2015 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 689 times)

FSBD

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

I'm in. It'll be my 4'th Boston. So far I've had one with searing hamstring pain for most of the race (but no way in hell was I going to drop since it was my first), one with temps roughly akin to the surface of the sun, and one that went exactly the way I wanted. Call me crazy, but I liked that last one the best, so I think I'll try to repeat that if possible. We'll see.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

I probably submitted my updated BQ around the same time or maybe even a bit earlier. I didn't get an email or updated card. Actually, I think I received the postcard with my original BQ after I submitted my updated time. So...??

I submitted my updated qualifying time about a month ago but haven't heard anything.  Will they send a new postcard confirmation? I think I accidentally threw mine out.

northernman

Fight The Future

Wow, so many of us are recovering from injuries for this race. I wonder what percent of people registered for Boston already are injured? I've been trying hard over the last month to run really really slowly, to give my shin and foot time to heal. Was doing great until yesterday when I made the mistake of listening to some boppin music on my iPod, and I suddenly couldn't take it anymore. I cranked it up to become a 11 mile tempo run. Felt great! So far, no leg pain, and I'm lying low pretending I didn't lose control. (Must…jog…slowly…for.. next ..week)

Paced my 70 year old dad yesterday at the California International Marathon to a BQ time.  Hopefully he'll get in for 2016.

Julia1971

Wow, so many of us are recovering from injuries for this race. I wonder what percent of people registered for Boston already are injured? I've been trying hard over the last month to run really really slowly, to give my shin and foot time to heal. Was doing great until yesterday when I made the mistake of listening to some boppin music on my iPod, and I suddenly couldn't take it anymore. I cranked it up to become a 11 mile tempo run. Felt great! So far, no leg pain, and I'm lying low pretending I didn't lose control. (Must…jog…slowly…for.. next ..week)

I noticed that, too.  Sending healing thoughts to everyone.  Still lots of time for training.

I'm glad you're running Boston, though!  Sorry for roping you into it. 

I got to be, "that crazy runner" today - 13 miles in cold, rainy conditions.  I need to join a gym so I can have access to a treadmill.

bhearn

I expect to submit a new time this weekend, so we will have one more data point. If I don't... that will be bad.

Update submitted, 20-min improvement. Back into the first wave, yay. Weird thing, though, Tucson 2014 was not in the popup list of qualifying races...? 2013 was. Weird. So I had to enter it manually.

bhearn

This year, hard to say. The trend is for faster corral/wave cutoffs every year, but 2015 will have a smaller field than 2014. Also, it would depend on three vs. four waves... I seem to recall them planning to stay with four, but I could be wrong.

Would it be preferable to be at the start of the 2nd?  Or end of the 1st?

Ready, go.

bhearn

Depends on what you prefer, also how hot it's going to get. (Remember, every minute later you start is not just a minute warmer -- you're trading a minute at the beginning, when it's cool, for a minute at the end, when it's hot. My Deep Insight of the day; you're welcome.)

I think most people would probably have more fun at the start of the 2nd. But you can't really control that. They will let you move from wave 1 to wave 2, but not to wave 2 corral 1.

bhearn

So a 3:13 will be right on the edge between 1st and 2nd??

Oh right. It looks like 30,000 people with four waves, which would probably push the first-wave cutoff under 3:10. Yowch!

http://www.runnersworld.com/boston-marathon/2015-boston-marathon-will-likely-have-field-of-30000

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Depends on what you prefer, also how hot it's going to get. (Remember, every minute later you start is not just a minute warmer -- you're trading a minute at the beginning, when it's cool, for a minute at the end, when it's hot. My Deep Insight of the day; you're welcome.)

Yes, I felt that Rita Jeptoo had an advantage over me, since she started an hour and a half before me.

mikeymike

Yes, I felt that Rita Jeptoo had an advantage over me, since she started an hour and a half before me.

That plus the DOPE.

Runners run