2015 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 689 times)

doctorjen

Ugh, just lost almost a week to a respiratory bug. I was finally feeling better this weekend, though, and did my first 20 miler today. Most of my running group long ran yesterday, but several friends were kind enough to tag team me through the morning so I didn't have to do much solo running. And then another friend met me at the finish with a special surprise he obtained for me at a conference that had a charity 5K associated and a guest of honor:

Meb

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=13839145028/a=17596165028_17596165028/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

No wall squats, but plenty of snow shovel cross training in my neck of the woods (heaving the snow over my head now to clear the banks) and then lots of bounding and jumping (out of the way of traffic and over snow banks).

I am getting the miles in but I can't say I am really "training" well. I am grateful for Yak Tracks, the nice guy who plows a good stretch of the bike path here, and the open-in-the morning indoor track nearby. I even ran up and down the stairs in my house (two flights) x 50 one day last week. The dog was freaked out and my husband just arched an eyebrow and shook his head.

I think I am going to try Mikey Mike's plan and focus on VCM and use Boston as a training run with a fast finish.

Train on friends, train on.....time to get back to reading the New Mexico real estate section.

Ran 19 miles today and 12 yesterday, so at least some decent miles for the weekend.

Julia1971

Ugh, just lost almost a week to a respiratory bug. I was finally feeling better this weekend, though, and did my first 20 miler today. Most of my running group long ran yesterday, but several friends were kind enough to tag team me through the morning so I didn't have to do much solo running. And then another friend met me at the finish with a special surprise he obtained for me at a conference that had a charity 5K associated and a guest of honor:

Meb

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=13839145028/a=17596165028_17596165028/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Very cool.

Julia1971

The dog was freaked out and my husband just arched an eyebrow and shook his head.

LOL!  Hey - do what ya gotta do.  Smile

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

LOL!  Hey - do what ya gotta do.  Smile

Yeah, I would arch an eyebrow and shake my head, too. Smile

Sayhey! MM#130

Hey northernman, I tried those wall squats and about limped around for a few days after!  Must try those again in a few weeks, maybe.

Not going to Karinize my stairs, however.  Got no snow, but also got no hills, but for bridges.

Think about a "last minute travel" deal Last Minute  to Florida.  We've got marathons here just about every weekend; it's the "season."

Really; you deserve it, and I betcha the snow will be there when you get back.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

Train on friends, train on.....time to get back to reading the New Mexico real estate section.

Come here.  We have green grass where they have rocks and gravel.  And the shore.  Lotsa flowers.

O yeah, and right HERE, we have the Red Sox in a week for a while.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Not going to Karinize my stairs, however.  Got no snow, but also got no hills, but for bridges.

Love ya Aamos! And I almost had another stairs session, but I am hanging in there and using Yak Trax and Smith indoor track sessions when I can. And I'd love to traveling your way....alas, no can do and work travel seems programmed for non-warm climates for weeks to come.

Julia1971

I have to confess: I fled to Florida last week.    But, I went too soon!  It looks like the week ahead is going to be super cold.

Hang in there runners in the cold places!

northernman

Fight The Future

No matter to me, I am relegated to the indoor tracks no matter the temp once the ice happens. I'm too old and clumsy to risk slipping and falling. On a good note, I get a week in southern California at the end of Feb, so jazzed about that.

Mostly training is going well - I find my paces are gradually picking up at the same effort levels, and I've lost 5 pounds so far. 5 more to go. Unfortunatley I am starting to get a bit of crud in the lungs, but I feel like it will go away quickly. Had some chest pain with a few of my tempo runs, but had it checked out by cardiology and they said to stop being a wimp and get back out there. (normal stress echo and all). Best of all, my previously injured leg is essentially pain free. I'm going to stick with your method of new shoes every 300 miles. If it works, it's well worth the cost.

Hope everyone is staying healthy!

runnershawn

I have to confess: I fled to Florida last week.    But, I went too soon!  It looks like the week ahead is going to be super cold.

