How to incorporate some summer track racing with marathon training? (Read 54 times)

Joann Y

Weekly (free!) track racing sounds like a lot of fun and a great way to do a compound workout. In support of others' points, making it a shorter but faster part of a longer workout makes a lot of sense. Nearby here there is an inexpensive ($2) weekly 5K I often run. I don't race it every week, but often do turn it into a workout. What I don't do, but will now think about doing, is to run it as part of a longer workout, say a 6 mile tempo run. The assisted aspect of the race means that I would have company for the earlier half, or even better, the later half of a longer tempo run. Then running the 2 miles to and from home would give me a solid 10-11 miles and a quality workout on a weekday.

If there was a free race series nearby, I'd be doing it as much as possible. But, yes, keep a close eye on that line you're riding.

Thank you jpdeaux, I will keep an eye. Smile

MTA: Not literally, of course. Figuratively.

kcam

Ken - where are the track races?  This is near San Jose, right?  30 years ago ran a bit of Corporate Cup Relays, wasn't fast but had fun.

Thanks!

Ray

These are in Los Gatos.  There's a sprinkling of old guys and gals and a lot of HS and younger runners.