Bringing down cholesterol (Read 1258 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I had a tomato mill for a while, but it was just not worth the effort. I do have a boat motor, which I love. Easy to use, easy to clean.
      I had a tomato mill for a while, but it was just not worth the effort. I do have a boat motor, which I love. Easy to use, easy to clean.
      Got the Viking Immersion blender last spring, and use it " Daily"...... comes with a whisk attachment that makes very easy work of whipping egg whites and making homemade whipped creme.... Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Amen sister. Amen.

A Saucy Wench

Got the Viking Immersion blender last spring, and use it " Daily"...... comes with a whisk attachment that makes very easy work of whipping egg whites and making homemade whipped creme.... Smile
          immersion blenders are the BEST. Although I got one for my mom who makes soup religiously. She tried to make mashed potatoes with it and complained that it didnt work. I asked her "do you put mashed potatoes in the blender?" Roll eyes It took another year for her to try it on soup because it wouldnt make mashed potatoes. Finally she realized how nice it was not to have all of your bowls used up trying to puree soup. The ones with the attachments would be nice, I just have the plain one. But at least it is dishwasher safe. MTA: (and cheffy - it does make a lovely squash puree Smile I made my pumpkin pie filling with it last year, although I had to strain it to make it thick enough for pie. )

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cut pumpkin in half. Remove seeds. Bake/roast at 500 for about an hour. Scoop pulp into a colander, drain. Mix all pie ingredients together, then use the immersion blender at this step. It will be plenty thick. I quickly made filling for 10 pies for the Monkey this way each of the last two years.
              Cut pumpkin in half. Remove seeds. Bake/roast at 500 for about an hour. Scoop pulp into a colander, drain. Mix all pie ingredients together, then use the immersion blender at this step. It will be plenty thick. I quickly made filling for 10 pies for the Monkey this way each of the last two years.
              OH YUMMY..... Pumpkin Pie! Hub makes EXCELLENT sweet potato pies..... Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I absolutely want to do something about this, but NOT meds.
                Mine was higher than I wanted a few weeks ago. HDL was good for male (49) so LDL is the real issue. Am trying Red Yeast Rice and then recheck. There are a number of studies that have supported its function to lower LDL and triglycerides. Mayo clinic actually rates it high for effectiveness (Mayo "grades" supplements on the Mayo website). I also believe that there are some other items that should be checked and believe they are just as important to monitor: Homocysteine & C-reactive protein (high sensitivity). Inflammation is becoming a marker that many docs monitor. Should see if your doc did these tests too.

• Black Canyon 100k
                • RRR
                • Zane Grey 100k
                • High Lonesome 100
                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                • The Bear 100
                • Javelina Jundred (?)

A Saucy Wench

Am trying Red Yeast Rice and then recheck. There are a number of studies that have supported its function to lower LDL and triglycerides. Mayo clinic actually rates it high for effectiveness (Mayo "grades" supplements on the Mayo website).
                  I had a friend that the Red Yeast Rice worked very well for. Dramatic difference.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I had a friend that the Red Yeast Rice worked very well for. Dramatic difference.
                    A guy I work with swears by this stuff too... says it lowered his LDL 60 points in 4 months. I don't even know what the stuff is (my cholesterol has ranged from 87-120 over the last 10 years so I don't really worry about it... and I'm not much of a supplements guy), but he swears by it. - Chris
                    HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I don't even know what the stuff is
                      it is actually the yeast that grows on red rice. Should really be called "Red Rice Yeast"

• Black Canyon 100k
                      • RRR
                      • Zane Grey 100k
                      • High Lonesome 100
                      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                      • The Bear 100
                      • Javelina Jundred (?)
                        it is actually the yeast that grows on red rice. Should really be called "Red Rice Yeast"
                        Cool...yeah, I just talked to my co-worker and he said that was the only change he made to his diet and he dropped his total cholesterol by 61 points in a few weeks. If so, that's impressive. Would be interesting to see some medical studies done on it... Edit: Here's a few studies: http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/69/2/231%20 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6VS8-445RB5C-CP&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=da40d4ecc41d0886c50b0b248d2a861b http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T99-4BRPT16-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=9d3ec73e46cfa389ccd40e17da8758be
                        t_runner

Trust me, you don't need " Chef Skills" to make great Marinara for canning. The only thing you really need is a few basic things equipment wise. Food Mill: This is the Most important thing. It takes the seeds and skins off of tomatoes. Clean Sterilized Jars Big pot of boiling water I cut my tomatoes in half, and lay them out on large sheet pans and roast them in the oven ( or even out on the grill) at 425 for about 25 minutes. I also drizzle them with Olive Oil, and sea salt before roasting. Then I food mill them over a large bowl. Large pot on the stove, heat a few Tbsps olive oil, small onion chopped, a few cloves garlic minced, your basil leaves, and your milled tomatoes. Bring to a low boil and season to taste. Divide up into sterile jars, seal them and place in a large pot where the water comes up about 1/2 way around the jar, and boil for about 20-30 minutes. Carefully remove jars to a towel and the lids will start to " Pop" down, meaning they are heat sealed. allow to cool to the touch and store in a cool dry pantry. YUM! Smile
                          Thanks Cheffy!! That sounds delicious, I will definitely try that once I get some tomatoes popping up! I was glad to read later on that the skins are good, because I'd rather try it without buying anything new until I see if I can do it! I really appreciate everybody's food advice. I need to force more real food and less sugary stuff for sure. I've switched a lot of stuff out already, so hopefully I can continue and make enough of an impact to lower my cholesterol naturally. Trent - just out of curiousity, if statins are really safe, why would my doctor say she doesn't normally prescribe for women of childbearing age? Is there some harm to a fetus if the mother is on them? Like I said earlier, I wasn't planning on having children anyway, I was just curious. At what cholesterol point would you personally take them?
                          t_runner

I also believe that there are some other items that should be checked and believe they are just as important to monitor: Homocysteine & C-reactive protein (high sensitivity). Inflammation is becoming a marker that many docs monitor. Should see if your doc did these tests too.
                            Cholesterol was my only test. She wants to see me in three months and see where the numbers are, and then do further tests as needed...
                            t_runner

I quickly made filling for 10 pies for the Monkey this way each of the last two years.
                              I have never had pumpkin pies with anything but canned, but it sounds really good. Guess I should start hitting some hill training? Smile
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Canned pumpkin? They make such a thing? Confused Wink