Bringing down cholesterol (Read 1258 times)

areesemd

To the original poster: I eat at least 50g of fiber a day and oatmeal every day as well.
    50g? Wow. Who is always stopping to go to the bathroom on runs?

The Greatest of All Time

50g? Wow. Who is always stopping to go to the bathroom on runs?
      Actually I go once a day. Like clockwork too.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        Actually I go once a day. Like clockwork too.
        Dude.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Heat the milk to hot to the touch, which is 180 degrees. Cool the milk to warm to the touch, which is 120 degrees. Add old yogurt. Place in an oven preheated to ~100 degrees, then turned off. Wrap the jars in a towel. That will keep it warm enough.
          Also, how much "old yogurt?" Any other measuring? And my doctor's office told me my cholesteral was 151 today. They didn't break it down, which ticked me off. They started to ramble about insurance plans and, since mine was "great," further breakdown wasn't needed. A few years ago, mine was near 220. Less crap "food" and more miles. A lot more miles. I also figure booze cuts through it. Haven't reduced my cheese intake one bit, though. In fact, I'm going to get a cocktail and a chunk of Cypress Grove cheese right now and log my run.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A cholesterol of 150 is great, and you really don't need a breakdown. Sweet work! A spoonful or two of old yogurt per jar is good. This past Winter, my cholesterols crossed...my HDL is now higher than my LDL!!
              Thanks, Trent! Can't wait to make the yogurt. (Not tonight: we have store stuff to go through first.)
              t_runner

more miles.... booze ... Haven't reduced my cheese intake one bit
                So I can do this? and be at 151 total? Awesome. Smile
                This past Winter, my cholesterols crossed...my HDL is now higher than my LDL!!
                I think I have a lot of work to ever do that! But very nice. Thanks again to all for the advice! Hopefully I can post back in 3 months with some better numbers.
                  Well, I'm not a doctor, but I've played the game as a child, so you'd have to take my "orders" with that in mind. It's probably the running, which led to @ 20 pounds of weight loss from my heaviest, when my cholesterol was also high. And as I said, I cut out crap "food." I used to buy lunch a lot and, even though I may have had breakfast, when coworkers were going for a bagel, I'd almost always get one. Or one w/ bacon egg and cheese. Totally cut those out and saved tons of money, too. And like the commercial says, cholesterol comes from two sources: My dad watches his diet and excercises, but has highish cholesterol anyway. My mom, who is morbidly obese and is largely inactive says she has low cholesterol.
                    Heat the milk to hot to the touch, which is 180 degrees. Cool the milk to warm to the touch, which is 120 degrees. Add old yogurt. Place in an oven preheated to ~100 degrees, then turned off. Wrap the jars in a towel. That will keep it warm enough.
                    My grandmother's trick... Scald the milk (almost but not to boiling point) Let it cool until you can stick your (clean) pinky in it for 10 seconds Add about half a cup of old yogurt Put in a warm place overnight covered in a blanket Another trick to replace cream cheese or whatever they call that stuff is to make "yogurt cheese" or Labneh which is just thickened yogurt. It's very easy to do... Find a cheese cloth. This is just an non-dyed finely woven piece of cotton. For example Make a pouch with your cloth and pour the yogurt in it. Tie it over the sink and let the water drain from it. After a couple of hours there will be less dripping. You can then hang it in your fridge over a bowl so it keeps draining. Found those instructions on the web: http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Cheese/Making_Laban/Labneh.htm. I just omit the salt and move it to the fridge. - R
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The stuff that drips off as you are making the yogurt cheese is the whey. It is protein-rich. Save it and use it as part of the liquid when making bread.
                        I'll second the more running advice. I started exercising at 47, running at 48. At 47 my #s: HDL = 123 LDL = 86 At almost 51 my #s are....drum rolll please HDL = 138.5 LDL = 70.8 My triglycerides are 1/2 the level they were. My doctor has never seen an HDL that high. I would not take statins at age 30 and female. You will be a guinea pig because there is no evidence that taking a statin, even though it will lower your cholesterol, will protect you from anything. There are no double-blind, controlled, long-term, randomized trials on women especially and definitely no-one in your age group.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Time for my two cents on this one. As you can see by previous replies, weight and proportion have little to do with High Cholesterol verses your Genes, diet and exercise. I'm 5' 10" tall and slender. At 40, my cholesterol went form a steady 189-191 to something like 230. First thing my Dr did, was to request a retest to validate the finding. But it was pretty accurate. Research with my family found that my Mother and all of my surviving 5 siblings (4 older and 1 younger) all have high cholesterol and all taking medication to control. Mine was not as high as theirs, my Dr believed it was only because I was more physically active than the rest of them. So he suggested that I start controlling my diet. I thought eating a lot of salads would be good for me and cut out the daily hamburger and french fries for lunch as well as frequent stops at McDonalds and Burger King. Like someone else said, I cut out most cheese, but after a couple of years, there was only a moderate drop. Then I started reading labels on things and was shocked to see how many grams of fat they contained. One of the worst were salad dressings and here I was eating 1-2 salads everyday. So we switch to healthier oils like sunflower seed and olive oil with vinegar and lad fat dressings Over the next couple of years, again, I only saw slight decreases in my cholesterol levels, but my Dr was fairly happy that it was going down instead of up. When I started running, I became more diet conscious, eating more healthier stuff and cutting out even more of the junk foods and trying to eat smaller portions of meat and eating more fish, turkey etc. Last Sept at my checkup and after 4 years of running, my cholesterol was down to 190 (Don't remember the breakdown) but he did comment that he still would like to see my LDL go done more and bring my HDL up more, but that he was happy to see that I am still on a downward trend. So I'm stuck with Genes for poor cholesterol, on the other hand, my wife is 50 lbs over weight, doesn't exercise, eats a lot of potato chips and other junk food and her cholesterol is like 160. So after all I've said, I think the message for everyone, no matter what your age is, know your family history and talk to your Dr about it. When I did this, I found out that all 4 of my older siblings have had bots with cancer and I've lost two other older siblings to cancer. So cancer is very prevalent in my immediate family, however my mother is 85 and has never had any cancer. But on the good side, no one in my family has heart disease and diabetes.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

