2015 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 689 times)

onemile

I am planning to run it.  Not as a goal race though.  Winter marathon training isn't for me.  

bhearn

In for Boston #11. I have this course dialed in; I've negative split all but the first two years. And run 3 PRs there. Happy to offer custom pace bands. They are way better than what you will get on the linked site above.

northernman

Fight The Future

I'm in, too, at least for now, mainly since you encouraged me to sign up this year, Julia. This will be my second; first was 2013. Due to injuries over the last year, I'm just hoping to requalify with a 3:40. My training will primarily be Gallowalking or MAF running for a few more months, then I'll sneak in some faster runs that I got from the Hansons book. Hope my various injured body parts won't notice the quality runs! Good luck to us all...

This will be my 5th Boston. I might be on the same plan as Mikey as far as Vermont goal race, with running Boston for "fun". Easier said than done.

Feeling the growl again

I'm in.  2001, 2004, 2011...this would be my 4th.  I have the pipe dream of a PR, but the longer I am fat and out of shape the more ridiculous this becomes.

A Boston PR should (SHOULD) not be all that hard.  2:37.  I went there in 2004 with 2:26 in mind, but the 85F temps had other ideas (although I'll never top the placing I had that year in any major marathon).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bhearn

Boston also has to be a fun run for me this year, alas, because I have Umstead 100 two weeks earlier.

No Talent Drips

I'm in. 8th Boston...missed one the-tthe first year it filled up early (2010, January was early then.)--so now I have new streak going with this being my 5th consecutive. My guess is that it will be my spring goal race. Not so sure about time goal yet, but if I can stay somewhat healthy and lose some weight (after having taken the summer off), I'd like to break 2:50. Pipe-dreams and whatnot...

Dei Gratia

djschroeder4

This will be my 3rd Boston.  I didn't plan on going back for 2014 until the bombing and then I knew I had to.  I fell apart in 2014 so I have unfinished business out there.  The goal is to go under 2:47.  My training plan is yet to be determined.

Mysecondnewname

2015 will be my first!

At this time, I am only planning to run it once.

Famous last words?  Perhaps.  However, I'm an older runner and only run 2 marathons each year.  One of my goals is to run all of the iconic races before my racing days are done.   Therefore, I'm gearing up to train hard and to read up on everything I can about the course and the history of the race so I can really enjoy the whole experience as much as possible.

Looking forward to reading all of your sage advice for first timers.

#4 for me. 2010, 2011 & 2013. Don't have a time goal (yet). Had one great race (2010), a horrible crash & burn in 2011 and an injured 2013, which was also the year of the bombing. Had PR's in Houston and Chicago this year, don't think I can top the time on the Boston course but would like a course PR. Dealing with hamstring injury right now. Been training with Hansons last two marathons with great success.

We shall see

FSBD

This will be my first Boston.  Right now I foresee it being a one shot deal.  After the VCM last year I swore off spring marathons so we will see how training and racing go to see if I stick to that decision.  As far as a training plan goes I think I'm going to follow something similar to what I did this past summer leading up to Baystate.  So I will try to do a hill, a tempo, and a long run every week with some intervals sprinkled in as well, then just a lot of easy running in between.  I think I have December 15th marked as the day to really kick off the training plan.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

I am registered for Boston.....this will be my 2nd time.....2014 I got a last minute gift bib from a sponsor - - in 1994 and 1995 I had qualifying times - but got sick, both years prior to race day.  So 2015 was to be my first official start - and I still might make it to the starting line.

BUT - I've been injured since my fall marathon - and after 6 weeks have FINALLY begun to run/walk a bit.  I am day to day - and have to set expectations appropriately.  I don't just want to run Boston - I want to be able to train full on and give it a go.  If that isn't possible I will sit it out and hit it up in 2016.

That being said - Pfitz 12/70 for me please.  Worked like a charm in the fall.....why not do it again.

Ready, go.

I am in and thanks Julia! This will be Boston # 11 and likely the focus of training. I'll probably run VCM (and especially if it ends up in the USATF-NE Grand Prix series), but Boston is still the golden ring I'll reach for with focus.

I'd love to run between 3:15 and 3:20. It's 20 weeks away!

I'm in for Boston. As per the usual, my goal will be <3:00:00 and failing that to PR or if not that to re-qualify.

No training plan, but hopefully this doesn't mean no training as it did in 2014.

This will be my 2nd Boston.

Imminent Catastrophe

Third time for me, probably the last. 2013 bombing, 2014 redemption. Hopefully 2015 will be "uneventful".

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016