Tecumseh Trail Marathon 2012 (Read 741 times)

Trail Dog

By the end, you'll be believing in Santa Claus :-)

Ho, ho ho. Big grin

I've run plenty of ultras, and I can say that was a difficult trail marathon. Much more difficult that I was expecting. I have been sick, so started the race thinking, "Oh, I'll just try to break 5 hours". Not! Revised plan became, "Let's see how close to 5 hours I can get". Finished in 5:18, which was not too bad considering how sick I've been. I would normally run a ~ 4:10 road marathon. I loved coming around the bend and seeing that gravel hill at mile 13 - it literally looked like a wall in the distance.

I'll be back next year for a bit PR. That was a very well run event, flawless execution. A++++ for sure!

Ho, ho ho. Big grin

I've run plenty of ultras, and I can say that was a difficult trail marathon. Much more difficult that I was expecting. I have been sick, so started the race thinking, "Oh, I'll just try to break 5 hours". Not! Revised plan became, "Let's see how close to 5 hours I can get". Finished in 5:18, which was not too bad considering how sick I've been. I would normally run a ~ 4:10 road marathon. I loved coming around the bend and seeing that gravel hill at mile 13 - it literally looked like a wall in the distance.

I'll be back next year for a bit PR. That was a very well run event, flawless execution. A++++ for sure!

Glad you enjoyed it and want to go back. I'm not yet at the point where I want to go back.  

That hill at mile 13 was a thing of beauty.  It really should be on a poster or something, assuming you can  capture the magnitude.

Slo

Tecumseh is an awesome trail marathon.

I missed it this year.

That gravel is the devils gravel. In Iowa we have limestone...not that jagged, sharp, unforgiving stuff they use in Indianna.

Feeling the growl again

That gravel is the devils gravel. In Iowa we have limestone...not that jagged, sharp, unforgiving stuff they use in Indianna.

Have not run it yet but +1 on the gravel here.  I never minded running on gravel in MI (everything where I grew up was gravel) but my routes where I live now are limited to the north because the county 2 miles north has a lot of gravel, and I consider it nearly un-runnable.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Jeff F

Free Beer

Yes, the big hill at Tecumseh.

The first year I did Tecumseh was the year it snowed and we did the out and back; the out and back course turned around just before this big hill so I didn't see it that year.  People told me I had to come back because the point-to-point course was more difficult.  Stupid me...I came back last year to find out.  Right before the big hill my left ITB began screaming at me so I walked the entire hill.  Took some ibuprofen and got some relief.  I remember someone handing out beer at about mile 18, were they there again this year?

I might have to go back next year.

Later.

StepbyStep-SH

Amanda - I'm glad you had fun at Tecumseh! I ran it a few years ago with friends, and we barely skated in under 6 hours. Of course, none of us are really trail runners, we took our time chatting at the aid stations, and we did lose a few minutes to a detour when we lost the trail markers for a bit. I would like to go back someday - it was such a fun atmosphere. My favorite was the hot soup, cocoa and roaring fires at the end.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

paulski66

miscreant

Hopefully next year.

I decided to run the HUFF 50k again this year. But Tecumseh is on my short list.

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Trail Dog

Yes, the big hill at Tecumseh.

Right before the big hill my left ITB began screaming at me so I walked the entire hill. 

My legs felt fine and I still walked the big hill. Big grin

And +1 on that awful gravel...

Step, ahhh you are the one who ran it a few years ago! I was trying to remember.

Paulski, I nearly signed up for HUFF but decided on the Frozen Gnome 50K instead (closer to home). Maybe I will get HUFF next year (definitely going back for Tecumseh).

C-R

Just a reminder of the fun @ HUFF. Makes me glad I ran it with a high of 3 degrees.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Just a reminder of the fun @ HUFF. Makes me glad I ran it with a high of 3 degrees.

I showed my son this picture and he said, "oh, that's so cool." But, then I reminded him it's in the winter... cold, wet, miserable.

My legs felt fine and I still walked the big hill. Big grin

And +1 on that awful gravel...

Step, ahhh you are the one who ran it a few years ago! I was trying to remember.

Paulski, I nearly signed up for HUFF but decided on the Frozen Gnome 50K instead (closer to home). Maybe I will get HUFF next year (definitely going back for Tecumseh).

I walked the big hill because I realized I wasn't going any faster running than the walkers were, and expending a lot more energy.

paulski66

miscreant

I don't need a reminder. That's fused into my bones.

Plus, I prefer the video version: (link)

Ostrich runner

There is another race done in the fall that is, in part, on the same trail system. It's a half marathon, but has a longer section of even worse gravel. There's always a few barefooters running it for the first time. They're adorable. Every time, I've seen them get warned, only to respond with one of those rote soliloquies we used to read on here. That gravel does not forgive. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

paulski66

miscreant

Frozen Gnome looks pretty awesome. If I hadn't already vowed to quit screwing around and start training for Boston once the HUFF was over, I might be tempted...

Ah, well, there's always next year.