Beer mile Co2 science (Read 108 times)

Feeling the growl again

Not at the expense of making it less enjoyable of an experience or all of a sudden "serious".  THAT was my point Kevin.  But I'm sure you understood that.

Less enjoyable?  We're still talking about the beer mile, right?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

ultramarathon/triathlete

Man, I love the beer mile.  It's a chance to unwind with friends, do some low pressure but hard ass running, do some drinking, bar afterwards.  I try to get 3 or so in per season.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

Not at the expense of making it less enjoyable of an experience or all of a sudden "serious".  THAT was my point Kevin.  But I'm sure you understood that.

Well, actually, I'm not sure I did understand that. It is, after all, a race. It's timed. People try and finish as fast as they can. Of course, it's fun. Regular sober races are fun too. You can see where there reads an inherent conflict in, oh it's all in good fun, but here's my PR and I finished in 2nd place. One could interpret that as a bit of a humblebrag, but you've cleared it up now, so it's all good.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

I might be one of the only people who do not understand the logistics of a beer mile.

I understand the Spaniel Farms beer mile and how that works since it's on private property.

But how does a beer mile actually happen?

Isn't it illegal to consume alcohol on a highschool / college track?

Isn't there a large enough risk that would minimize how often these events might occur?

Do most of these events happen on track or through private property?

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

ultramarathon/triathlete

I guess my opinion of the beer mile, and what I was attempting (failing) to illustrate is what I feel is the essence.  Clearly that's not everyone's opinion and that's cool.  I just think the whole race can be over thought.  Just drink. Run.  Repeat.  Don't over think it.  I had a guy last week saying he ate a bunch of pepto tabs before hand.  We were all:  Dude, wtf?!  You're over thinking this.  Do we still like him? Sure!

I'm reminded of an episode of Top Gear where they're taking this super high end Nissan around the track.  It's gotta be one the fastest cars these guys have sat in (and around a million bucks or something too.. for a Nissan!).  End of the day, they say it's awesome.  Super fast.  Kills ferraris, lambos, etc.  But do they like it?  Nope.  It feels over engineered.  Nissan has taken the fun out of an experience by doing everything they scientifically can to get it a few fractions of a second faster.   It's probably like a harley that's quiet.  More efficient, probably.  Misses the point of a hog though, right?

So, whatever.  If I'm at a track and we're lined up for the beer mile and you're sippin warm beer at just the right angle, I'm sure we'll both have a good time and keep drinking afterwards.

As for the time mentioned and the place mention.  Of course that's a brag!  Who else am I going to tell these things to?  My co-workers who don't run?  My parents who've never been drunk and like just a glass of wine with dinner.  Or other runners?   :-P

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

I might be one of the only people who do not understand the logistics of a beer mile.

I understand the Spaniel Farms beer mile and how that works since it's on private property.

Isn't there a large enough risk that would minimize how often these events might occur?

Interesting question and probably what stops more people from enjoying a beer mile.  The one's I've done have either been in a public park or public track.  Not school tracks, but I'm sure it still violates city open container laws.  The one my wife did last night was on a public track and was soooo on the DL that it almost became not fun (according to some of my friends that went, I missed that one to watch the kids).   When I did mine last weekend, it was a different public track and the parks police drove by veeerrrry slowly watching the 25+ or so of us as we were milling around just about to set our stuff up.  We kept things in brown bags and actually thought for a moment it wasn't gonna happen.   Then the guy drove off and left us alone.  We had several others there not running it who grabbed all the discarded cans immediately and had our own garbage for them.  So we didn't leave any mess or any cause to annoy the parks police.   We also tend to wait until November to do them.  It's cold out and not as many (or any) people at the track.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

Feeling the growl again

If I were to run a beer mile on a real  track, I'd probably be in the 6:20s and I'd love to have that time for a PR.  But it's never happened for precisely the reasons you cite -- there are few places it doesn't break the law.  As RAers who have attended can attest, my track is accurate but not fast because it is uneven enough to slow you down considerably, and there is a small hill in turn 4.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

my track is accurate but not fast because it is uneven enough to slow you down considerably, and there is a small hill in turn 4.

It seems like this could be resolved via a beer mile event with an entry fee of a shovel and hard labor.

C-R

It seems like this could be resolved via a beer mile event with an entry fee of a shovel and hard labor.

You've not seen the hill. Heavy equipment is not optional.

No one has complained as it adds to the fun. No WR but who cares.

Oh and beers like Fat Tire do not help in the CO2 issue. Or so I'm told.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

The roughness could be fixed with a really heavy roller or a grader.  Which brings us back to not taking the beer mile too seriously.  Smile

Yooper3.1

I've only recently heard of the beer mile, so please forgive me if this question is silly:  are you allowed to "shot-gun" a beer (i.e., punch a hole in the bottom of the can, hold it up to your mouth and open the top)?  I have no problem breaking the law, but I'd hate to violate the BM rules.

xhristopher

I've only recently heard of the beer mile, so please forgive me if this question is silly:  are you allowed to "shot-gun" a beer (i.e., punch a hole in the bottom of the can, hold it up to your mouth and open the top)?  I have no problem breaking the law, but I'd hate to violate the BM rules.

Nope.

Here are the rules.

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

No WR but who cares.

Oh and beers like Fat Tire do not help in the CO2 issue. Or so I'm told.

The roughness could be fixed with a really heavy roller or a grader.  Which brings us back to not taking the beer mile too seriously.  Smile

Haha, well, okay. But eric Smile could still be encouraged to provide a beer mile predictor over at https://www.runningahead.com/tools/calculators.

Yooper3.1

Feeling the growl again

Haha, well, okay. But eric Smile could still be encouraged to provide a beer mile predictor over at https://www.runningahead.com/tools/calculators.

You cannot have a predictor for a beer mile.  Fast people can drink slowly and slow runners can drink fast.