How does one make arrangements with the race day fairy? (Read 1338 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That's pretty funny, slowgino.  In spite of your success, probably not the recommended way to run your races.

fanreffic

Based on the story, I'd bet $10 he was stoned and just 'dreamed' that he ran either race.  He was probably in a cloudy basement the whole time.
        That's pretty funny, slowgino.  In spite of your success, probably not the recommended way to run your races.

Definitely not recommended.  The second one was just on a spur-of-the-moment wild idea when I couldn't get back to sleep.  My most interesting lesson from this was : If I had planned to do this, there's no way I could have done it... if I had known that I was going to run Seattle, there's no way I could have run that 2:57 PR in Portland.  (note - in 1978 Portland and Seattle were run on the same weekend... not so these days.)

My climbing partner had told me that he would be staying with a friend in Seattle in a condo with a hot tub, so if I decided to run Seattle instead of Portland he'd meet me at the finish there so I'd have a good place to crash.  Since he didn't know which race I would choose to run he just hung around the finish line in Seattle until about the 3:30 point in the race and assumed I hadn't run it (normally, I'd have finished by then.)  So he wasn't there when I finished in 3:41... that was a bit disappointing... I just drove 180 miles back home... arghh, that was the hardest part, not falling asleep...

Anyway, I tell people "You have no idea what you are capable of, or what your real limits are..."