Correct Nomenclature for "Interval" workout data components (Read 90 times)

CJ77

Again, thank you to RA and Eric for all the work you have put into creating this website!  You are approaching the status of being the standard by which all other online training sites are compared.  Unfortunately, there are yet a couple hang-ups...

I believe that RA can greatly increase its value and credibility as a legitimate training log for intermediate and advanced athletes, as well as teams of athletes, by implementing the industry standards mentioned below.   Unfortunately, at the current time, improper terminology used on this website turns off prospective users, particularly intermediate and advanced athletes, as well as teams of athletes.  The improper terminology hurts the credibility of RA because the terminology is unprofessional.

Preface:

I had previously sent a "Feedback" message that also requested a separate workout type for "Repeat" workouts, as they are very different from "Interval" workouts.  Actually, this thread originally contained a public request for that feature and I still do prefer that particular feature to be added.  I also want to point out that I think I accidentally said that Active recovery is not used in Repeat workouts.  ...but anyway, I decided that it might be best if I only ask for 1 thing, and what follows is more important than adding "Repeat" to the list of workout types...

-----------------------------

In regard to nomenclature for "interval" workout data components:

At the time of this writing, the nomenclature is incorrect and unprofessional.

Current choices in the drop-down menu for interval workout data components:

1. Interval
    2. Recovery
    3. Rest

Correct Definitions:

• "Workbout" (yes, with a "b") refers to a specific quality portion within a workout.  RunningAHEAD does not currently list this as an option in the drop-down menu of "interval" workout data components.  How are we supposed to record our workouts??
    • "Recovery" refers to any break between workbouts.  Recovery has 2 components:  Mode and Duration.  Mode of Recovery can be Active (jogging) or Passive (rest or walking).  Duration of Recovery is generally complete (long) or incomplete (short).
    • "Interval" is a type of Recovery.  "Interval" refers to the interval of Recovery between the workbouts.  "Interval" does not refer to the workbout; it refers to the recovery.  Duration of Intervals between workbouts are incomplete recoveries, for the purpose of preventing full recovery between workbouts.  Intervals allow the athlete to maintain an elevated state of lactate dynamics and/or ventilatory dynamics between workbouts, for the purpose of helping the athlete to reach a particular desired physiological threshold quickly upon starting the next workbout (usually lactate threshold or VO2max).  Mode of Intervals may be Active (jogging, etc.) or Passive (rest, walking, etc.), but their Duration is never long enough to allow complete recovery.
    • "Rest" is yet another type of Recovery!  "Rest" always means Passive Mode of Recovery.  Duration of Rests between workbouts may be either complete (long) or incomplete (short) recoveries.  For Repeat Workouts, athletes get a complete (or mostly complete) rest.  For Interval Workouts, athletes get incomplete rest (generally a shorter period).

As you can see, RunningAHEAD has a major problem in regard to its drop-down list of workout components:

RA only offers "recovery" components. All 3 items in the drop-down list are types of "Recovery".  There is nothing to choose that represents the actual workbouts of quality running!

REQUEST:
    For the sake of helping to improve RunningAHEAD to an acceptable level of accuracy, quality and credibility as a training log, here follows a Table of Nomenclature, with RA's current terminology and the corrected (industry-standard) terminology:

Old Name of Data Component Corrected Name of Data Component Used in Repeat Workouts? Used in Interval Workouts?
    Interval Workbout Yes Yes
    Recovery ActiveRecov Sometimes Sometimes
    Rest Rest Always Sometimes

ActiveRecov = abbreviation of "Active Recovery".
    You will notice that I completely avoided any terminology that may be confusing to runners, even RunningAHEAD staff members.  I did not use the term "interval", but instead used less-confusing terminology that simplifies the types of recovery into 2 categories:  active recovery and rest.

The longest word currently used on the RA list of interval workout data components is "Recovery", which is 8 characters.  "ActiveRecov" is 11 characters.  Unfortunately, I think there is no way around extending the length of the drop-down box because I think there is no shorter word or phrase available to describe "active recovery" across all athletic disciplines.  If this were only about running, then we could say "Jog", but this website includes swimming and biking.  The box needs to be extended by at least 3 characters.  You may wish to decrease the width of the "Distance", "Duration" or "Notes" columns by a total of 3 characters.

