Competitive family running (Read 1109 times)

I'm such a horrible mother!!! This Saturday I'm really hoping to kick my son's butt! My family (minus the 6 y/o) is running a local 5k race together. My 16 y/o (soon to be 17) announced that he will beat me, easily. Angry I guess I've got quite a competitive streak in me because as soon as he said that I realized that I couldn't let him beat me. Now that the race is just about here I'm a little nervous that my legs are going to let me down! He hasn't been running much, and says that he'll still run his best race yet, and win. We run about the same times for 5k, so this really should be a close race. I feel horrible that I want to beat him, but after his comment about being able to "easily beat me", I simply MUST do better than him. Is this wrong of me? Does anyone else ever compete against each other within family?

Michelle

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

It's a RACE. The object is to WIN. Now that he's started talking smack, you're not worth your salt if you don't taunt him when you beat him.
        If it's close you need someone at the finish to take y'alls picture just so you have a record of the winner. Big grin OH yeah, hide your son's shoes Wink unless he's a barefoot runner!

Vim

It's a RACE. The object is to WIN. Now that he's started talking smack, you're not worth your salt if you don't taunt him when you beat him.
          I KNOW THAT!! But, he's still a little too arrogant about it! As his mom, I'm torn on how I feel. I want to see him do great, but NOW, I don't want to see him do better than me. Blush Since our times are very similiar, with both of us having a PR of 21 something, I'm a bit worried because I'm not sure if I have it in me to run a sub 20 (if he does indeed run his "best" race).

Michelle

obsessor

Make sure he goes out at a sub-6:00 min pace. Tell him you are ready to run just over 18. That will teach 'im.
              I feel horrible that I want to beat him ... Is this wrong of me?
              Define "beat" then I'll tell you if you're horrible Evil grin
                If it's close you need someone at the finish to take y'alls picture just so you have a record of the winner. Big grin OH yeah, hide your son's shoes Wink unless he's a barefoot runner!
                My boss is going along to watch our 6 y/o for us, she'll have my camera for the "photo finish". No matter who wins I hope that my boss gets a nice finishing photo. Mostly likely it'll be Anthony finishing ahead of me with a huge smile, and me with a really annoyed look on my face. Roll eyes
                Make sure he goes out at a sub-6:00 min pace. Tell him you are ready to run just over 18. That will teach 'im.
                Funny! I thought of something like that but with my luck it would turn out that all he needed was that little extra push and suddenly he's found an amazing new PR!
                Define "beat" then I'll tell you if you're horrible Evil grin
                Ask me again after the race! Tongue

Michelle

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I KNOW THAT!! But, he's still a little too arrogant about it! As his mom, I'm torn on how I feel. I want to see him do great, but NOW, I don't want to see him do better than me. Blush ).
                  You're a mom 24/7. Let being a runner trump that for 21 minutes and trounce him! TROUNCE HIM I TELL YOU! I'm really looking forward to your race report - more than I have in a while.
                  Scout7

Kick some ass, seabass.
                    obsessor

Also, don't let it come down to a kick at the very end. You have to be 100m. or more ahead with 400m to go.
                      Kimmie

I definitely want to hear this race report too. My daughter ( 6 yo) has just started running and my husband always gives me a hard time when I "beat" her in a little foot race around the neighborhood. I told him that I better do it now while I can because pretty soon she'll be faster than me. I agree.... TROUNCE HIM... Smile He can take it.
                          I like the idea of that... let overconfidence be his weakness! Smile You don't want to outright sabotage anyone, such as hiding shoes, because that's just mean. Try serving KFC, Taco Bell, or any other uber greasy food as a pre-race dinner... teenagers can't resist their fast food. Then he will be bloated, greasy, and sick the next morning leaving you, a runner disciplined through meal experience and racing feeling fit and fast!
                            I have a very competitive (in a negative way) family, which is part of the reason I have come very late to running. I generally avoid all things competitive, including board games, cards and anything related to sports. All that said, in the situation you describe - I'd badly want to beat him. Preferably soundly!
                              Make sure that you plan your race strategy and work on executing it precisely. This should take your mind off the worry. If you plan and run your best race, and execute it well you will have the best chance of beating him. Now let us hope he gets a little cocky and fowl up on his pacing. He is young and not running much so there is a fair chance of that happening. Whatever happens have fun win or lose. You have a lot to be grateful for in life being able to run against your 17 year old and stand a chance is not something many folks can even conceive. Having an active family and a snot mouth son to motivate you is wonderful. He is maybe just having fun and that says much about your relationship.
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Umm, my goal is always to run at least HALF as fast as DS15. In our last 5k, I did! He finished in 16:56 and I finished in 31:35. Big grin I'm improving! I think it's great you have a good chance of beating your son! I'm competitive, too, so I try to beat DS in Scrabble. Wink