted athlete to run sub 2:20? I would like to hear about that.

The Greatest of All Time

You're telling me that you have done the sort of training that it takes a gifted athlete to run sub 2:20? I would like to hear about that.
                            Maybe what he meant was that his cousin is such a stud he could go sub 2:20 just training like he did???? Didn't we already discuss the mental stuff or lack thereof that enables you to win, Jeff?
                            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                              Talent matters; no doubt about it. However, I can't think of any sport that offers such a huge pay off for hard work and dedication as running. Without question it is possible for a less talented runner to out race a more talented one with good training...that is providing that the talent gap is not too wide. Ennay, your 10k PR = 10:45.8 for 1.5 miles on one chart I looked at. That's 7:10.5 per mile. No doubt you can run under 7 mpm for that distance if you keep training like you have been. You might even come very close now. And who knows, you could be running at that speed for a full 5k some day. Just keep training and see where it takes you.
                              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Why is it sideways?

Maybe what he meant was that his cousin is such a stud he could go sub 2:20 just training like he did????
                                This is the claim that I doubt. If he trained like a marathoner who ran an hour slower (I don't know how fast slowgino has gone), he would run an hour slower.