Columbus -- My Dark Journey (Read 939 times)

Slimbo,

Thanks looks like a very nice run, are you running it? 

Flight times and length of flight looks would turn into a 4 day travel which may be a bit much that close to the holidays.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Slimbo,

Thanks looks like a very nice run, are you running it? 

Flight times and length of flight looks would turn into a 4 day travel which may be a bit much that close to the holidays.

I booked the hotel ... haven't signed up for the race yet nor booked flights -- could cancel the hotel a week out without penalty.  See how the next 2 weeks go with running ... then the delicate task of sharing my intentions with the DW -- have a feeling it will go over like a lead balloon.  [Out Friday and back Sunday = 3 days]

2012= under-goaled

Nice job robert. Sucks about the hamstring though. Mine was giving me hell at pittsburgh this spring, and it came back to haunt me at erie. Stupid thing. I think that's something that may bug you for a while! I just hope its ok at MCM this wkd. But congrats on a good race, you'll get your goal soon!
          Ouch...  My hammie is having sympathy pains for yours.  Good job on the PR!

Skeeter,

Thanks ... Seeing you Gut out Erie was one a driving factor that kept me going the last 6 miles.  Could not really stop and/or walk since some mean guy would not let you

Slimbo,

Know what you mean about the lead balloon thing with DW, mine has been on the "I don't think you should do these anymore" kick so will wait at least till I can walk normally before springing another potential marathon.  Costs and times are looking real good for Rocket City, Can get Flight/Hotel 2 nights /Car 2 days for like $370.  Probably still need 3 days as no late flights out to ctown on Saturday.  Tuscon looked like it would be a lot more $$ for me.

Maybe that could be an alternative for you if the lead balloon sinks with the Tuscon idea?  I think a handfull of other RAers will be there based on Fall Marathon thread.

paul_26.2 Rocket City
            perfresserR Rocket City
            pRED       Rocket City
            Trent Rocket City

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

I look my best blurry!

Great job on the PR.  Even with optimal training you still can have issues pop up.  Could nutrition/hydration be a factor?  I started practicing drinking fluids during runs just to get the hang of it to make sure I stay hydrated.  I also started taking performance vitamins daily and eating bananas before runs at the recommendation of a cross country coach and have had no cramping.  Admittedly, my longest run was a half marathon so far.  Sometimes not reaching your goal is just what you need to keep going.  Good luck reaching it the next time! 

Love your mile by mile!

I thought of you, Buckeye, Sat at mile 12 of my half.  I just want you to know that I made it!  You actually encouraged me very much.  Thanks!

Could nutrition/hydration be a factor?  

I thought about that and although possible, I don't think major factor, as it started way to soon @ mile 10.  Although I might have consumed a little less than should, still more than I normally did in 10 milers and halfs raced in much warmer weather (Aug /Sep) and at faster paces.

I thought of you, Buckeye, Sat at mile 12 of my half.  I just want you to know that I made it!  You actually encouraged me very much.  Thanks!

Glad to hear that ... when you had posted question about if ready to run I thought you were looking ahead a bit in the next few months, not running out and racing the half a few days later 

Good Job on your First, just think if you actually planned to race it more than 2 days in advance.

I look my best blurry!

I REALLY didn't.  I think I overtrained for the 5Ks.  They felt to easy.  I was hungry for a challenge.  In addition, I think I had some underlying natural ability that I didn't know I had.   For God's sakes I'm 43!  I ran one pathetic year of cross country in high school and never ran again until now.  I am shocking myself and all of my friends.   Seriously, the novice training link you sent me made me realize how ready I was.  I am going to start using that site for training.

I look my best blurry!

I also think I passed on some of the genes to my daughter.  She ran a mile race on Oct 2 in 5:54!!!  15 minutes later she ran the 5K in 22:41!!  She is 11.  She plays soccer 2 days a week but has never run distance before.  Amazing...