The stuff that drips off as you are making the yogurt cheese is the whey. It is protein-rich. Save it and use it as part of the liquid when making bread.
                            Trent, You are truly a guy that is living the simple life huh? You remind me of a guy living in the " Little House on the Prarie" times.....You let nothing waste! How awesome is that? Look at the shining example you are being for your kids.... They are very fortunate. Everyone ( our friends and such) makes fun of Hub and I because we " can" alot during the summer. We of course eat as much of the fresh veggies that come out of our garden, but you can't eat it all unfortunately before it goes to waste, so we can lots. Last year we made squash pickles, did quarts and quarts of green beans, I made TONS of Marinara sauce with just the basil and tomatoes overgrowing in the yard. We also did beets, bread and butter pickles, and we have a great crabapple tree that Hub made Jars of crabapple jelly and did some habenero crabapple jelly..... Sweet hot. ( nice kick). Hub's Mom taught him all of the tricks of canning before she died a few years ago, and we have all of her canning jars and pots. It's a really nice connection to Someone no longer here everytime we drag it all out on a 95 degree day to start preserving the Summer bounty. Sorry to Hi-Jack, just wanted to comment~ Wink MTA: spelling

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

t_runner

I made TONS of Marinar sauce with just the basil and tomatoes overgrowing in the yard.
                              Sounds like a good idea... If only I had chef skills Smile Tomato and basil are two things that I can generally get to thrive in my vegetable garden though...
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cool! Two weeks ago I made three batches of strawberry preserves from berries we picked. Most years I make pickles. I will be making yogurt this evening. Our freezers are full of fruits and berries from through the summer. I put up loads of pesto and tomatoes. Good stuff!