If you are passing someone in a race - should you say something or not? (Read 1608 times)

xor

Almost done; it's all downhill from here.

"We haven't passed by the solid waste facility, yet" Big grin

Vim

kcam

"I GOTTA quit smoking"
        DoppleBock

What I do not want to hear from spectators is your almost there at any time before mile 24. My mental 1/2 way point is mile 20.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Apparantly I'm joining the party late on this one, and I'll say this: I normally don't say a word, but I did make a couple comments in my last ½ marathon. I was running just behind the pack with the lead women in it, and one of the girls was obviously hurting and having trouble, and as she dropped back to me, I tried to encourage her to stick with me, as I was planning on running about 10 sec/km slower from that point on than that pack was. She didn't seem too upset by it, but this is the 'obviously not racing each other' category, I guess, even if she was just falling back from the top ladies. Just to brag, I ended up passing that entire pack and running the second half of the race faster than the first, which had been faster than my plan.
              Why would untra runners look down on a 10k runner?
              I was trollin
              For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.

uncontrollable

Sometimes - depends but the last mile of my most recent marathon - I said to some guy who started to walk " dude, it's a MILE ... bite the bullet - C'mon" within 2 minutes he suddenly flew by me & gave me a quick wave. Damn - good for him!

peace

A Saucy Wench

Seriously, though -- Ennay, if I were to drive up for the McDonald Forest 10K on the 15th -- I would wear a little sign on my back; "10K WEENIE". But not this year....I'm planning to drive south for the Grants Pass half instead.
                  I might do that. If only to give the ultra guys something to laugh at. Splain the McD reference to me sometime. I do 2-3 races a year there so we could meet up sometime. The only one I am for sure doing next year is the ORRC 10K/30K in March. The 30K this time.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

Sometimes - depends but the last mile of my most recent marathon - I said to some guy who started to walk " dude, it's a MILE ... bite the bullet - C'mon" within 2 minutes he suddenly flew by me & gave me a quick wave. Damn - good for him!
                    I was talking to myself during my last marathon, but I shit you not when I yelled out "Harden the fuck up you did not come here to quit" EVERYONE around me picked up the pace.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I was talking to myself during my last marathon, but I shit you not when I yelled out "Harden the fuck up you did not come here to quit" EVERYONE around me picked up the pace.
                      Nice coaching work Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

It seems like the general consensus on this thread is no, don't say anything - unless you are doing an ultra. Thanks for the comments!
                        "Live Healthy" www.blonderunner.com/blog/ Goal: Under 18:00 min in 5K
                        xor

That may be because they wanted to get away from the crazy lady who was cussing at herself.

12-week layoff

Can I use this for my next middle school track meet?
                              Lessons learned. Don't say anything unless you are willing to risk someone taking offense even though you meant well by it. If someone says something offensive, give them the benefit of the doubt.
                              And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

xor

I was wondering where you've been. Your sky is now singular. It is slimming.