The “Guess when Boston registration will close out” thread! Closed 7:54 AM EST on 1-26-09 (Read 1057 times)

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

The Boston Marathon Registration is closed now. I will mark the closing time as 7:54 AM EST on 1-26-09 unless someone knows it closed earlier than that. Update: The Boston Marathon website shows that the most recent registration was 01/24/2009. So I guess that is the official Closed date. No one guessed that early anyway! The title says it all! Please post what day you think the 2009 Boston Marathon registration will close out on. The cap is 25000 entrants but the registration usually closes before it shows that many entrants. Here is the data I have been collecting over the last few days. Ok so it looks like the Boston marathon is filling up quickly! I checked on their site at the link below and as of 1/5/09 there are 9541 males and 7014 females signed up. http://www.bostonmarathon.org/2009/cf/Public/EntryLists.cfm?mode=entry 1-8-2009 7:43 AM EST Males = 9838 Females = 7195 Total = 17033 7967 spots left 1-11-2009 9:53 PM EST Males = 10381 Females = 7629 Total = 18010 6990 spots left 1-14-2009 12:55 PM EST Males = 10871 Females = 7979 Total = 18850 6150 spots left 1-15-2009 11:05 AM EST Males = 11005 Females = 8086 Total = 19091 5909 spots left 1-16-2009 11:07 AM EST Males = 11134 Females = 8169 Total = 19303 5697 spots left 1-18-2009 8:18 PM EST Total = 19559 5441 spots left 1-21-2009 1:03 PM EST Total = 20006 4994 spots left 1-26-2009 7:50 AM EST Total = 20643 4357 Spots Left It closed out somewhere around 2/22-2/27 last year. So what is your guess? All guesses before my Feb 14th attempt to qualify will be stricken from the record! Just kidding of course. The interesting thing is that the last chance for Boston marathon is 2/15/09. It is likely that it will close out by then. My guess is that Boston registration will close out at 8:00 AM on 1/26/09. I think the Houston and Miami marathons will take the remainder of the spots. Please include a time you think it will close in the event there is a tie. Closet one without going over wins an “Atta Baby”. No much incentive but fun anyway.
    xor

If we guess, does this mean you won't be bumping that other thread with the same stuff? Big grin BTW, it's not just Houston and Miami this weekend... it's also rnr AZ, which is a fast course like Houston. That said, I'll mail you five bucks if 5900 spots at Boston get utilized immediately after these three races. Not that many people are going to BQ, and out of those who BQ, only a smaller % will sign up for Boston. I'll be back later with my guess.

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

If we guess, does this mean you won't be bumping that other thread with the same stuff? Big grin BTW, it's not just Houston and Miami this weekend... it's also rnr AZ, which is a fast course like Houston. That said, I'll mail you five bucks if 5900 spots at Boston get utilized immediately after these three races. Not that many people are going to BQ, and out of those who BQ, only a smaller % will sign up for Boston. I'll be back later with my guess.
        Yea I created this thread in order to separate it from the content on the other thread. I thought it would be kind of fun to guess. Also it is a good way to document how fast it fills up this year so that people can gauge how fast it will fill up next year. Some of us need all the help we can get in order to reach this goal. Remember that registration can close before they hit the 25000 cap. There might only be a few thousand spots that are actually left. By the looks of the trends over the last few days a few thousand spots will probably get processed in the next 2 weeks. So what is your guess?

Go Pre!

it closed out for me last November when I failed to qualify.
          JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

it closed out for me last November when I failed to qualify.
            So when is your next attempt? Come run Myrtle! It is as flat as it gets. What time do you need?
            xor

So when is your next attempt? Come run Myrtle! It is as flat as it gets. What time do you need?
              You've been so worried that Boston would sell out that you haven't noticed that Myrtle sold out Smile.

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

You've been so worried that Boston would sell out that you haven't noticed that Myrtle sold out Smile.
                Yea that actually got me into a bit of trouble. My wife was scheduled to run the half at Myrtle while I ran the full. I forgot to sign up until just before Christmas. Of course the Half was way past sold out and the full was darn close! I got signed up for the full but my wife couldn’t sign up for the half. It is probably for the better though. She had MAJOR stress fractures in both of her femurs after her last Half marathon. She finished with a 5 minute PR(2:03:15) but she was in traction for 3 months after that. That was not fun! Is it just me, or is running making a comeback? Every race seems absolutely packed this year. Our local races have 400-600 people instead of 40 now! There is no better time to be a runner than now! Well unless you are trying to register for a soon to be closed out race!
                mikeymike

Why does it matter how man men vs. women are entered? By the way there are now 19,303 people registered, including me. It took about 5 days from when I registered online until my name showed up on the website so there are probably a thousand entries queued up waiting for someone to verify qualifying times etc right this minute. My guess is the end of January. Sorry bro.

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

Sounds like you should fly to houston, or miami or phoenix this weekend then!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

Maybe they'll play it like Disney and list it as 99% full!! for a couple months even though people are clearly continuing to register. Hopefully. Anyway, my guess is that it fills on Thursday, 2/5 at 11:56am EST. It would be cool too if it closed on 2/13. Not because I want it to be a big knife in your gut right before your race... not at all. I just think it would be fun if it closed on Friday the 13th.

Skooter 3.0

There's a Friday the 13th in March too! Holy bad luck Batman!!!

Goals?

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

It would be cool too if it closed on 2/13. Not because I want it to be a big knife in your gut right before your race..
                          Cruel....So Cruel. It just so happens that if you figure that about 200 people get registered every day then it will close out in exactly 4 weeks. That happens to be the Friday the 13th you spoke of. That is probably a good guess.
                          JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Why does it matter how man men vs. women are entered?
                            Because it won't let you search by how many people are registered. It will only allow you to search by how many males and how many females. Congrats on running Boston by the way. Hopefully, I can join you there one day.

Lazy idiot

There's a Friday the 13th in March too! Holy bad luck Batman!!!
                              My wedding date was Friday the 13th. And I have no guess as to when this marathon will close it's registration window.

Tick tock

mikeymike

Because it won't let you search by how many people are registered. It will only allow you to search by how many males and how many females.
                                Just select age range up to 100 and it shows the total number. mta: assuming nobody over 100 years has registered.

Runners run