Hang in there runners in the cold places!

Thanks it was cold today.  Think someone had -2, but warmed up to 5 or so by end.  Not much breeze so windchill was -10 to -20 .  The hardest thing is running with over 6 feet snowbanks and cars can't see you.  We found a good route today that was almost car free for most of the run.  After about 2-3 miles my hands and feet defrosted and run went well.  First 20 miler of the year and kept it easy and stopped only at 16 for sip of water and GU.  Trying not to bring water or gu's on long runs this year and if I do use them it will be very sparingly.  Think this will help teach the body run drained.

We are getting a Blizzard tonight and into tomorrow and no warm temps in site.  These banks will be like 10 feet in places.  2 weeks till March!!!

Happy Training All

Julia1971

No matter to me, I am relegated to the indoor tracks no matter the temp once the ice happens. I'm too old and clumsy to risk slipping and falling. On a good note, I get a week in southern California at the end of Feb, so jazzed about that.

Mostly training is going well - I find my paces are gradually picking up at the same effort levels, and I've lost 5 pounds so far. 5 more to go. Unfortunatley I am starting to get a bit of crud in the lungs, but I feel like it will go away quickly. Had some chest pain with a few of my tempo runs, but had it checked out by cardiology and they said to stop being a wimp and get back out there. (normal stress echo and all). Best of all, my previously injured leg is essentially pain free. I'm going to stick with your method of new shoes every 300 miles. If it works, it's well worth the cost.

Hope everyone is staying healthy!

Good on you for going to the cardiologist.  Glad it checked out... I hope your leg continues to feel better.  I've been having some pain in my left Achilles.  I took a day off and ran easy for another two days.  I think it's on the mend, now.  It hurts a little during the first mile or so of my runs but then goes away.  (Sure enough, all but one pair of my shoes were in the high 200s).  I did an interval workout today and it held up.

Julia1971

Thanks it was cold today.  Think someone had -2, but warmed up to 5 or so by end.  Not much breeze so windchill was -10 to -20 .  The hardest thing is running with over 6 feet snowbanks and cars can't see you.  We found a good route today that was almost car free for most of the run.  After about 2-3 miles my hands and feet defrosted and run went well.  First 20 miler of the year and kept it easy and stopped only at 16 for sip of water and GU.  Trying not to bring water or gu's on long runs this year and if I do use them it will be very sparingly.  Think this will help teach the body run drained.

We are getting a Blizzard tonight and into tomorrow and no warm temps in site.  These banks will be like 10 feet in places.  2 weeks till March!!!

Happy Training All

I hadn't thought about that aspect.  Be careful out there. And, congrats on the first 20 miler!  It always feels good to have the first one out of the way.

Just B.S.

I hadn't thought about that aspect.  Be careful out there. And, congrats on the first 20 miler!  It always feels good to have the first one out of the way.

15 years of being  a year round runner and first year that  the majority of my running has been on the

treadmill.  With a winter to date accumulation of 147 inches, It's awful running on the mill so much but better than being dead or injured. Smile

Julia1971

15 years of being  a year round runner and first year that  the majority of my running has been on the

treadmill.  With a winter to date accumulation of 147 inches, It's awful running on the mill so much but better than being dead or injured. Smile

Wow.  When Canadians start complaining about snow, that's bad.  Wink

Leave it to me: with all the snow and ice on the ground, I manage to trip on a clean slab of raised sidewalk last weekend. Sad  It scared me more than anything - one second I was running and the next, I was on the ground.  I stopped my Garmin (of course) and assessed the damage: multiple scrapes on my knee and torn Sugoi Sub Zero tights (guess which one upset me more).  A few days later and my knee is fine but I the scrapes are now throbbing, scabby things.

15 days until my goal spring marathon and I'm having a hard time believing it will be warmer than 40 degrees at race start.  It's nice knowing I have Boston as my back-up, though.  Smile