Shamrock Marathon (Read 509 times)

mark-bixler

Just a couple of months away now. I hope all this pre-dawn training in the cold pays off. This is my first Shamrock and second marathon overall. Looking for a good race since it is a flat course. Anyone else here doing this marathon? March 22 Virginia Beach, VA Anyone out there who has done it, have any advice?

Listen. Yeah, it's gonna hurt some. That's the marathon business.

But here's the thing. When it starts to get intense, that's not time to panic. This is what you wanted to happen. It means that all the training, all the miles, all the wakeups, all the cold, all the wet, all the sleep-deprived days and all the shit you've done to yourself over the last 6 plus months is finally about to pay off. It means you've put yourself where you wanted to be. You've given yourself an opportunity that very few will ever have. You've given yourself a chance.

Now finish it.

xor

Nice flattish course. It can be WINDY, like most ocean races in spring. Fun time.

I ran this race twice-definitely windy but surprisingly not much of a factor for me. I PR'd both times I ran it, and got my first BQ here. At least when I ran it, the worst of the wind was between 10-16 miles, but it really wasn't as bad as the Marathonguide reviews suggest. Shamrock is a fun race weekend in VA Beach-I'm sure you'll have a nice time!
          I'll be running the shamrock full this year. I ran the half last year and the full the year before. The course is windy but that is not necessarily a bad thing when the last 4 miles are with the wind. Parking can definitely be a problem. Make sure you have a plan (and a backup plan) picked out the day before. Either way count on walking about a mile to the start.
            I plan on running the full too. I did three half's last year and I feel like my endurance and base is good enough to make the step up to the full. The Tidewater Striders are hosting three warm up races that help with milage progression. The second (25k) is this Saturday at Fort Story, the third is in February (30k) If you live in that area you might want to register and run them to get the feel of the area and running near the ocean. http://www.tidewaterstriders.com I transfered to Virginia three months ago from Connecticut. The complete lack of hills is easy on the legs. Weather would be the bigest factor. Heffa- thanks for the advice about the parking. I appreciate the heads up. Karl
              I live in Virginia Beach very near the course (about 3/4s of a mile from the boardwalk) and the last few years, it's been cold and windy for Shamrock. It's a loop course, though, and as mentioned the wind is usually at your back as you finish and parts of the course are sheltered from the wind so it's not terrible. The course runs along part of the route they use for the RnR half. It's nearly always windy near the ocean but you aren't running along the boardwalk for too long. The temperature in March can vary wildly from the 30s to 70s. You just have to cross your fingers and hope it's not hot. It's definitely a PR course if you get decent weather. Edited to add: parking can be difficult but there are public parking lots at 24th Street and 19th Street. You also can park back by the Convention Center on 19th Street where you pick up your packet (tons of parking) and walk/jog to the start. It is about a mile walk, though. There is also parking in the neighborhoods located a couple of blocks inland from the ocean but it's pretty limited. Look out for No Parking and Parking by Permit only signs. The police ticket heavily near the oceanfront.

Once a runner . . .

Runner

Was my first Marathon. I BQ'd so it is a good course to me. It was windy at times, but all races are a craps shoot when weather is concered it seems these days. The half runners seem to get a lot more attention. Last year they all downed all the soup. None left for a lot of full runners. Great site though. A lot of fun in Va. Beach.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler