Stevie Ray's Honolulu Marathon report (Read 756 times)

xor

My Honolulu Marathon wasn't much of an epic race, but I had fun anyway. Here is my report for those who are bored or simply want to know what this particular race is like. I did not win and you won't be reading about anything close to a BQ or blood-and-guts experience. As always, reports for a ton (literally, 2000 pounds) of other races can be found over there.

Imminent Catastrophe

Ah yes, the Ala Moana, I've stayed there many times. I hope they fixed the elevators. In my not-so-vast experience the walkers at that race are the absolute worst for lining up at the front and obstructing. Nice job SRL!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Ah yes, the Ala Moana, I've stayed there many times. I hope they fixed the elevators. In my not-so-vast experience the walkers at that race are the absolute worst for lining up at the front and obstructing. Nice job SRL!
        The only people staying there besides Japanese runners and one family from Missouri were flight crews. Tons of them. In my middling experience, the front-walkers are indeed the worst in that race.

My favorite aunt lives there and has told me to come on out for the marathon...but meh, SR, after reading your report it doesn't look that fun. Would be cool to run with the Japanese, though. Hope you didn't gain any wt from eating all those cookies.
          bhearn

So... what's your favorite Hawaiian marathon? I haven't run there yet, and I'm overdue for a Hawaiian vacation. I hope your dachshund is better!
            xor

So... what's your favorite Hawaiian marathon? I haven't run there yet, and I'm overdue for a Hawaiian vacation. I hope your dachshund is better!
              Hi Bob. My personal fav is Kona (June), but that's mostly because it is my 'home' course and it is the same basic course they use for ironman. I don't usually point mainlanders at it for their first, though, because it is 1) very low key and 2) HOT, even by Hawai'i standards. I point people at the Maui Marathon (Sept). Very nice race with great ocean sights in the second half. Just challenging enough to make it interesting, but not Holy Crap difficult. Well supported too. Maui will have two new marathons in 2009, both this month. The Maui Paradise Marathon on 1/11 is one that we don't know much about. tp! does though; he certified it Smile. The other one is on 1/25. It's owned by the guy who owns the Tahoe races. He also does a 15k (used to be a half marathon) on Maui the week before the new marathon. This race has been around for a few years and has been ok. There's also a new marathon on Kaua'i on labor day weekend this year. Don't know much about this one either. For completeness... there's a marathon in Hilo in mid-March. Low key... less challenging course than the others, usually cooler (though not cool) weather in Hilo. For those from the mainland who want to BQ, this is where I point them. But it isn't a terribly scenic race after M8, so I don't point everyone there. There's also the Kilauea Trail Marathon in July. Fun experience because it is in Volcanoes National Park and it is truly truly hard. Alas, Kilauea is quite active and last year they had to completely change the course. No idea what this year will be like. There are a ton of ultras to consider as well Smile. As for baby Tobias, it'll be a long road, but he's certainly better than he was. Thanks!

bhearn

For completeness... there's a marathon in Hilo in mid-March. Low key... less challenging course than the others, usually cooler (though not cool) weather in Hilo. For those from the mainland who want to BQ, this is where I point them. But it isn't a terribly scenic race after M8, so I don't point everyone there.
                Bump. How would you compare this to other fast courses? The course description is "Start to mile 10 is a net downhill of 500 ft., with some hills in the first 8 miles but fairly flat after that." Sounds like it could be fast... depending on those hills. Could also maybe trash your quads early. Also the "though not cool" bothers me. I'm hemming and hawing about my sub-3:00 target. Thing is, we're overdue for a Hawaiian vacation, and will definitely be going before my current target of Newport, 5/30. Training hard and counting calories in Hawaii is no fun. Sad If I could somehow manage to be in shape by 3/22... Well, I guess another option is go for it at Boston or Eugene, then put off Hawaii until our anniversary, late May.
                bhearn

Ah... nevermind... average low for 3/22 in Hilo: 65°. That would rule it out as a fast race for me. Even the record low -- 59 -- wouldn't really cut it.
                  xor

Ah... nevermind... average low for 3/22 in Hilo: 65°. That would rule it out as a fast race for me. Even the record low -- 59 -- wouldn't really cut it.
                    Heh. Yeah. Cool by Hawai'ian standards. There's an interesting subset of folks who are trying to BQ in every state... Hawai'i being one of the trickier ones (Colorado is another). Hilo is where I point them, but they still have to gut it out.

Imminent Catastrophe

I got a kick out of all the runners at HM who were wearing trashbags and sweatshirts to protect them from the brutally cold conditions before the start. Those were the newbies, the slow ones, who lined up at the front.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016