Another Garmin Rant (Read 1057 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My kiddos painted 9, but they did not place it. I do not know if the posts in EWP are certified.
      Well, that's 6.6% high, which is well outside of what you should expect: Normally, the GPS data sort of self-corrects as you go -- positional inaccuracy is not cumulative, and errors don't compound the way they might with a footpod-based device.
      My experience puts an error of 6.6% far above what I normally see -- but not outside of what I have ever seen. Trees, hills, curves, and even clouds can cause problems for the Garmin. Trees, clouds and hills block satellite signals which then reduces the Garmin's locational accuracy. Hills and curves make getting the location more important to producing an accurate distance estimate also reducing the Garmin's ability to correctly measure distances traveled. While vertical locational errors will cancel over a run, horizontal measurement errors do not. That is horizontal locational errors are cumulative. Imagine you run a perfectly straight line for a mile. The best estimate has you exactly along the line. However, due to locational errors the Garmin will believe that you ran a zig-zag route from one end to the other. Each zig and each zag adds to the total error. There is no cancellation. The only good news here is that the triangle formula a^2+b^2=c^2 helps out a lot. You actually travel along "a" and that is what you want the Garmin to produce. But it thinks you went along "c." (In this example the Garmin got the vertical distance traveled right. This is immaterial as vertical errors do cancel.) So, the error here is the "b" term. If you do a few examples you will see even seemingly large errors are not so bad. Suppose the Garmin has you running 200' (the "c") but is off at the end point by 40' (the "b"). How far did you really go? Answer: 195.96' and error of only 2% too long even though the vertical error was a whopping 25% of the distance traveled!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

JakeKnight

Out of curiosity, has anybody checked the accuracy with the "every second" data point recording versus the standard "smart recording?"

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

While vertical locational errors will cancel over a run, horizontal measurement errors do not. That is horizontal locational errors are cumulative.
          Just to be clear, you are calling the direction run as vertical, and side-to-side (with respect to the runner) as horizontal, right? In which case what you says makes sense.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Out of curiosity, has anybody checked the accuracy with the "every second" data point recording versus the standard "smart recording?"
            I imagine it's one-second sampling is a little better more accurate, because it will capture corners more accurately i.e. when you turn a corner with low sampling, it draws a straight line between the points, making it look like you cut the corner. However, upload times are probably a lot slower because there's so much more data with 1-second sampling. And you get to store less runs/laps on the device because 1-second samples hog more memory. Probably not worth it, IMHO. Modified to improve clarity

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

It also depends how good of signal/how many satellites it was picking up. My handheld navigational Garmin actually tells you on acquisition what ther +/- error is according to current signal quality; the running versions don't! For example, last time I booted it up I had clear sky and an error margin of 86 feet! The time before it was only 15.
              Time to get to know your Garmin. The running versions do tell you the +/- error. Its buried in the menu's under Navigation. You can also change your data fields to add the +/- accuracy to add it to the main screen. Thats what I do, and I don't start a run unless its synched up and measuring less than 30 feet. I'm willing to make a bet that Jim didn't have his accuracy that low when he started his track workout. Not quite enough satellites synched up. Or maybe there are some trees at Jim's track? When I run on the track, I usually get between 0.24 and 0.26 per lap and nearly always 0.25 unless I had to pass someone on the curve. Yet, when running on a track I use my Garmin as if it were a stopwatch because I know it has its accuracy limitations. I hit the lap key every lap and look a the lap time to gauge my pace. Also, since I use my Garmin in miles, yet the track is measured in meters, Garmin measurements are off by 2.25 meters a lap anyway. The nice thing about the Garmin is I don't have to keep track of the laps of a long workout in my head. If it reads between 3.4 and 3.6 miles, I know I've done 14 laps.
                I imagine it's a little better, because it will capture corners more accurately i.e. when you turn a corner with less sampling, it draws a straight line between the points, making it look like you cut the corner.
                JeffGoBlue- I think you have your P's and Q's mixed up. Less sampling = Less accuracy. More sampling = More Accuracy. It is standard GPS protocol to sample the satellite data once every second. The Forerunner X05 gives you the option between 1 S/sec and "Smart Sampling" which is something LESS than 1 S/sec to save memory. A measurement with Smart Sampling would give a less accurate measurement than standard 1S/sec recording. You can't say one way or another how they cut the corners or overestimate the corners without access to Garmin's software algorithm. (Does anyone have iit? Doubtful...) JakeKnight proposed a great series of experiments that Jim should attempt with his Garmin to compare 1S/Sec vs Smart.
                mikeymike

Isn't that pretty much what globule said?

Runners run

He said the opposite. Less sampling = More accuracy. "...it will capture corners more accurately i.e. when you turn a corner with less sampling..."
                    mikeymike

"...it draws a straight line between the points, making it look like you cut the corner." I read that as meaning less accuracy.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

I love my Garmin. It’s great for giving me a ballpark figure of how far I’ve run on a strange route and keeping track of a lot of data. However, it has limits. For races I leave at home, preferring to use my trusty stopwatch and mile markers to gauge my pace.
                        Sounds like me. My Garmin allows me to vary my routes, which helps keep the boredom away. Also, when combined with Sportracks it allows me to keep a fairly accurate running log. For races I leave the Garmin home and bring my Timex Ironman watch. I'd rather keep focus on the race instead of wondering why the Garmin doesn't match the mile markers.

Not at it at all. 

"...it draws a straight line between the points, making it look like you cut the corner." I read that as meaning less accuracy.
                          GoBlue needs to clarify what he was trying to say. This is what I think he was trying to say: (which I agree with and qualified earlier) "If there are less samples (aka-Smart Sampling) then it will draw a straight line between points making you look like you cut the corner. " MODIFIED: Ive come to the conclusion that I have been staring at my computer screen too long today, basically I believe I may have confused what GloBlue refers to as "its" . I have my P's and Q's mixed up. Sorry Jeff.
                            I too would make a I guess that not enough Sats were loaded...did you wait for the entire load before starting? I have the accuracy on one of my data screens and it is always 15ft - 18ft when I am at our local track. My Garmin has shown laps of .24, .25, or .26 and of course lane choice will have an affect on the lap distance. I have run the track with normal sampling and 1 second sampling and agree that the 1 second sampling is overkill - the normal does just fine.
                              Please stoppy bad talky about Garmin! I just (finally) ordered one yesterday. I know it won't be perfect, but hey, the idea of relevantly accurate distance info (how accurate do you think your car odometer is?), heart rate info and skin cancer protection for my wrist was enough to sell me.

Prophet!

still waiting for Garmin to use kinematic GPS system. With a base unit, it would improve the accuracy.