52 in 52 (Read 996 times)

Michael Bennett

Kia ora all. A thought - anyone interested in a 52 half marathons in 52 weeks club....? With the idea that any run greater than a half is counted as 1 half - but a marathon is counted as 2 halves - etc I've only managed it once, in 2007, doing the 52nd half on Dec 28th - it's a bloody nice goal to aim for. Any takers? I have no idea how we'd set it up for YTD distances etc - any tech heads out there who know how? And having suggested the idea, I'd be useless as an administrator for another 2 months cos I'm shooting a movie - but happy to co-administer after that.... Thoughts?
      Sounds rough, especially during the dawg days of summer. Dead I might just be dumb enough to give it a try.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Carl A

Hè, I'd be in. If we get more than a few members, we could set up a spreadsheet or graph using Google docs and let everyone enter their halves in as they go. I might be able to figure out how to set it up, and if the process doesn't go well I could ask Wingz about it. If it's only a few people, we could just post messages to keep a running tally. Good luck with the movie!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Are these official half marathons, or just going out and running the distance?
            For me it would have to just be 13.1 , sadly there is no way I could afford that many entry fees.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Good question -- cause I dont even think there are official halves year around that would count (without some serious travel)..........so it would have to be unofficial halves........and suddenly we could do it..... If its unofficial halves -- once per week --- count me in.........sounds like decent goal......if its official halves, I just coudnt do it -- like Baddawg -- doubt if I could afford it and even if I could my wife would throw me out of the house for suggesting it....

Champions are made when no one is watching

With my name being what it is, I almost have to do this.
                xor

If you aren't counting races, then it is more of a 'streak' club based on training runs. Which is cool - just a wholly different idea than a Maniac-like thing based on races. If you *are* interested in starting a club based on running official half marathon races: 1. My suggestion is to be a little more conservative than 52 in 52. Maybe one-a-month or something. IF you want a bigger club. 2. As I've found with the 10 star maniacs (those who do 30 states in one year, 52 marathons in one year, or some otherworldly number of countries in one year), those who make this goal are either blessed to live in a place with a TON of races (the pacific northwest for example), and/or are blessed with a very accommodating family/single, and/or have some way to fund this level of habit. It's an interesting group, but it does sometimes create a weirdly artificial divide between haves and have-nots. It's all in fun and it doesn't make a person a better person to have run 52 races in a year. Be aware and beware of unintended consequences in club dynamics. 3. You might check out various existing clubs. Here's a club devoted to running half marathons in 25 states: http://www.half2run.com/ Also the original 50 states + DC group has a half marathon option: http://www.50anddcmarathongroupusa.com/plus/ Good luck!

Michael Bennett

Heya - I'm thinking it has to include unofficial halves, ie training runs as well as official events - it has to be that way for my neck of the woods, there's probably only a couple of dozen or so sanctioned half marathons a year through the whole of NZ. Really nice there's some interest in the idea - and especially sweet if you are good with looking into setting it up, Carl - let's do it!
                      While you smart guys figure out the tough stuff, this simpleton created a group (I'm pretty good at something...) http://www.runningahead.com/groups/52in52 C'mon by and join when you get a chance. This has to be up and running by the 29th, I don't want to miss out on two points. Clowning around

E.J.