----------

Thank you for taking the time to read this! 

Seriously?

CJ77

Seriously?

Tanya, have you ever competed on a team?

www.hplg.net  The Human Powered League - Solo Cup Series - Trail Building

Tanya, have you ever competed on a team?

Yes. And coached a team.

CJ77

Ok, then I do not understand your question.  Could you please explain?

Ok, then I do not understand your question.  Could you please explain?

I think what Tanya is saying is that you're being a bit of a pedantic weenie here.

Runners run.

old woman w/ a hobby

I think what Tanya is saying is that you're being a bit of a pedantic weenie here.

+1

steph  

OCD  If you don't laugh...   

Yes, Coach Jimmy, USATF Certified Coach, you are being what he said, to an extreme degree.  And you're just wrong.  Contrary to what you might think, there are a LOT of athletes on RA who have been or are competitive (high school and collegiate) runners and coaches.  I'd say most of us are pretty happy with the site and the nomenclature is fine for intervals.  If you've really been around running as much as you claim then you would know that the choices eric offers for workouts are fine.  They match perfectly the vernacular (common language) of how these terms are used.  And your differentiation between "interval" and "repeat" workouts is also pedantic and unnecessary.  There is no "industry standard" terminology around these words, although yes, I am aware that some coaches (notably Daniels) use the terms to convey technical differences, but most runners don't really care in everyday speech.  Besides, you can name your interval workouts whatever you like.  If you want to call a workout "12x200 repeats" and another one "4x800 intervals", you can do so.

- Joe

all running goals are under review by the executive committee.

CJ77

Alrighty then...

From the few quick and rude replies I see here, I am beginning to think this website may not ever be suitable for teams of young athletes...

If people think I am crazy for making this request, then that is ok -- apparently they have a different type of interest regarding their participation in athletics.  ...but I'd rather not expose my kids to rude adult behavior on a regular basis.

Maybe the culture here is not supportive of educating young runners in that regard -- not that the community here "should" be supportive of it, just that the people here have other interests.

Maybe Training Peaks would be a better fit -- particularly a more positive environment.

Perhaps, Coach Jimmy USATF Certified Coach.

On the other hand you might consider that your opening post could have come across as rude and extremely condescending in the first place. Just a thought.

I mean a lot of athletes (including some very serious post-collegiate athletes) are managing to use and get significant value from this training log. Certainly to these athletes and coaches, the limits and nomenclature of the interval function is nothing that constitutes a bold and underlined major problem.

But you're right, it's probably us that's the problem.

Runners run.

CJ77

Perhaps, Coach Jimmy USATF Certified Coach.

On the other hand you might consider that your opening post could have come across as rude and extremely condescending in the first place. Just a thought.

I mean a lot of athletes (including some very serious post-collegiate athletes) are managing to use and get significant value from this training log. Certainly to these athletes and coaches, the limits and nomenclature of the interval function is nothing that constitutes a bold and underlined major problem.

But you're right, it's probably us that's the problem.

Wow, sorry if that's the way it came across.  I certainly did not mean to be rude.

To clarify, I am not worried about any "very serious post-collegiate athletes" getting confused.  Those people are not the ones who need help here.

From the perspective of trying to teach a large group (academia), I think the nomenclature is important.  It helps to use the correct nomenclature across all team communications.  Also, if I teach my athletes the correct terminology, but then the website flips the terminology and/or definitions to something that is convoluted or even incorrect, then that is confusing and/or stressful to the athletes.  They are tempted to give up on using the online training log.

...so, I made a request for the corrections..

...so, I made a request for the corrections..

er, "suggestions."  The word "corrections" implies that there was actual error to begin with, which there was not.

- Joe

all running goals are under review by the executive committee.

Closed for repairs

Sometimes, I use notes to describe parts of my run that don't fit a cookie cutter definition.  If I had a USATF certified coach, he/she could then help me make an existing running log and community  fit my/our/or team's specific needs, rather than the other way around.  Pretty sure I can even use bold and underlines and stuff in there, but I'm not sure.

Closed for repairs

Nomenclature is a big word.